PDA

View Full Version : If you won a contest...

johnsquires
07-04-2015, 12:12 PM
and your prize was a piece of land in an area of your choice upon which to build a cabin, taking into account such things as weather, quality of fishing, scenery, population density, etc., where would you choose?

Darian
07-04-2015, 12:28 PM
a piece of land of my choice, it would be around La Paz, BCS, MX. Of course, it takes some thinking/planning to live down there. One of my concerns would be if my medical insurance would cover me in MX (some insurers won't).

Mike O
07-04-2015, 12:56 PM
Just the land? Big Sky, Montana. No matter what I did, I fish there forever, and then leave enough money for my kids

FISHEYE
07-04-2015, 02:19 PM
I would go to Cooper Landing on the Kenai River, Alaska.

NVTrout
07-04-2015, 02:26 PM
I'd prolly go with central Idaho......Striking distance to Yellowstone, Henrys, Snake, Silver Creek, S.Fork Boise, Owyhee, not to mention wilderness stuff, stillwaters, hunting.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-05-2015, 06:24 AM
Oregon Coast......

johnsquires
07-05-2015, 07:57 PM
Anybody ever been to Joseph, OR? If so, what did you think?

Mike McKenzie
07-05-2015, 10:13 PM
Anybody ever been to Joseph, OR? If so, what did you think?

Drop dead beautiful country, just a drive up out of town and a look Wallowa Lake with the mountains in the background says it all. Lumber or hay growin' or workin' for the Forest Service is most of the work available. Lots of fishin' in the Wallowa's.The Grande Ronde is not too far of a drive and the Snake R. to the east not to far but killer roads ... lots of packin' to places in the Eagle Cap Wilderness and the Wallowa Mountains in general.
The Wallowa's are surrounded to the west and south by the Blue Mountains, more than enough country to spend a lifetime learning....

Joseph is about as remote as you can get anywhere in lower 48 by hiway... Winters are not too cold low to mid teens on average (can get snow 3-4' deep) and summers are not too hot (mid nineties). Not a bad place to live if have a way to make a livin' or don't need one...

Mike

SeanO
07-05-2015, 10:32 PM
Tough to choose.

Maybe a place on the Umpqua?

johnsquires
07-06-2015, 07:58 AM
Thanks, Mike. We're thinking of going to the Blues And Brew Festival in Aug and checking out Joseph.

Most of the places I would choose if I won a lot - I couldn't afford to build a house there. I really like Sun Valley and Jackson, but, as Steve Martin said about how to get rich, "First you get a million dollars."

Mike O
07-06-2015, 10:06 PM
It's all about the camping. Never been anywhere more beautiful than the Galletin River Valley