PDA

View Full Version : Dought effecting fish on the Truckee River

Bull_Dog
07-08-2015, 03:00 PM
Finally we are getting some much needed help from local T.V and Newspaper telling anglers to leave the fish alone. This link is to Reno Channel 8 from the news last night.

http://www.kolotv.com/news/headlines/Drought-Killing-Fish-in-Truckee-River-312336461.html

It is raining hard in Reno right now. Every cool day we have will help the situation.
There is also some great pictures and Video on

https://www.facebook.com/RenoFlyFishingOutfitters
Rob Anderson
Reno Fly Fishing Outfitters
Pyramid Lake Fly Fishing

Ralph
07-08-2015, 08:08 PM
Pretty friggin feeble IMHO. Don't have some TV bimbo asking anglers to leave fish alone when NDOW should be demanding that they do so.

Bull_Dog
07-08-2015, 10:16 PM
Pretty friggin feeble IMHO. Don't have some TV bimbo asking anglers to leave fish alone when NDOW should be demanding that they do so.

We can use all the help we can get. It is not the lady on T.V's fault (the so called Bimbo) that NDOW jumped in too soft and to late. The people on the News have a better chance of reaching a different audience than we do. If their efforts keep a couple of weekend bait anglers off the river it was well worth it. They could have backed the "rest your river" thing from NDOW but they did not. They went the full mile to suggest to anglers not to fish the river at all until the drought situation gets better.

Morgan
07-09-2015, 06:42 AM
I cant agree more Rob. The river can use all the help it can get.
Im suprised locals havent made more signs that "look" official to say the river is closed to fishing.

cdevine
07-09-2015, 11:50 AM
I cant agree more Rob. The river can use all the help it can get.
Im suprised locals havent made more signs that "look" official to say the river is closed to fishing.

Its been really nice to get rainy cold weather the last week in the greater tahoe basin. Does this mean you should fish? Hell no. But it certainly helps. I'm a fan of any publicity on river closure is good PR. Whether its a bimbo with a nice set on TV is beside the point.

BTW, I hate this drought.

BumpBailey
07-09-2015, 12:39 PM
I was up for a week around the holiday and wanted to fish so bad but, driving over the river at 267 and seeing what almost looked like a string of puddles I didn't even bother getting my gear off the shelf. Hope we get a nice string of those storms throughout the summer, minus the lightning.

yubaman
07-09-2015, 05:32 PM
I was up in Truckee 2 weeks ago and even with what I had already heard, was blown away by the flow in town. I mean ankle deep in some areas. WOW! We just got back from Montana yesterday. If you want to fish there, you better hurry, and I mean fast. They are in the same water situation we are. Flows are at October levels, and it's the beginning of July. Beginning July 1, Montana DNR has closed the Clark Fork, main Bitterroot, Blackfoot and I believe Big Hole to fishin g after 2 pm. Expect full closure after the next heat wave.

NVTrout
07-11-2015, 11:39 AM
Have you guys seen this pic?......http://www.truckeeriverkeepers.com/

Unbelievable that the entire Truckee River isn't closed........It is a great time to pick up trash though. You can get the crap that you couldn't get to when theres water in the river. KTMB has its annual Truckee River cleanup on Sept. 26th this year. I've done it before. You go to their website and sign up as a volunteer. Its pretty cool to have a focused effort and make some head-way. Especially since the Truckee through Reno gets its share of abuse.