PDA

View Full Version : NFYR update

PV_Premier
08-24-2015, 08:38 AM
the seasons are starting to turn and the fishing is a little better this week on the NFYR than it has been, probably due to the cooler nights. flows are still dropping, the rain can't start soon enough.

spent about 4 hours fishing near Sierra City on Sunday afternoon, hit a bit of a lull from 12:30-1:30, but otherwise steady action with water temps under 60 all afternoon.

landed a ton of fish (30+), including 4 fairly good size ones (10-13") from a single plunge pool. in total i had 10 fish over 10" on the afternoon covering about 3/4 mile of water.

saw a ton of hoppers and the fish are definitely keyed in on them. ant patterns and parachute adams will also get the grabs. a lot of the fish are tucked up in the froth of the plunge pools and riffles, the long/slow/shallow runs are not producing as much action.

mattv-mcfly
08-25-2015, 05:40 PM
Do most anglers fish past Sierra City or do they stay in the Wild Trout stretch?
My first trip to the NFYR was a bit of a bust. I found a lot of low water.

PV_Premier
08-26-2015, 10:59 AM
deeper runs and plunge pools with well oxygenated water at this time of year is the target. you will find good holes throughout the watershed. the advantage of fishing at higher elevation is 1) cooler nights and 2) a larger abundance of springs pumping in cold water. as the days shorten and cool off, fishing lower elevations will again start to be productive. fish will hold in very small spots where depth, water temp and oxygen are all adequate. the plunge pool i reported above where i got 4x over 10" was no larger than a standard size sedan, but was about 8' deep and very well oxygenated. the water is clear enough that the fish can easily see a dry fly even at that depth and will come up and hammer it.