PDA

View Full Version : Can't Decide - Compact Rage or Switch Chucker???

itsbenlong
08-10-2015, 09:25 AM
I have a Sage TCX 6119-4 and am looking for a great line to swing with it.

I was going to get the Rage Compact line for it but really like the idea of less loop to loop connections w/ the Switch Chucker lines.

I am hoping I can get some insight from others about this so I can make my decision.

Thanks All!

Jeff C.
08-10-2015, 09:37 AM
I personally like being able to switch out heads. The TCX 6119 is my go to rod for 90% of my fishing on the American and most of the time I use a 425 Skagit Max and 20 lb Ridge running line.

itsbenlong
08-10-2015, 09:45 AM
Good point on switching out heads. I am guessing if I use that Chucker line I won't have the running line needed to switch out.

Thanks Jeff!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-10-2015, 01:27 PM
Call the shop, Kiene's American Fly Company, and ask Doug Duncan about Spey/Switch/Two handed fly lines.

Open 7 days a week

Doug works this Thursday

itsbenlong
08-10-2015, 03:14 PM
Thanks Bill!

I heard Doug wasn't going to be in until Thursday.....gearing up on Wednesday so that is what I posted this. However, I heard Terry has some info about the Switch Chucker so I will talk to him tomorrow.

JasonB
08-11-2015, 03:40 PM
I haven't used the Chucker yet personally, but I have used the Rage line for a whole lot of different stuff (from trout to salmon). Very nice, and very capable lines. The more lines I try, the more I find myself liking the Rage. The loop to loop thing isn't much of an issue to me usually though, so ymmv. I just find that I usually have the whole head out of the guides when swinging. If you were talking about nymphing, or stripping, then the loop connections start being more of a hassle. My impression of the Chucker was that it was designed to also be a good line for being able to use as a nymphing line or for stripping streamers, for swinging I don't think the integrated line is quite so important (personal taste).
JB

TaylerW
08-11-2015, 03:55 PM
Compact rage is a staple among many guides for client rods. Very easy to cast

Jeff Putnam
08-21-2015, 10:52 AM
Both will throw light to med tips very well. I prefer the RIO Chucker for trout/stripers because of its integrated head it allows you to strip line without the loop to loop connection interfering in the guides. A stripping retrieve can be useful in getting fish to grab. Loop to loop heads are versatile as you can change with conditions. If you are nymphing with a switch rod the Chucker is a must... simply add a 10 floating MOW tip and mending is easy! Check my site out for RIO Switch Chucker Video. If you'd like to try out the line you can meet me on the American River if you are local.
http://jpflyfishing.tv/index.html

Good Luck-JP

itsbenlong
08-21-2015, 11:43 AM
Thanks Jeff! I ended up going with the Chucker line. It took a couple hours to get used to casting it but paired with my new Sage TCX 6wt Switch it came together quite well and I love the line and really love the rod. (thanks Jason H. for the rod)

I will check out your video too......

One of these days I may even have you take me out again for some fine tuning on my casting. I have probably gotten sloppy since the last time we were out. lol

Jeff Putnam
08-21-2015, 04:28 PM
Great call! Its really versatile. I look forward to working with you again. -JP