PDA

View Full Version : Relocation ideas

kylgrn
07-26-2015, 11:43 AM
If you had the choice of moving anywhere in the Western US, and your priorities were:

1) Good schools
2) Safe
3) Close to cold water fishing
4) within 3 hours of an airport

Where would you go? I have a flexible job and the Wife and I are seriously considering a relocation in the next couple years. We can't get what we want in California, or we could, but I would be chained to a huge mortgage and would have "given in" to the system! (I know other places are also expensive, but I'd think the beauty and area attractions we look for would outweigh that).

I've yet to visit Bend, but I hear decent things about it... We also love Bozeman, however I'm a tad hesitant due to the long winters (we also have family in Missoulla) and the idea of how my older parents would adjust to that climate over time. I know nothing about Colorado or Idaho..

Just looking for some ideas as we might plan vacations over the next couple years around some potential spots.

James W
07-26-2015, 12:48 PM
Portland. Go visit!

johnsquires
07-26-2015, 01:03 PM
I've also been searching for "my perfect place," which I'm beginning to think does not exist, at least not until I win the lottery.

Personally, I like Bend. I especially like Sisters, just a bit north of Bend. I've been told that Sisters, like Ennis, MT, gets more than its fair share of wind at certain times - and I'm not a fan of wind. Everyone I've talked to about Bend had good things to say about it. One person did mention there is a noticeable lack of diversity.

I love Sun Valley, ID and Jackson, WY. I was watching a TV show the other night about a bar in Moose, right next to Jackson. One of the residents commented on the fact that you have to have a lot of money to even be considered poor in that area.

My next roadtrip is going to be to Joseph, OR because I like what I see on the internet about Joseph.

Good luck. I look forward to reading the suggestions.

TaylerW
07-26-2015, 02:43 PM
Mt.shasta, ashland

aaron
07-26-2015, 07:10 PM
I don't think you'll find the perfect all encompassing place, but once you leave CA you'll probably wonder what took so long.

Boise and its burbs are nice, inexpensive compared to CA, and somewhat metropolitan if that's your thing. The fishing is ok and the weather is more mild than further East.

Ogden is booming economically, is relatively inexpensive, and has access to fishing, skiing, mountain biking etc. Weekend trips to ID/MT/WY are easy. The air sucks in the winter time.

You can live like a king in Idaho Falls and be close to more blue ribbon fishing than you know what to do with. The wind can be rough and winters a little dull but I loved my time there. The schools aren't the best and there are lots of mormons if that matters but its pretty darn safe and has some cool under the radar spots.

Missoula is a fun town, Bozangelas is a bit pricy and overrun with Californians as is, Helena is nice.

There's plenty of hippy/cowboy towns scattered across ID, MT, WY that are way cool if you can handle smaller and slower.
Stanley, Ketchum, Teton Valley, Dillon, Star Valley and on and on and on.

Just have a winter hobby and you'll be fine. The milder summers, fishing, water, views, gas prices, cost of living all offset that. Sounds like you need to make a road trip.

kylgrn
07-26-2015, 08:17 PM
I don't think you'll find the perfect all encompassing place, but once you leave CA you'll probably wonder what took so long.

Boise and its burbs are nice, inexpensive compared to CA, and somewhat metropolitan if that's your thing. The fishing is ok and the weather is more mild than further East.

Ogden is booming economically, is relatively inexpensive, and has access to fishing, skiing, mountain biking etc. Weekend trips to ID/MT/WY are easy. The air sucks in the winter time.

You can live like a king in Idaho Falls and be close to more blue ribbon fishing than you know what to do with. The wind can be rough and winters a little dull but I loved my time there. The schools aren't the best and there are lots of mormons if that matters but its pretty darn safe and has some cool under the radar spots.

Missoula is a fun town, Bozangelas is a bit pricy and overrun with Californians as is, Helena is nice.

There's plenty of hippy/cowboy towns scattered across ID, MT, WY that are way cool if you can handle smaller and slower.
Stanley, Ketchum, Teton Valley, Dillon, Star Valley and on and on and on.

Just have a winter hobby and you'll be fine. The milder summers, fishing, water, views, gas prices, cost of living all offset that. Sounds like you need to make a road trip.

