PDA

View Full Version : Where to take an 8 year old fly fishing?

Bob Loblaw
07-28-2015, 08:46 PM
My 8 year old daughter wants to step it up from chuckin bait. She has been fly fishing before with me, but never a serious trip....just in Burney Creek while we were on vacation.

I want to take her to the mountains next week and see if she gets the bug. Dry fly fishing preferably...simpler, fewer tangles and more fun for her. So I'm thinking either Kennedy Meadows or Calaveras Big Trees. I want somewhere safe to take her...no serious backcountry hiking...but where we have a shot at a few fish on top.

Any recomendations? Where to go or where to stay?

Thanks!

Alosa
07-28-2015, 09:16 PM
Kennedy Meadows is a wise choice.

Bob Loblaw
07-28-2015, 09:27 PM
Kennedy Meadows is a wise choice.

I've never stayed at the resort, is it worth it or should we do the campsite. Going up Wednesday evening and the site is first come first served...does it fill up midweek?....I don't want to get there with the kid and find it full. If we sleep in the car her mom will kill me!

Alosa
07-29-2015, 09:39 AM
I went camping there solo in September a few years back, so the kids were already back in school and it wasn't busy. I'd call ahead and check to be sure. If camping isn't an option I'm sure the resort could accomodate you.

k9mark
07-29-2015, 08:33 PM
Right before you pull into kennedy meadows there are two campgrounds, deadman and i forget the other. You should have no problem getting a sight. Kennedy would be a excellent choice.

jersey
07-29-2015, 11:35 PM
Baker is next to dead mans... You will find a place up there.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-30-2015, 08:31 AM
Go to Kennedy Meadows Resort & Pack Station and get out on an overnight horse pack trip into the high country.

http://www.kennedymeadows.com/

You probably need to call them and set it up first.

You will find streams and lakes with suicidal trout.

They cater to fly fishers.....

Bob Loblaw
08-10-2015, 10:32 AM
I went up to Kennedy Meadows Thursday night and fished all day Friday and Saturday. I didn't bring the kid because I didn't have guaranteed camping and the weather forecast was bad...and it rained most of Friday, she would have been miserable.

Loved the scenery and the fishing was great too. I fished exclusively dries and dry/droppers and had tons of eager little fish. I also had 3 decent sized browns in the 14 inch range. One absolutely murdered a big orange stimulator...I saw it coming up from the bottom of a deep hole and nail the fly and go airborne with it and shake it in his mouth to kill it as he flew. It was awesome!

I was really disappointed by the condition of the river however. Every bankside tree was festooned with gear. Bobbers and lead shot were everywhere and I must have carried out about 200 yards of 50lb test mono. There were beer cans and bait pots and trash everywhere. Shame to see how some people treat such a beautiful place. I hiked in a few miles on Saturday to get away from the crowds and the trash and to get some solitude.

That place would be perfect if it was fly only and they stopped dumping those triploid monsters in every week.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-10-2015, 01:23 PM
Next time get a one day horse trip so you can get away for the day at Kennedy Meadows Pack Station.

Probably leave early and ride into some remote places.

Be sure to tell them that you are fly fishing.

A great way to get away from the crowds.