PDA

View Full Version : Middle Fork American River Aerial View

Jeff Putnam
08-21-2015, 04:26 PM
A video we recently produced for Horseshoe Bar Preserve on the Middle Fork American River. What an incredibly beautiful fishery!
-JP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nejtVGQN53w&feature=youtu.be

Larry S
08-21-2015, 05:28 PM
Jeff,
Beautiful video. Is that normal flow?
Best,
Larry S

Jeff Putnam
08-21-2015, 06:12 PM
The river flows normally about 200-1000 cfs, increase for rafting. During the video they were approximately 450 cfs and slightly off color. -JP

ZWhit
08-21-2015, 11:27 PM
I could watch stuff like that all day. How cool is that!

Mark Kranhold
08-22-2015, 06:10 AM
Could you imagine fishing for salmon and steelhead on that water! Talked to a old timer who has a ranch on the south fork around Coloma area and he remembered catching salmon as a kid before the dam went up. Epic!!

O.mykiss Hunter
08-23-2015, 08:57 PM
I was thinking the same thing Mark, how cool would it be to catch adult steelhead in that kind of scenery! A lot different than the lower A.

John Sv
08-24-2015, 11:56 AM
I thought the same thing!!!
I wonder how many of the posters here did the same. Ohh if we could just get them over just a couple of dams...

Scott V
08-24-2015, 05:58 PM
Nice drone work.

Is that "private" water at the preserve?

Frank Alessio
08-31-2015, 11:55 AM
Nice drone work.

Is that "private" water at the preserve?

It is Scott...But you can join...Call Tom Bartos...He seems like a pretty nice person....May be a waiting list....

hwchubb
10-22-2015, 07:56 PM
Pretty water, but disappointing to see more private water. Not something I can get excited about.

Some beautiful public water upstream of Horseshoe Bar as well, but have never fished it.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-23-2015, 06:41 AM
Could you imagine fishing for salmon and steelhead on that water! Talked to a old timer who has a ranch on the south fork around Coloma area and he remembered catching salmon as a kid before the dam went up. Epic!!

Sadly we dammed up over 90% of the salmon and steelhead streams in California. Years ago I heard stories of salmon being up in many of our larger trout streams spawning.

k9mark
10-25-2015, 07:45 PM
Pretty water, but disappointing to see more private water. Not something I can get excited about.

Some beautiful public water upstream of Horseshoe Bar as well, but have never fished it.

How is it private water if you can float it below the high water mark?

Jeff F
11-05-2015, 09:16 AM
How is it private water if you can float it below the high water mark?

The "privacy" of that stretch of river has been a contentious issue forever. The owners of the land claim that they also own the river bottom in that stretch of the MFA. They claim they have a deed that says so which goes back to the 1800's. They claim that the "high water mark" regulation that we all adhere to, does not apply to that stretch of river. And they have the County Sheriff in their pocket.

The late Bill Carnazzo did lots of research on this and says that it's bogus. I was fishing above the property on the south side of the river one day about 10 years ago. I started at the rafter put-in below Oxbow near the confluence with the NFMF. I fished my way around the bend and was greeted by a shotgun-toting dick-wad who threatened to shoot me if I didn't go back upstream. So I got into with him stating my right to fish below the high water mark, etc, etc. He said that rule didn't apply to that stretch of water and that he owns the actual riverbed. I kept fishing. Next thing I know, Johnny Law is calling me over from across the river. He made me wade across the river so he could give me a ticket.

I showed up to court a few weeks later in Auburn to dispute the ticket. Neither the deputy nor the property owner showed up and it turns out that the case was dismissed due to the fact that charges were not pressed against me. So I never got to state my case and get an actual verdict on the matter from the Court. So I guess it's still open to interpretation. I spoke with Bill C. about this many times and he said that from what he understands, Federal navigable waterway rights trump any deed this guy may have.

Rossflyguy
11-15-2015, 11:29 PM
He's right. It's a federal law. The water goes to the ocean meaning it's public property. The guy might have water rights but that only allows him to use the water as he pleases. He doesn't own navigable water. It's called a Riparian right. It's only as far as the high water mark. Anything below that is owned by the state. This was placed when thee were only 13 states. Well before his "deed". What ticket did the officer give you?

Jeff F
11-16-2015, 08:57 AM
He's right. It's a federal law. The water goes to the ocean meaning it's public property. The guy might have water rights but that only allows him to use the water as he pleases. He doesn't own navigable water. It's called a Riparian right. It's only as far as the high water mark. Anything below that is owned by the state. This was placed when thee were only 13 states. Well before his "deed". What ticket did the officer give you?

The ticket I got was for trespassing on private property. The guy told me his deed says he owns the riverbed. I said BS. The deputy who gave me the ticket backed up the claim of the "property owner". I'm sure he's got a free membership to the fishing club.

I was kinda looking forward to the court date just to see what the judge said. But as noted, they dropped the charges. So, that makes me believe that he knows he didn't have a case.......

Rossflyguy
11-18-2015, 09:02 PM
The ticket I got was for trespassing on private property. The guy told me his deed says he owns the riverbed. I said BS. The deputy who gave me the ticket backed up the claim of the "property owner". I'm sure he's got a free membership to the fishing club.

I was kinda looking forward to the court date just to see what the judge said. But as noted, they dropped the charges. So, that makes me believe that he knows he didn't have a case.......

You should print out the federal law and laminate it. Keep it in your bag and take it out when they come at you.

MickeyFinn
11-24-2015, 10:22 AM
You should print out the federal law and laminate it. Keep it in your bag and take it out when they come at you.

Has anyone seen this video on the MFA? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCHG95Oz5-g

Jeff F
11-24-2015, 01:09 PM
Has anyone seen this video on the MFA? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCHG95Oz5-g

You bet. That made the rounds on this board early this summer I believe. Those flows are pretty gnarly. That's why I don't fish that river until the rafter flows cease in October. The MFA holds some very nice fish.