PDA

View Full Version : To Fish or not... That is the ?- Truckee

cdevine
08-20-2015, 08:14 AM
Question for the board.... I've been off the truckee since end of May. I think 99% of us have which is great. It has helped to preserve this fishery. Fall is fast approaching and flows are up into the lower 100's in the canyon with water temps 57-58 mid morning. Low was 33 today in Truckee. I'm not talking about NV side. That is another story. At what point do you fish it again? I'm probably going to wait until flows are a little more and daytime temps are in the low 70's and nights are in the 30's consistently.

Just curious what others think. I know one thing. The break has opened my eyes up to some awesome high elevation lake fishing.

Be safe and have fun. I'm bummed I will miss the LT Trout Unlimited #103 restoration this weekend. To those helping you guys are awesome.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-20-2015, 08:46 AM
My friend and veteran Nor Cal guide Fred Gordon has lived in Dunsmuir for many decades.

He grew up in south Sacramento right next to my gramma's home.

Well, after the big chemical spill on the Upper Sac in 1991 Fred was really effected.

He guided the Upper Sac and lower McCloud rivers in the summer and the lower Sac in the fall, winter and spring.

So what to do when the river behind your house has been poisoned?

Fred started guiding on the Pit River which was not only good for him, but was really great for his clientele.

Naturally Fred had fished the Pit River but this gave him a real in depth knowledge of this wonderful river.

After the Upper Sac recovered Fred slowed down on his Pit River guiding and now with the high flows on the Pit most guides have given up on it.

Fred does fish the Pit River today for the CA DF&W with a wet suit and fly rod catching around 70 fish a day for a census.

cdevine
08-20-2015, 10:25 AM
My friend and veteran Nor Cal guide Fred Gordon has lived in Dunsmuir for many decades.

He grew up in south Sacramento right next to my gramma's home.

Well, after the big chemical spill on the Upper Sac in 1991 Fred was really effected.

He guided the Upper Sac and lower McCloud rivers in the summer and the lower Sac in the fall, winter and spring.

So what to do when the river behind your house has been poisoned?

Fred started guiding on the Pit River which was not only good for him, but was really great for his clientele.

Naturally Fred had fished the Pit River but this gave him a real in depth knowledge of this wonderful river.

After the Upper Sac recovered Fred slowed down on his Pit River guiding and now with the high flows on the Pit most guides have given up on it.

Fred does fish the Pit River today for the CA DF&W with a wet suit and fly rod catching around 70 fish a day for a census.

The upper sac after that spill was basically cleaned out. The destruction was unbelievable. Entire ecosystem wiped out. This drought isn't even remotely close to that. I've moved on and fished other waters as well. We all have. The time to return to the truckee isn't far away. Its at what point do you make that call?

Morgan
08-20-2015, 01:40 PM
I think the river needs more water to fish it with ethics and care for the fish.
Yes the river is just now coming into shape in some areas. So let the fish get a rest and regain their strength.
Dont jump on em right away. Give em a break.

Alosa
08-20-2015, 02:25 PM
I think the river needs more water to fish it with ethics and care for the fish.
Yes the river is just now coming into shape in some areas. So let the fish get a rest and regain their strength.
Dont jump on em right away. Give em a break.

Gangster is spot on. If you've found success in the high alpine lakes stick with that for now. I'd wait until late September at the absolute earliest, and possibly October just to be on the safe side. What's the harm in just leaving the Truckee alone for a while longer? You risk more by jumping on it too early.

cdevine
08-20-2015, 02:48 PM
Gangster is spot on. If you've found success in the high alpine lakes stick with that for now. I'd wait until late September at the absolute earliest, and possibly October just to be on the safe side. What's the harm in just leaving the Truckee alone for a while longer? You risk more by jumping on it too early.

You both are right. Thank you for that. I'm going to wait until the Fall and hopefully we will see cooler weather, some rain, and maybe releases from Independence or Donner. I know one thing. Fall is a great time to fish the truckee plus some of those 10k + lakes start to see some crazy weather like snow and sleet.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-20-2015, 03:53 PM
October or as soon as the water get down in the 60s?

cdevine
08-29-2015, 08:28 AM
I took water temp readings yesterday on truckee down by Floriston. 7am - 58 degrees. Definetely seems the worse of summer is over but flows are still an anemic 110 CFS. I personally feel the CA section survived most of the drought. I guess time will tell once the fishing starts again assuming we get water. Keep hitting them 10k foot lakes!

bigfly
08-29-2015, 09:16 AM
Although I'm surrounded by water of the famous type....I miss the Truckee......
Had heard that would be the case before I moved....and it's true.....
Glad to hear folks are taking care of her while I'm gone.
Reconnaissance at low water, will help you when the flows do return, and they will return.....
I might be tempted to walk the water with a fly that has the bend broken off.....just to practice my cast and drift of course....
Maybe a hopper?
Thanks for the reports Devine, it gives me a long distance fishing fix..
Most reports are about how many/big fish there are, what fly, and where you stood, I want to know about the river.....
Clarity, Temp, flows and especially.....the bugs.

Jim

Frank Alessio
08-29-2015, 10:44 AM
Little Known fact...The Upper Sac is a strong River...It was actually Fishing One month after the Spill...

cdevine
08-29-2015, 11:03 AM
Little Known fact...The Upper Sac is a strong River...It was actually Fishing One month after the Spill...

Jim- great to hear from you. We all miss your wonderful narratives. The power of social media and a moral compass has helped saved the Truckee. I drove by many times and I don't recall seeing anybody fish the river past June. I'm sure there were some but overall a shout out to all those who stayed away. Brilliant idea about walking the river and getting some practice in. Gill put up some nice pics of the river recently on his page and I hope these "smart" fish found that water because its flowing, cold , and survivable.

Good point about upper sac. Nature is amazing.

Jim, hope you've had a nice summer. Did some some small baetis out.. Maybe 18-20 along with typical molting craws.

NVTrout
08-29-2015, 11:11 PM
I've been going crazy. I can be on the river in Reno fishing, in 30 minutes from my front door. I usually keep my Truckee setup loaded and ready to go. Busy life, small kids, wife gives me the green, Im out the door!

Like most, I haven't been on the river since May. I've been going up high some. I've been carpin some. But it aint the same. The Truckee is one of a kind. I've been jonesin for those slab bows......the ones that hang in the jungle water, and once hooked, take you down stream stumbling over boulders, heart racing the whole time. When its over, fish landed or not, you just stand there with a big dumb grin on your face. I miss slappin streamers around just knowing that every cast could produce a heart stopping moment courtesy of a nasty brown.

Like everyone, I've been praying for a big winter since the last one we had. And praying a littler harder each year. Its reached the point of desperation. I know she'll come back, but it sure sucks hard right now.

I went down to the East Walker a couple weekends ago just to look around. This is another place that is near and dear to me. I think its the only time I've ever been there on a Saturday (not including winter) that I didn't see a soul fishing. It was depressing. It felt lonely. I was daydreaming about a full Bridgeport Reservoir, cranked up flows, and people at every turnout on the miracle mile.......Ha, that used to irritate me......now I'd welcome it. The river is flowing. But its choked up with weeds......looks, and smells more like a warm water fishery. The EW too will recover, but for us guys who like to prowl around flowing water, its just hard to stomach right now.

cdevine
08-30-2015, 07:43 AM
I've been going crazy. I can be on the river in Reno fishing, in 30 minutes from my front door. I usually keep my Truckee setup loaded and ready to go. Busy life, small kids, wife gives me the green, Im out the door!

Like most, I haven't been on the river since May. I've been going up high some. I've been carpin some. But it aint the same. The Truckee is one of a kind. I've been jonesin for those slab bows......the ones that hang in the jungle water, and once hooked, take you down stream stumbling over boulders, heart racing the whole time. When its over, fish landed or not, you just stand there with a big dumb grin on your face. I miss slappin streamers around just knowing that every cast could produce a heart stopping moment courtesy of a nasty brown.

Like everyone, I've been praying for a big winter since the last one we had. And praying a littler harder each year. Its reached the point of desperation. I know she'll come back, but it sure sucks hard right now.

I went down to the East Walker a couple weekends ago just to look around. This is another place that is near and dear to me. I think its the only time I've ever been there on a Saturday (not including winter) that I didn't see a soul fishing. It was depressing. It felt lonely. I was daydreaming about a full Bridgeport Reservoir, cranked up flows, and people at every turnout on the miracle mile.......Ha, that used to irritate me......now I'd welcome it. The river is flowing. But its choked up with weeds......looks, and smells more like a warm water fishery. The EW too will recover, but for us guys who like to prowl around flowing water, its just hard to stomach right now.

NV Trout- Dude well said. I think that sums up this entire thing. I feel bad for all those people who make a living on the river. Whether its in the shop or guiding. I love supporting the local communities and all the great people who make this industry what it is. It will be back. Just a cycle.

NVTrout
08-30-2015, 10:01 AM
Lets keep praying! Heres to an epic winter!!!!

kylgrn
08-30-2015, 02:10 PM
I too haven't touched the river since April/May, its been tough. At this point I'm anxious to visit my other favorite river in the Trinity, that place is magical in October/November.

Morgan
08-30-2015, 04:28 PM

Well put.
I too have been high, up in the areas not so seen or fished.
But its just not the same. I miss the Truckee. The days getting your ass handed to you are welcomed. As are the ones that put the grin on our faces. Im sure she will bless all of us that have been giving her a rest soon enough. But how soon? Here's to mother nature and a banger winter.

And cheers to all who have given her a break! And continue to do so until she fills up a bit more.

John Sv
08-31-2015, 12:28 PM
Sorry for the thread hijack, but I'm daydreaming about another year...
I've fished as far east as McCarran Ranch, but am wondering about east of there. Does anyone/has anyone fished between Wadsworth and Pyramid. Is it trouty or a warm water fishery? Looks like a nice float in a canoe, from what I've seen driving back from Pyramid that way. Whatcha know?

NVTrout
09-05-2015, 12:02 AM
Dudes, fyi, I fished in the canyon the other morning, just to "sample".....The water was nice and cool....got into some lil, to decent sized bows that were HEALTHY. All fish were either LDRed or kept in water while netted, full of piss and vinegar. Crimped barbs of course.....the fish that live in the canyon have made it through the summer.

cdevine
09-05-2015, 05:57 AM
Dudes, fyi, I fished in the canyon the other morning, just to "sample".....The water was nice and cool....got into some lil, to decent sized bows that were HEALTHY. All fish were either LDRed or kept in water while netted, full of piss and vinegar. Crimped barbs of course.....the fish that live in the canyon have made it through the summer.

NVTROUT-Exactly. Did you take any temp readings? I wouldn't be surprised if they are mid 50's early in day now. 24 in Truckee last night. Glad to hear that news. I think we have one more heat wave coming next week though so I would look elsewhere next week until we get a consistent fall pattern and a little more water.

NVTrout
09-05-2015, 08:45 AM
didn't take a temp, but the water nice and chilly. I just wanted to see some Truckee fish. I'll prolly leave it alone until theres more water in the system.....it was just cool to see healthy fish in there.