PDA

View Full Version : Tarpon Cay Lodge

Rick J
07-27-2015, 07:17 AM
Leave Thurs for TCL with my brother - my 5th or 6th trip - can't think of a better destination for baby tarpon as well as the adults if so inclined and weather permits
Here is a video I have posted before that a friend did for us on a trip from maybe 2 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIEMFXiUtrI

Rick

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-27-2015, 02:14 PM
This is one of my favorite destinations......

I love the food there too.

Tony
07-29-2015, 07:57 PM
Going to Tarpon Cay the back half of next week. Starting at Isla Del Sabalo at beginning of week.

I am stoked.

Hopefully the migatories are at Tarpon Cay in numbers. I have heard the largest Tarpon this year is 40lbs. I hope to top my 100 lb I got in Sarasota a few weeks ago. Hooked 2 others, one about 80 lbs that broke the flyline and another about 130 lbs that broke the leader 20 minutes into the fight.

I suspect Isla Del Sabalo has migratories as well but the fishery still has to be unlocked to some extent.

What are yall's thoughts on bringing a 7 weight Method with me for some for the fish at Tarpon cay? I suspect the fish at Isla Del Sabalo are a bit much for it.

Oh, and I heard Marco caught a Permit a couple of weeks ago-on a Mayan Warrior no less. Are the Permit in the area you fish for migatories in sufficient numbers to target them?

DLJeff
07-30-2015, 08:51 AM
If you can cast the flies you plan to use with a 7 weight, bring it along. Remember the bigger migratory fish are the exception rather than the rule along the Yucatan. It takes a unique combination of weather and timing to find those fish. Go prepared to fish the juveniles and consider yourself blessed if you get lucky enough to get a shot at the bigger fish.

Rick J
07-30-2015, 01:52 PM
I much prefer the babies over the migratory fish. Lots more shots - you get that vicious grab and no long tug of war

Tony
08-15-2015, 07:53 PM
Tarpon cay had such low tides we only did one afternoon session in 4 days of fishing. Fish were spooky but would still hit. Overall, it was awesome!

Biggest one caught was in the 60 lb range. Actually caught a few in that range. Stuck one 130-140 but came unbuttoned on 2nd jump. Hit a flatliner.

Best color was orange in either a neutralizer or megalopsicle in cream w/ orange.

First couple of days had lots of surface grass p. Deep cover shrimp was only fly that would not get fouled at least a little bit. Had 20 fish (give or take) blow up on it on day 1 and missed all but a couple.

Can't say enough about Tarpon Cay. it will be interesting to see it when the tides are normal. I opened up the trip at Isla del Sabalo for 3 days. It was OK but not Tarpon Cay. The remoteness was nice.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-15-2015, 09:58 PM
Marco Ruz has 4 great destinations in the northern Mexican Yucatan

www.yucatanflyfishing.com

Leo Gutterres and I pioneered these great flats fisheries with Keith Kaneko.