PDA

View Full Version : Klamath river salmon help

toby
07-11-2015, 04:10 PM
I was hoping to get some advice about fly fishing for salmon on the Klamath. I fish the middle river once every fall for the half pounders, but i want to make a special trip a little earlier for salmon, late August or early September. I think i will fish Johnson bar, or is that to far up stream that a salmon wont take a fly? I would like use my 8 wt. Spey rod, or do i need something heavier? Any information about fly selection would allso would be much appreciated.
I have been searching but have not found any information about this. A little curious as to why there is not much interest. Thanks.

Norman B
07-12-2015, 11:36 PM
After 30 years fly fishing the K, I have only caught 3 salmon on a fly, all while targeting steelhead.
I have tried to target salmon in September at the mouth of the K when they are pouring in from the ocean without success.
I believe that they are not eating, just sex and death.
I had a friend who could catch them on a big egg fly using a lead core sinking head, but he would soak the fly in some stinky stuff (I just couldn't do it).

Darian
07-13-2015, 01:35 PM
Just general stuff.... Never targeted Salmon in the Klamath but have in the Trinity (shorter distance to travel). Seems like most of the water below Weitchpec is to big for a single hander fly rodding for Salmon; maybe two handed?? It also seems to me that the water around Johnson's doesn't lend itself to fly fishing for Salmon and much of the water below there is a zoo when the fish are in. In general, if Salmon are not yet ready to move onto the riffles for spawning (too dark) they will willingly take a fly at times.

At any rate, I would concentrate your efforts in the pools and eddies. There are several areas above the forks where Salmon could be easily targeted. The pool below the bridge at Orleans comes to mind, unless it has filled in or closed to fishing. You should have a pram to fish these holes properly. IMO, the Trinity River is a better water to target Salmon. It's smaller and has good access to many pools that harbor Salmon moving up river. You'll need a good map for reference.

There're some members of this bulletin board that fish up there regularly during season. Hopefully, they will chip in with better info.

Walter
07-13-2015, 07:23 PM
I have had many people including Game Wardens try to convince me that the only way salmon take a fly is by being snagged or lined through the mouth. I will tell you that is not the case. Sometimes fish dont bite, sometimes they do. Water temperature, the urge to travel upriver or maybe even the stage of the tide might affect their willingness to take anything presented short of maybe a few bait fishing tricks. How, or if, the salmon is even seeing your fly might influece their willingness to snatch it. Line selection for the water fished is crucial. And salmon have different takes than a trout or steelhead. The sensations in the line, if you can feel them, might not be as straightforward as with other fisheries. Thats my 2 cents.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-13-2015, 09:52 PM
We accidentally get a small salmon while fishing half-pounders on the lower Klamath River in Aug/Sept.

I don't see many targeting them with flies......but it could work in the right place and time.

Fly fishing for King salmon is very popular on the lower Rogue River in Aug/Sept.

Later in the fall, weather/rain permitting, some fly fish the Lower Eel, Lower Smith and Lower Chetco Rivers for King salmon.