PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Creek

John Sv
08-06-2015, 09:50 AM
I haven't been there in years and am bored.
Is Yellow Creek too low and warm, or does that big spring at the upper end of the valley keep things cool and maintain flows.
Also I've read some other threads that say the fishery is in decline. Worth going?
Thanks

MickeyFinn
08-06-2015, 10:57 AM
Go there to Fish Butt Valley Reservoir and Butt Creek, take a few hour trip to Yellow Creek and check it out. I wouldn't plan a trip around it. Fish it early AM or late evening. However, you can legally fish Butt at night so you may want to plan for that. Call the fly shop in Chester to get the scoop or visit it while you're there. To answer your question. It's in decline. I've caught a few small fish in there early spring. The two other times mid summer I did spot a few but they where few and far between and skiddish.

John Sv
08-06-2015, 11:16 AM
cool-thanks!

EricO
08-06-2015, 04:15 PM
I wish they would just plant browns in there. Because it's honestly one of the
prettiest places I have ever camped and fished. The gorgeous meadow and
valley views, right by the creek. And never real crowded because I think there
is less than a dozen sites.

DFG....PLANT IT! :)

EO

Alosa
08-06-2015, 09:31 PM
I wish they would just plant browns in there. Because it's honestly one of the
prettiest places I have ever camped and fished. The gorgeous meadow and
valley views, right by the creek. And never real crowded because I think there
is less than a dozen sites.

DFG....PLANT IT! :)

EO

Wouldn't non-native brown trout displace native rainbow trout? If so, I doubt CDFG would do that given the push to restore native wild trout populations. just sayin'

EricO
08-06-2015, 09:43 PM
Rainbows...even better. I'd just like to see a healthy population of trout in there.

Water should be plenty cold to sustain. I know there is pocket water downstream,
but not sure how the spawning habitat is. Probably not good.

EO

Craig Nielsen
08-12-2015, 10:31 PM
John:
Yellow Creek is stunningly beautiful especially now that cattle have been removed, and worth checking out even if the fishing is poor. It is the place where I introduced my wife to fly fishing over thirty years ago. I have heard from a reliable source that the meadow is impacted with whirling disease which has infected the introduced Brown Trout (as well as native Rainbows) which is rare.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-13-2015, 08:27 AM
My old friend Bob Long has fished it for decades in May/June.

He says you have to be very quiet and say back from the water.