PDA

View Full Version : Stripers Everywhere!

Tony Buzolich
08-04-2015, 04:16 PM
They're not just in the delta Bill, they're everywhere. The guys have been saying the American is full of small fish but I'd like to add that the Feather has a ton of them too.

This morning Jim and I got out on the water early and saw lots of fish busting the surface but found them to be carp feeding crazily on hatch that covered the water. (caddis I think).

We fished two hours without a good bump or grab. Along the way we saw schools of shad minnows feeding in mass along the surface as well. As we dropped downstream and got into some shallower water we switched to a much smaller fly and cast into the riffles next to the weeds and from there it was non stop for next two hours. Fish after fish, several doubles, all added up to a Feather River Grand Slam of stripers, small mouth bass, and large mouth bass. Everybody was eating these shad smolt coming downstream. We even had three or four stripers that could have come home for dinner.

Jim finally had to go to work around 10:00 or else I think we'd both still be there. Today it was really a match the hatch game with the size of the fly.

I'm sure I'll be out there again tomorrow only this time with a six or seven weight. Great fun :)

Tony

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-04-2015, 10:15 PM
Thanks Tony

Nice to hear we have lots of small fish.

SB Gaucho
08-05-2015, 08:11 AM
Any suggestions regarding what type of water to look for them to be holding in? I will be walk/wading the American River mostly. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Darian
08-05-2015, 09:11 AM
Fly fishing for Stripers while wading definitely limits your opportunities on the Lower American River but it's still doable. If you're near Kiene's American Fly Shop drop in when Andy Guibord is there. He can help you with access points and where you might be able to get into 'em. Another guy you might try to contact about wading is David Lee (board member). He targets Stripers on the American while wading. Send him a note.

Good luck.... :cool: