PDA

View Full Version : We're sinking- too much groundwater pumping.

SeanO
08-19-2015, 06:21 PM
Sounds really bad, 2 inches per month!

NASA: California Drought Causing Valley Land to Sink

As Californians continue pumping groundwater in response to the historic drought, the California Department of Water Resources today released a new NASA report showing land in the San Joaquin Valley is sinking faster than ever before, nearly 2 inches (5 centimeters) per month in some locations.

The report, Progress Report: Subsidence in the Central Valley, California, prepared for DWR by researchers at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, California, is available at:

http://water.ca.gov/groundwater/docs/NASA_REPORT.pdf (14 MB)

"Because of increased pumping, groundwater levels are reaching record lows -- up to 100 feet (30 meters) lower than previous records," said Department of Water Resources Director Mark Cowin. "As extensive groundwater pumping continues, the land is sinking more rapidly and this puts nearby infrastructure at greater risk of costly damage."

Sinking land, known as subsidence, has occurred for decades in California because of excessive groundwater pumping during drought conditions, but the new NASA data show the sinking is happening faster, putting infrastructure on the surface at growing risk of damage.

NASA/JPL report is here: http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2015-273&rn=news.xml&rst=4693

Darian
08-19-2015, 09:25 PM
The report/story made the KCRA channel 3 news at noon, today. Considering that land in the San Joaquin Valley has already subsided 115', maybe it's time to set limits on AG pumping of groundwater. Of course, AG is not the only user of groundwater down there. Municipal water suppliers usually depend on a combo of ground and surface water for residential/industrial users. I guess if this keeps up, Tulare Lake will refill....

SeanO
08-19-2015, 10:36 PM
I like your outlook! If only it were connected to the bay again that would be awesome!

My town and county is also using groundwater for muni uses but it is getting tapped out so we are putting in a large pipe to suck Sac river water. Not sure how subsidence has affected us, but interested to see more maps in the Sac river valley.

I guess if this keeps up, Tulare Lake will refill....

Darian
09-04-2015, 10:54 PM
San Joaquin Valley growers, FOX news readers and valley legislators were beating the drums about the lack of water causing loss of revenues and jobs, plus needing to fallow much of their land za few years back??? An article in today's SacBee indicates that Big Ag is doing just fine due to a combination of pumping groundwater and planting high value crops. Smart but not sustainable in the long run. Check out the link:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/water-and-drought/article33812181.html

Growers in the southern San Joaquin have relied on groundwater to the disadvantage of everyone. If you were watching KCRA (Channel 3) News tonight, there was a bit on the plight of the town of East Porterville; essentially populated by farm workers. The residents of that town have had no water running in their houses for months due to their wells running dry. I find this amazing as they're not located too far from the Kern County Water Bank which has enough water in storage to sell to EBMUD and others at market prices while buying it for subsidized rates but providing none to East Portervile. The article, above, mentions the damaged canals/roads from subsidence but nothing about human needs.... Just more casualties in the water wars of this idiotic state.