PDA

View Full Version : First Steelhead Trip Recommendations

Troutsource
08-14-2015, 11:05 PM
My brother and I would like to take our first north coast steelhead trip this fall or winter (2-3 day trip) and are looking for some recommendations. It could either be for big winter run fish or fall half-pounders. We've been fly-fishing for 30+ years but are still new to steelies (mostly limited to the American). Rivers like the Trinity, Klamath, Smith and Chetco come to mind (maybe even the Rogue in OR). We have 6-wt switch rods and 10' 7wt normal fast action rods.

Should I assume most of the guided trips are already booked? If so, is wade fishing a good option anywhere? If we do book a guide, what is the typical policy in case of blown out rivers? In the interests of saving money, are there some decent riverside campgrounds (I have a good waterproof tent)?

We also have two one-man pontoon boats but I assume this would be a dangerous choice especially on a new river.

Thanks in advance for any insights. This is a long fantasized adventure I don't want to keep putting off.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-14-2015, 11:35 PM
I would go in October and fish the middle section of the Klamath River.

Get a StreamTime map of the Klamath River.

We usually swing flies in the tail outs and runs real early till maybe 10:00 am.

Take a break and go out at 3:00 pm till dark.

If it is overcast you can fish all day.

Two handed rods work well when you have no back cast room.

We like a floating line, leader the length of your rod and 1x tippet.

Most any barbless #8-10 wet fly will work......some use nymphs.

Silver Hilton, Mossback, Assassin, Herniator, Brindle Bug, Burlap.......

A day with top guide Jason Hartwick will get you pointed in the right direction.

https://steelheadonthespey.wordpress.com/

__________________________________________________ ______________________

The Winter Run Steelhead are in short and long rivers.

Winter Steelhead Commando Mike McCune says the rewards are big if you can put in the effort. He says it is the best time for big wild Steelhead in the US.................. Nor CaL, OR and WA.

The traditional timing is Dec/Jan/Feb but it is all dependant on the rain which makes it more difficult.

In the lakey tide water they still use single handed fly rods ( 9- 9.5" #7/8/9 line) with a large selection of different sink rate lines.

Up river in the riffles and runs the two handed rods have taken over for swinging flies.

For indo nymphing fishing most use single handed rod ( 9'-10' #6/7/8 line) with a special floating line.

Getting a top guide will really help here too so you have a better change to be in the right place at the right time and you will learn how to read the water and how to fish the latest techniques.

TaylerW
08-15-2015, 11:34 PM
Gimme a ring some time, just had a few prime days open up.

JasonB
08-16-2015, 07:16 AM
My brother and I would like to take our first north coast steelhead trip this fall or winter (2-3 day trip) and are looking for some recommendations. It could either be for big winter run fish or fall half-pounders. We've been fly-fishing for 30+ years but are still new to steelies (mostly limited to the American). Rivers like the Trinity, Klamath, Smith and Chetco come to mind (maybe even the Rogue in OR). We have 6-wt switch rods and 10' 7wt normal fast action rods.

Should I assume most of the guided trips are already booked? If so, is wade fishing a good option anywhere? If we do book a guide, what is the typical policy in case of blown out rivers? In the interests of saving money, are there some decent riverside campgrounds (I have a good waterproof tent)?

We also have two one-man pontoon boats but I assume this would be a dangerous choice especially on a new river.

Thanks in advance for any insights. This is a long fantasized adventure I don't want to keep putting off.

Some wide open questions there, but I'll give a stab at helping you a bit:
-All the streams you mention are worth a trip for sure, just narrow it down to "when" and that helps a lot with the "where" The Klamath, Trinity and Rogue are long rivers with lots and lots of options about where to fish them depending on the timing. Be warned that the Smith is not an easy river to fish, particularly from shore. There's lots of access points but it is a very challenging stream to hook up on, and the few fish I have hooked there have all managed to easily regain their freedom. A lot of strong current, some deeper runs, lots and lots of willows along the edges to give you grief, etc. A boat would be very helpful there. You might also consider fishing on the Eel and the SF Eel river...

-Both rods should be good for fall steelies, moving into winter conditions a more stout rod is nice for tossing heavier sink tips and bigger/heavier flies. Not absolutely needed, but handy for sure.

-There are lots of areas where you can camp, but again you need to narrow things down a bit

-There is good wading on all the rivers you've mentioned, you may need to do some homework to find the better accesses in some areas but for the most part there is quite a bit on all those streams.

-One man pontoon boats are kinda sketchy for any real whitewater, so unless you know the section of river reasonably well (and have some stream navigation skills) I wouldn't personally recommend them. There are some rapids on all the streams you mention that would be a bit much for small pontoons, depending on what section you were on (and what the flows are). There are some calmer floats on some of those streams, but a bigger boat would probably be a safer bet overall (especially moving into winter, where a spill could easily give you hypothermia).

