PDA

View Full Version : Some new streamers

Bob Scheidt
08-18-2015, 07:31 PM

First time trying to post a picture. Anyway I have been putting on the think cap and tying some streamers. 3 of them are punk perch flies popular at Crowley. If the pics come thru, what do you guys think?

Darian
08-18-2015, 11:00 PM
I can't say I ever fished at Crowley but have heard about perch patterns being used there. I like the 3 dark flies (Punk Perch patterns???). Might try one at Caples or Red Lake. Rabbit always provides action/movement. The top fly looks to be one that'll be tough to pick up for casting out of a tube. Are you trolling it?? :cool:

ps. the lighter colored flies look like they might do well where Threadfin Shad are available....

Bob Scheidt
08-19-2015, 07:37 AM
The top fly has a lot of rabbit and marabou. I was going to use it for lakes and bigger fish. I fish out of a water master raft, sits a little higher than a tube. The punk perch is tied with UV ice dubbing in a loop and then rugged out and swept back. You are right, patterns with rabbit get heavy to cast when they get soppy wet.

gene goss
08-19-2015, 07:42 AM
Nice looking streamers Bob.....give them a try.....i been fishing Crowley every year ripping streamers, and what i found out is a 3-4 inch 5 color marabou streamer with very little flash or UV got me more of those big toads....dull flies=big fish. I tie my own flies and i use to think that more flash and UV was better, but now i think that a little flash and UV goes a long ways.

JD
08-19-2015, 11:00 AM
Good looking ties. I have found that those dubbing loop bodied flies work better when sparsely tied, which for me is always tough because I always pile on the materials. It does not take much material to build the profile. Take a look at Arizona Semi-seal dubbing as an alternative to Ice Dub. Comes in a ton of colors, including a couple of shades of "Crowley Perch", and is made for this style of bug. Gene raises a good point, and it would not hurt to have a few more sedate colors, perhaps tied with Angora, just in case they want something less flashy.

Scott V
08-19-2015, 11:01 AM
Nice looking flies Bob. I love green!!

Darian
08-21-2015, 10:57 AM
weighted?? For perspective, what is the overall length of the dark patterns???

Bob Scheidt
08-21-2015, 09:41 PM
Hey Darian,
They are weighted very little. I will use them mainly in lakes and ponds. 8 turns or so of .015 lead. The big streamer is on a #4 3xl and the 2 other rabbit type matukas are on #8 3xl's. So the #4 is about 3" long and the #8's are about 1 3/4 inches long. The 2 white punk perch's are on #12's 3xl so they are little.
Thanks for looking.
Bob