PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Expectations

Idadon
07-21-2015, 06:03 AM
Just joined your group and in need of some advise. In an attempt to relive some memories from my youth I am planning on spending Sept at the mouth of the Klamath chasing surf perch and maybe chasing a Salmon or two for the smoker. Pretty much combat fishing, I know, but it's been 50 years since I've felt the power of a Chinook and I'm not getting any younger! I am worried about water temps in Sept and what to expect. I used to catch an occasional fish using a shooting head setup and swinging a fly that looked like a combination of a comet and globug, sort of an egg-sucking comet. Does anybody ever throw a fly at the mouth anymore?

Second part of my question concerns the Grants Pass stretch of the Rogue. Have plans to spend mid October in the area and hope to stick a Steelie or two. I'm OK with Spey and Switch gear but from what I have been reading swinging flies is not the popular method anymore. Now Steelheaders nymph fish for them using dead drift techniques with indicators. I guess my big question is "what should I expect to work best"?

Like the Klamath, I am worried about water conditions in October. Is the Rogue a tough River to wade? Lots of slick rocks or nice clean small cobble? Felt soles or cleats? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Just for background purposes, I grew up in northern Ca, college at Humboldt, retired Navy and the last 25 years in Eastern Idaho chasing Cuttthroats. Fly fished since I was a young kid (55+ years now).

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-21-2015, 08:04 AM
There will be Half-pounder Steelhead in the lower Klamath river in September.

I would fish early morning and late evening in September unless you get lots of cloud/fogg cover in the day time.

We get a small salmon, on occasion, while swinging for half-pounders on the lower Klamath.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

I would swing flies early and late on the Rogue River in mid-October and then maybe do some deep indicator nymphing in the day time?

__________________________________________________ ________________________

All that water should be OK and cooled off by October.

I like studded felt shoes for wading the Rogue and Klamath.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________

If you call our shop, Kiene's American Fly Fishing Company, on Tuesday or Wednesday and ask for Terry Thomas, he has fly fished the Klamath and Rogue rivers for years.

Toll free USA 1-800-400-0359

Idadon
07-21-2015, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the info. It's been a long time since I've fished that area and really am looking forward to getting back out there. While I still enjoy Idaho I have a bad need to fish over something besides trout. Leaving the drift boat home so will be wading. Wish me luck!

Rick J
07-21-2015, 11:46 AM
lots of folks stick to swinging on the Rogue and do well. Perhaps the bug guys do better but if you like to swing I would go for it. I agree with Bill - would suggest felts with studs

TaylerW
07-21-2015, 01:30 PM
D.Lee's book is killer

Idadon
07-21-2015, 06:54 PM
I grew up swinging Skunks, Hiltons, and others, usually with shooting heads. I've had 25 years of watching indicators so while I enjoy watching them go under I still like the tug of a fish on a nice swing. As for the felt/stud thing, I have my old felt boots or new studded lug sole boots. Guess I'll bring both pairs and see. So much worry anymore about Invasive Species. I will check out Mr lee's book. Sounds pretty interesting.

Thanks for the responses. If anyone out there has any advise on "best fly" that would be nice too.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-21-2015, 07:21 PM
http://www.dennisplee.com/

I see Dennis will be putting on a presentation about Half-pounders at the Fly Fishers of Davis monthly fly fishing club meeting and has a book signing too.

It is on July 28, 2015, Tuesday evening in Davis, CA.

http://www.flyfishersofdavis.org/

This will be a chance for many of us to learn more about the history of the half-pounder and get a signed copy of his new book.

The Davis club will be happy to have a lot of guests that night.

TaylerW
07-21-2015, 07:34 PM
Do some sleuthing, bank access on the rogue can be tough, at least near medford ect

Rick J
07-22-2015, 05:28 AM
sent you a PM

pvsprme
07-22-2015, 07:30 AM
Since you're going to be on the Rogue you'll be less than 100 miles from the Holy Waters of the North Umpqua. No better place to swing/skate a fly, easy access, beautiful water.

Idadon
07-22-2015, 08:32 AM
Funny you should mention that. I had considered making the drive but not sure if it would be worth it. I figured with only one month in the area should I try to sample other rivers in the area or just try to learn a few runs on the Rogue. I also considered spending a few days down on the upper Klamath, the Hornbrook area. That was one of my Dad's favorite areas. So many rivers and so little time. I might just have to sell out of Idaho and move to Oregon. Might have to sweet talk the wife though.

JayDubP
07-22-2015, 04:45 PM
One accessory you'll need if you fish right at the mouth of the Klamath-- a hard hat or batting helmet... and maybe even a padded (or kevlar vest) for all the incoming lead weights.

You should bring an inflatable and consider fishing near Johnson's on the Klamath... it would allow you to fish both sides of the river and to anchor in some great spots. Probably not much need to float a long distance, but that is an alternative and the Klamath from confluence of the Trinity to Johnson's is easy float without any whitewater... lots of sand bars and beaches to fish from.

Idadon
07-22-2015, 06:29 PM
Brings back fond memories from my college days. Combo Abalone/Salmon weekends, beer, beach fires and sleeping in my car over the weekend. Back then there could be some good crowds on the spit but sometimes it was a whole lot of FUN. A few fights too. I thought about an inflatable kayak and I still have my Dad's 8' pram he used on the Eel and Smith in the 50's. It's pretty beat up but caught a few fish in it's day. Might opt to car top the pram, haven't decided on that. Will probably end up just fishing off the bank. How far up the river is Johnson's?

Terry Thomas
07-23-2015, 08:31 AM
Since the Rogue has the advantage of colder water coming out of Lost Creek Res., it should produce better fishing conditions than the Klamath in the early season. Pick up a StreamTime map of the Rogue and look at the area above Tou Velle Park. Will and Jon at the Ashland Fly Shop are great sources of information for the "Jefferson" area.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-23-2015, 08:57 AM
Was just talking with Al Perryman who said that Dennis' new book has tons of CA DF&G netting survey info that will tell you when the best time to be on the rivers to intercept the runs.

I guess if you fly fish for Steelhead, you better get one of these books.

Idadon
07-23-2015, 12:33 PM
Probably right. My most up to date reference is "Steelheading Guide" by Jim Conway. I think it was published back in the 70's. One of my father's books. Some good stuff I think but tries to cover most of northern Ca, Oregon & Washington, all in 80 pages. Thanks

ricards
07-25-2015, 07:20 PM
Make sure that you are aware of Oregon Fish and Wildlife emergency restrictions if you are going to be fishing the Rogue.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/news/2015/july/071615.asp

Idadon
07-25-2015, 07:57 PM
I assume you are referring to the 2pm shutdown? I wonder if that will still be in effect in October? I think it is probably a good restriction if the water is to warm. Must be a bad deal for the guides though.

ricards
07-26-2015, 12:38 PM
I assume you are referring to the 2pm shutdown? I wonder if that will still be in effect in October? I think it is probably a good restriction if the water is to warm. Must be a bad deal for the guides though.

Yep, and with no rain in the immediate forecast, I can see no reason why that restriction will not still be in effect in October. Doesn't effect the entire Rogue, however.

Idadon
07-26-2015, 04:56 PM
Soooo....pretty much can expect the river to be open all day from a little above Gold Hill? Or all the way down in the tidewater? Maybe you guys will get some good rains before October and F&G will open it up again. If I recall most steelhead are pretty OK with 40-60* stuff. Below 40* they get really lethargic and above 60*, well we don't ever get above 60* in the Salmon River during our open season.

I guess I will just hope for the best.