-October-November is pretty ideal timing for the fall fish, there is usually a bit of a lull before the winter run really gets going after that.

Troutsource
08-30-2015, 10:23 PM
Thanks everyone for the great information. I've had to mull this over and I think we are going to wait and see how the weather plays out, and given the flexibility of our schedules we may go mid-week -- probably the Trinity or Klamath. Not sure yet whether we'll go with a guide or just fish from the shore, or maybe guide one day (with a boat) then self-guide the next (without a boat). Can't wait to finally do this.

avidangler
08-30-2015, 11:15 PM
For bank access and good fly fishing water the Trinity in October from Del Loma to Junction city would be your best bet. See a spot you like,pull off at a turnout and fish away. You can't go wrong with a glo bug with a hares ear or prince nymph dropper fly in the riffles . Just move until you find fish and hit that area . Good luck!

Troutsource
08-31-2015, 10:33 PM
Avidangler, thanks for the great info. Sounds like a perfect set up. I'll be pulling this post back up once we decide to pull the trigger, then I'll post a report.

DAVID95670
09-08-2015, 07:48 PM
Oregon Or washington

Troutsource
09-09-2015, 09:15 PM
Oregon Or washington

Not a bad idea. I have been inspired many an evening by the conquests of one Mr. Langenbeck. In fact, I believe it's nearing that time of year.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-09-2015, 09:35 PM
After lots of years of being around the Steelhead scene and talking with many Steelhead fly fishing guides and many avid Steelhead fly fishers I believe the average time window for good results swinging flies on a floating line in nor Cal and Oegon is September 15 through November 15, most years.

Some would say the 4th of July through November but early on in July and August the days are warm and fishing can be good early and late, especially if you live on one of these rivers. Lots of down time md-day on these hot days.

Many of these summer/fall Steelhead rivers are very long so in September you would be in the lower reaches.

In November you might be in the upper reaches.

Some people can go on lots of fall trips and some might be lucky to go once....for going once a year I would target October.

Troutsource
09-10-2015, 08:59 AM
Some people can go on lots of fall trips and some might be lucky to go once....for going once a year I would target October.

Bill, thanks for the advice. We're targeting October, and I'll practice on the American before then.

Troutsource
11-18-2015, 11:14 PM
We finally went this last Sunday evening for a planned 3-day trip to the Trinity and Klamath. The vehicle was fully loaded with camping gear, beer, raincoats, etc., and our minds were full of Sasquatch, Steelhead and Merle Haggard -- all covered in mist.

After coasting into Weaverville by the skin of our teeth after midnight (no gas left), we got to bed at 1:30 after gearing up and polishing off another beer. Somehow we forced ourselves out of bed at 6:00 (and I set off my car alarm for nearly a full minute, pissing off everyone in Motel Trinity), almost left our fishing rods in the parking lot and ran over them, located the Starbucks (where the guy behind us was open carrying and giving us the death stare), gazed at the snowcaps and frozen puddles as we drove over the hill towards Junction City, and were on the river probably by 7:00 (sunrise).

Just as we were about to get on the river my brother checks his phone. Somehow there was still reception. Text message from wife regarding an urgent personal matter. Urgent personal matter, per previous agreement, requiring him to go home that day. We were both in a state of denial for at least an hour -- maybe even the whole day. After sulking for a few minutes, we fished somewhere near Junction City. Then we drove back upstream and stopped at a convenience store where the cashier claimed "they're biting in Bagdad." So we drive back down and fished nearly two hours in the Bagdad area. Beautiful water but not a hit. Mind you, one large fly shop claimed fishing was "great" on the Trinity. I should have listed to the Trinity Fly Shop which said it was slow (not that we're steelhead gurus anyway). Everyone else said it was slow, too, so I don't feel so bad.

Decided at that point to hit the Posse Grounds on the Lower Sac. Same fly shop said Lower Sac was "on fire," especially high up. Arrived there around 3:00(?). Somehow I was surviving on only a half cup of coffee, leftover Halloween candy and three pinches of snuff (hopefully my mom isn't reading this). Water looked extremely fishy. Saw a few small risers. After 1.5 hours of nada, switched to dries to catch salmon smolt (which were the small risers). Slayed 'em, boy -- probably 20. Better than nothing. Other than these little guys, we got nothing, though we saw someone else catch two at the head of Posse Grounds. We tried everything. Only thing I can think of is that he had the right color egg pattern. The fish and game guys stopped by on their power boat to ask what we had caught, and I made them cough up some intel -- other guys were doing well on eggs. But not us. Regardless, it was certainly not "on fire" as advertised.

Left the water probably 1.5 hrs after sunset (probably illegal), ate at the Black Bear in Willows, and made it back to the Sac area by 10:30, at which point I virtually collapsed.

