PDA

View Full Version : American river drifting

rouleur35
07-21-2015, 08:46 PM
Hi,
Looking to take my drift boat out on the American river to practice rowing. Wondering about sections that are between 1-2 hr long and not too challenging. I live out towards. El dorado hills, so upper river area preferred.

Also, is it reasonably ok to leave the boat, drive down to the take out and ride or run back up without someone joy riding the boat down stream?

Thanks,
Tom

TaylerW
07-21-2015, 09:54 PM
I've gotten away with it many times. Sailor Bar to Rossmoor Bar is a nice short float.

rouleur35
07-22-2015, 09:40 AM
hi Tayler,

about how long does that take if you are just going straight through with no screwing around. hope all is well with you and your pup.

thanks,
tom

M Duper
07-24-2015, 08:28 AM
Sailor Bar to Sunrise area is a short trip. Lot's of water to play around in. Would be fine for someone that's new on the sticks. Just remember to continuously back row.

Andrew Guibord
08-02-2015, 07:58 AM
Sailor Bar to Rossmore is a good float, takes about 2, 2 and a half if you just row. A shorter trip is to go from Sailor to Sunrise. If you are interested, I teach an introduction to floating the American River class. I do not like to leave my boat alone when ever possible...I have so far without troubles , but definitely take out the gear. When I guide, I hire my friend to do a shuttle so I can head home right away after a tiring trip. You could throw your bike in and ride up river on the paved trail. Some people call a taxi. Call me if you have any questions. Enjoy the river.