PDA

View Full Version : Bow River, Southern Alberta Canada??

RenoLipRipper
08-14-2015, 02:24 PM
Going early September to fly fish the Bow and float tube lakes in area, all the way to Vernon B.C.. Any body ever been there? From what I can gather per other websites, typical Browns, Rainbows and Bull trout. Seems like for the Bow most fish a floating line with a nymph from either a floating fly (hopper etc.) or use a bobber like a "thing a ma bobber". From what info I can get, seems like the flows are low and was entertaining the idea of using float tube for the more calmer portions of river, mainly for access to areas that are more difficult on foot, any ideas about that? Wife and brother in law are Canadian, and he did a lot of fishing in the B.C. areas so hopefully some of the knowledge will seep over to other areas. I am sure my knowledge of fishing mainly the East Carson below and above Hangman's as well as other fisheries should come in handy. Bringing bear spray, bells etc. as will be hiking some and fishing some. Grizzly and black bear territories. Any first hand information would be appreciated. Thanks

Fly Guy Dave
08-15-2015, 06:36 AM
I've fished the Crows Nest River in Alberta and the Elk, the Wigwam and the NF of the Flathead in B.C. I did OK, but I think I was there a bit too early and the fishing (and catching) could've been a bit better. You'll need a special permit to fish the Elk and the Wigwam, in addition to your B.C. license and from what I recall, that permit wasn't exactly cheap. Alberta also makes you buy a WIN card along with your license, but those were only $5 when I was there. Stunningly beautiful country in that area! The Canadian Rockies are absolutely amazing to see. I was able to spend Canada Day in Fernie when I was up there and that was a lot of fun hanging out with the super friendly locals. I think your timing this time of year is a lot better than mine. Please post a report when you get back, eh? ;)