My brother is hoping to get a "refund" on this trip from his wife so we can strike again in January -- hopefully with more success. If this happens I'll post a follow-up.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-19-2015, 06:03 AM
The Winter Run Steelhead are in short and long rivers.

Winter Steelhead Commando Mike McCune says the rewards are big if you can put in the effort. He says it is the best time for big wild Steelhead in the US.................. Nor CaL, OR and WA.

The traditional timing is Dec/Jan/Feb but it is all dependent on the rain which makes it more difficult.

In the lakey tide water near the Pacific ocean they still use single handed fly rods ( 9- 9.5" #7/8/9 line) with a large selection of different sink rate lines.

This can be wading and in anchored small boats.

Up river in the riffles and runs the two handed rods have taken over for swinging flies.

Most are using a running line, shorter floating head and a selection of short sink tips.

For indo nymphing fishing most use single handed rod ( 9'-10' #6/7/8 line) with a special floating line.

Getting a top guide will really help here too so you have a better change to be in the right place at the right time and you will learn how to read the water and how to fish the latest techniques.

DAVID95670
11-19-2015, 08:55 PM
We finally went this last Sunday evening for a planned 3-day trip to the Trinity and Klamath. The vehicle was fully loaded with camping gear, beer, raincoats, etc., and our minds were full of Sasquatch, Steelhead and Merle Haggard -- all covered in mist.

After coasting into Weaverville by the skin of our teeth after midnight (no gas left), we got to bed at 1:30 after gearing up and polishing off another beer. Somehow we forced ourselves out of bed at 6:00 (and I set off my car alarm for nearly a full minute, pissing off everyone in Motel Trinity), almost left our fishing rods in the parking lot and ran over them, located the Starbucks (where the guy behind us was open carrying and giving us the death stare), gazed at the snowcaps and frozen puddles as we drove over the hill towards Junction City, and were on the river probably by 7:00 (sunrise).

Just as we were about to get on the river my brother checks his phone. Somehow there was still reception. Text message from wife regarding an urgent personal matter. Urgent personal matter, per previous agreement, requiring him to go home that day. We were both in a state of denial for at least an hour -- maybe even the whole day. After sulking for a few minutes, we fished somewhere near Junction City. Then we drove back upstream and stopped at a convenience store where the cashier claimed "they're biting in Bagdad." So we drive back down and fished nearly two hours in the Bagdad area. Beautiful water but not a hit. Mind you, one large fly shop claimed fishing was "great" on the Trinity. I should have listed to the Trinity Fly Shop which said it was slow (not that we're steelhead gurus anyway). Everyone else said it was slow, too, so I don't feel so bad.

Decided at that point to hit the Posse Grounds on the Lower Sac. Same fly shop said Lower Sac was "on fire," especially high up. Arrived there around 3:00(?). Somehow I was surviving on only a half cup of coffee, leftover Halloween candy and three pinches of snuff (hopefully my mom isn't reading this). Water looked extremely fishy. Saw a few small risers. After 1.5 hours of nada, switched to dries to catch salmon smolt (which were the small risers). Slayed 'em, boy -- probably 20. Better than nothing. Other than these little guys, we got nothing, though we saw someone else catch two at the head of Posse Grounds. We tried everything. Only thing I can think of is that he had the right color egg pattern. The fish and game guys stopped by on their power boat to ask what we had caught, and I made them cough up some intel -- other guys were doing well on eggs. But not us. Regardless, it was certainly not "on fire" as advertised.

Left the water probably 1.5 hrs after sunset (probably illegal), ate at the Black Bear in Willows, and made it back to the Sac area by 10:30, at which point I virtually collapsed.

My brother is hoping to get a "refund" on this trip from his wife so we can strike again in January -- hopefully with more success. If this happens I'll post a follow-up.

Should have gone way north of Roque. Think north of Columbia

Where there are fish and weed and open carry I guess

Troutsource
11-20-2015, 11:56 PM
Should have gone way north of Roque. Think north of Columbia

I wish we had the flexibility to go that far north, but unfortunately marriage and kids are good at throwing monkey wrenches. Maybe in January we'll have more flexibility.

pvsprme
11-21-2015, 10:00 AM
I wish we had the flexibility to go that far north, but unfortunately marriage and kids are good at throwing monkey wrenches. Maybe in January we'll have more flexibility.

Don't need to go that far, the Rogue fishes well for bigger fish (8-15 lbs.) beginning mid-January. Catching steel isn't a numbers game and some spend years to get the 1st one. I'm with Bill on getting a guide, reduces the learning curve exponentially. Jason Hartwick on the T and Klamath and Rich Zellman on the Rogue and NU are excellent teachers and guides and good guys to boot.