Thanks for the input! I realize that the "all encompassing place" doesn't exist unless your profession caters to tourism...in which case you might actually make it in a town like Jackson, but even still. Its funny you mention the "overrun with Californians" bit, why is it always Californians? We cant be the only state where people desire to live someplace else right? I think they just hone in on Californians. I'm not necessarily looking for those Truckee/Weaverville type towns, but more of the Reddings and Bozemans where you have a decent population but are within an hour or two of lots of fishing options and other outdoor opportunities.

Charlie S
07-26-2015, 10:27 PM
I moved to the Bend area about a year ago. I haven't looked back once. If my daughter and grandson didn't live near Sacramento I wouldn't ever go back there unless it was to visit other relatives and friends. Sisters is the place to be if you want the best schools for your kids, they are all top rated. Fishing is close to almost anywhere around Bend. People are friendly, many things to do, active cultural and sports interests, etc, etc, etc. come on up and visit. I'd be happy to show you around if our schedules could mesh.

Mike O
07-26-2015, 10:47 PM
South Boise, in between Boise and Meridian. Boise river flows right through. The Snake River has good duck hunting. There are a lot of great fish rivers within 3 hours, and the weather is nice. The schools in Boise are first rate, (I know, they wouldn't hire me!!). Some of the towns around Boise are nice too, but not Nampa or Caldwell.

And you can buy a place in the S. Boise area with a bit of acreage quite a bit cheaper than CA.

Rockman
07-29-2015, 07:01 AM
I also have to vote for Mt. Shasta/Dunsmuir area. We are selling our home in Dunsmuir at this time and moving up the hill to Mt. Shasta. I know it is still California, but it is rural enough with larger cities only 45-60 minuets away. The places to fish? Not enough space to list them. Outdoor recreation, so much too do. Great town to raise a family. Oh, and Mt. Shasta is a pretty nice mountain to gaze at every day. If you ever want more info. about the area, send me a p.m.

johnsquires
07-29-2015, 03:53 PM
For those of us who don't like to bumping into others when we're fishing, are there places to fish around Mt. Shasta that offer a little solitude?

Rockman
07-29-2015, 06:25 PM
I have fished many places without seeing another fisherman on the upper Sac.,Pit, upper McCloud, Scott,Salmon, and others. As with any place such as these, you may still occasionally meet another person on the river,but it is so easy to scoot up or down river. High elevation lakes? To many to list. I can not wait to live there full time.

Idadon
07-29-2015, 08:10 PM
I've lived in Idaho Falls for 25 years. Moved here to fish in the summer and ski in the winter. Cost of living and real estate are as cheap as you are likely to find in the U.S. GREAT FLYFISHING IS JUST UP THE ROAD! I can be fishing the South Fork in less than an hour and the Henry's Fork is just a little farther drive. I fish April thru November and have two 29" Bows to my credit (both from the Henry's below Ashton dam).

Now the bad part. Wind is almost always a factor. Summer consists of several days in late July, the rest of the time it can be cool to cold due to the 5000 ft elevation. I have been snowed on on the 4th of July but I have rarely got skunked. In fact the area in the city limits holds Bows and Browns that will tear up your tackle. My son caught a Brown three years ago that was slightly under 18 pounds on a #14 bead head nymph, in the city limits.

It's a good clean town and a great place to raise kids. Now that I can leave in the fall and spend the cold months over on the Klamath or Rogue I love it even more. Be forewarned, if you come here plan on getting a drift boat. The Snake, both the South and North Forks, are big water. Wading is good after the irrigation season is over and the water is dropped down on the South Fork. The water is pretty even on the North Fork most of the year. The winters can be brutal but not as bad as they were when I moved here.

kylgrn
08-02-2015, 09:26 AM
Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your opinions and recommendations! Greatly appreciated, we've got some exploring to do :)

johnsquires
08-02-2015, 08:54 PM
The way the drought and warming patterns are going in CA, OR, WA and MT, maybe Juneau, AK is worth a look (especially if you're young). I could live vicariously through you and your fishing stories.

Spicytuna1
08-03-2015, 08:46 AM
Lodi Lodi and Lodi again

johnsquires
08-03-2015, 10:06 AM
Carp fishing in Lodi Lake with a doughball fly?

kylgrn
08-03-2015, 12:25 PM
Lodi Lodi and Lodi again

Unfortunately I sold the bass boat LONG ago (even let it sit for a couple years), otherwise it looks like fun out there :)