PDA

View Full Version : Poison Oak vs. Steelhead

Idadon
08-06-2015, 08:03 PM
This may seem like a really stupid question but here goes. I am virtually out the door headed towards the Klamath and then on up to the Rogue in Oct. I recently read something concerning hiking trails around Grants Pass that stated "Beware of the Poison Oak". Is there a lot of the stuff along the Rogue? I remember from my days at UC Humboldt that there was patches behind the school. Should I worry about Poison Oak if I get up in the vegetation? I hate the stuff!

Charlie S
08-06-2015, 08:17 PM
If you get up into the brush, then it's probably a yes.

Bwag
08-06-2015, 11:01 PM
I"ll agree with Charlie S, stay on the trail and you'll be fine, I never seem to learn my lesson and have gotten it plenty of times including on the Rogue and the Klamath. I'm terrible at spotting it in the winter much better in the spring/summer but still manage to get it. Can't stand it so much that I bring some prednisone to kill it and fluocinonide to stop the itch, both prescribed by my Doctor enough that I've saved plenty for future trips!

Idadon
08-07-2015, 04:36 PM
Bummer! I guess I'll just have to watch myself. No brush busting for me. Haven't been around any in many years but I used to get it just by being in the same county as the stuff. Miserable plant! Rates right up there with swarms of Mosquitos.

mikel
08-07-2015, 05:31 PM
Do not go berry picking on the Klamath

johnsquires
08-07-2015, 05:52 PM
Bummer! I guess I'll just have to watch myself. No brush busting for me. Haven't been around any in many years but I used to get it just by being in the same county as the stuff. Miserable plant! Rates right up there with swarms of Mosquitos.

Mosquitos are cool - they're like us, just trying to survive. And if they disappeared, trout and grayling would not be happy. You just have to "zen" them out, pretend they're not there.

Idadon
08-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Not so sure about Mosquitos being cool. I will say that between a mosquito bite and poison oak I'll take the mosquito. I just have to ask why Poison Oak? Is there anything out there that eats it?

SebastianV
08-07-2015, 09:12 PM
Not so sure about Mosquitos being cool. I will say that between a mosquito bite and poison oak I'll take the mosquito. I just have to ask why Poison Oak? Is there anything out there that eats it?

I've heard banana slugs eat poison oak. Also, remember to dunk your rod in the river if you walk through the stuff. Every time I forget to give the rod and line a dunk I get poison oak between my fingers.

Ed Wahl
08-07-2015, 10:23 PM
Building on Sebastian's comment, as a quail hunter I run through this stuff constantly. So every time I come across water, either to water the dogs or just to cross the creek I rinse off all exposed skin. Doing this every time has greatly reduced the rashes that I used to get. I mean to down to almost zero. Despite what many folks say, just rinsing off in stream water will without a doubt cut your poison oak rashes down to almost nothing. Just remember that everything that comes into contact with poison oak will need rinsing. That could be waders, pants, vests, or dogs. Especially dogs.

SeanO
08-07-2015, 11:25 PM
I HATE poison oak! I get pretty swollen up by it even if it's in the area.

Seems to be attracted to me. The other option to getting out in the field is not fishing in some really great locations!

I say suck it up and get out there.

From a trip a couple months ago on a pristine river...

http://www.kiene.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11051&d=1439014650

http://www.kiene.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11050&d=1439014649

Place was infested with Poison Oak but we used a product called Tecnu when back at base camp to wash off the oil. Worked really well for us. I only had a minor outbreak later on and got to check out a treasure in our state!

Take care,

Idadon
08-08-2015, 05:05 AM
Thanks for all the comments and advise! I'll look for those products mentioned and get some alcohol wipes to carry as well. The advise about washing off in cold water seems really sound as an immediate preventative. Just have to watch where I walk, and my dog. A close friend told me that a dog can bring it to you on their hair. I'M STILL GOING FISHING! Will be somewhere in Northern California or Sourthern Oregon so if you see a black SUV with Idaho plates say HI.

By the way, nice fish!! Oh, and my hat is off to all Banana Slugs everywhere. I used to think they were gross. Eat-on little buddies!!

Larry S
08-09-2015, 11:25 AM
Ida,
Just my 2 cents. PO foliage should be turning bright red by October. You can still get the rash after the leaves have dropped.
Pretty sure that most of my (and buddies) exposures came from the dogs. Be forewarned and prepared.
BTW, the mascot for UC Santa Cruz is the banana slug.
Let's hope the El Nino delivers.
Best,
Larry S

Charlie S
08-09-2015, 03:24 PM

Deer eat a lot of poison oak.

cdccopp
08-09-2015, 05:23 PM
Having worked around PO during Wild land fires. My preventive was to use sunscreen on any exposed skin. This will create a oily barrier to keep to Oak oils from contacting the skin. Be sure to rinse off with cool water so that your pores don't open up to the Oak oil. This is good advise to rinse with what ever method you use to bath with after being in the field. Also if you do get it we used Tec Nu product to bath with to keep the oils from further infecting the areas surrounding the initial patch. What is really bad is to help transport it to other body parts ( below the belt especially) by itching then not wash your hands prior to using the toilet. :(

Idadon
08-10-2015, 04:14 AM
I kind of wondered about the firefighters breathing PO smoke. Seems like that could be a real problem in addition to the heat and long hours. I looked for some of that Tec-nu stuff at Walmart yesterday but was in a hurry so didn't ask anyone. Is it in the pharmacy dept? Thanks for the advise!

TaylerW
08-10-2015, 05:17 AM
I battle the p oak all year, and have built up an immunity of sorts. Here's my process.

1. Rinse with River water immediately after contact
2. Apply technu and then rinse at end of day
3. COOL shower when you get home. Hot shower opens your pores.
4. If rash occurs, get a bar of fels-naphtha soap, rub moistened bar on rash and let dry. Cuts recovery by 2/3

cdccopp
08-10-2015, 08:54 PM
Usually when firefighters are in smoke they are wearing shrouds, (cloth barriers that protects back of your neck, a bandanna is used to cover mouth and nose). A little hint when near fire, don't wet down the bandanna because if the heat is intense it causes steam which will boil in your lungs. Not good

hwchubb
08-10-2015, 09:13 PM
Just returned from a 60 mile hike with the Scouts on the Lost Coast, and the poison oak is having a great year - as it is in the Parkway, and seemingly everywhere else in NorCal and the Pacific Northwest. TechNu was a lifesaver, essentially deactivates and removes the oils from the poison oak. You should be able to find it in the pharmacy section at Wal-Mart, believe I picked it up at CVS. Walgreens carries it as well, typically around the calamine lotion, athletes foot stuff, etc.

Idadon
08-11-2015, 09:07 PM
Will be in the PO danger zone by this weekend. Have to make a stop in Redding first. Will hit the Walmart there. Thanks everybody for all the great advise. Special thanks to you Fire Fighters. My youngest was a heavy engine boss in Idaho on his summers off from school. He loved it but decided to teach instead. Tough work!!!!!

pvsprme
08-12-2015, 01:03 PM
You might consider dropping in on the upper Trinity; Flywater is open; always a chance at a big Brown in there and an errant B run steelhead. Easy bank access.