PDA

View Full Version : Looking forward to fishing and photography in Olympic NP soon!

Bluegrass Bill
07-02-2015, 09:21 AM
Hi Folks, My wife and I are retired and love taking trips where we can take in the beauty of our National parks as well as partake in the fishing there at the same time. We had a wonderful time visiting Yellowstone for the first time 2 years ago and vowed we need to make at least one trip a year to a new park. Olympic National Park in Washington is next on our list and we are getting more and more excited about our plans to spend a week in Olympic NP coming up in October.

I am only just starting to research the fishing possibilities there and it seems the options are incredible from steelhead and salmon, to rainbow and cutthroat trout, and even fishing saltwater on the beaches if I were so inclined. Its making my head spin but it is a good problem to have:). Both my wife and I love photography as well and are very excited about the wonderful photographic opportunities that Olympic will provide us as well.:)

I may consider a guided trip for steelhead but am more inclined to look for some smaller water I can easily navigate for trout. I grew up fishing small streams for trout and for pure enjoyment a beautiful trout stream set in the beauty of a NP with eager trout is almost impossible to beat. I would love to hear from anybody with personal knowledge of fishing up in Olympic for any fishing recommendations in or around the park.

On the way up we will be stopping for a few days near Bend Oregon to see friends and do some fishing as well. Just thinking about our trip is getting me antsy to go now! It is really nice to be retired :)

Tony Buzolich
07-02-2015, 10:38 AM
Bill, You didn't say how you'll be traveling, camper, tent, motorhome ? I've taken my kids camping that area several times when they were young. I remember turning off at Tumwater and visiting the Olympia brewing company then heading up the Hood Canal. Lots of campsites and fishing along the way. Stayed at one called ? Ducabush ? Really nice stream that goes right into the salt and caught some saltwater cutthroats right off the beach at the mouth. Folks there were using traps to catch spot-prawns right off the beach too. Bought some from a guy on the road selling them and were wonderful on the "Barbie" at campfire time for dinner.

Continued on toward Port Angeles and had fantastic crab spaghetti at a place called Dupre's. Fished the Elwa river and caught several trout, too early for the steelhead in August. If you're in the Port Angeles area you can also take the ferry over to Victoria for a day trip. Most beautiful town I've ever seen.
Tony

Bluegrass Bill
07-02-2015, 07:33 PM
Tony, Many thanks for your suggestions! In Oregon we will be staying a few nights at a friends as we will in the Portland area. In and around the park we will be looking to rent a small cabin in the area or as a last resort some nights in a hotel. We had a great little rustic cabin for 5 days when we went to Yellowstone and that is what we hope to find at Olympic.

I grew up camping with my folks and then did it a lot with our kids as well and it was a blast in my younger days. These days however getting up and down in a tent and setting things up like we used to to is not so much fun anymore and we really haven’t done in tent camping now for a few years. Next year we hope to have a small travel trailer we can pull. :)

I love all the suggestions, and will definitely check them out. Fishing will always be important but good places to eat and great sights to see are add to the fun and adventure, Thanks again and we will be happy to share all the details and pictures when we get back. :)

hwchubb
07-06-2015, 12:06 AM
Bill,

Wow, am I jealous. I've been traveling to Seattle for the last several years on business, but have mostly seen only the eastern side of the OP. Give the sea run cutts a shot - a running tide with the sun setting behind the Olympics, sea lions ( and the occasional whale, haven't seen an. Orca yet) hunting on a flat bay - and, oh yeah, you can fish as well! Seriously, they have become one of my favorite fish, and fishing experiences.

Late Aug and Sept will see the pinks running as well. They're like a salmon id version of shad - mostly 4-7 lbs, and when they come in, they come in big numbers. Also, you won't be alone...

Also, Amy's on the Bay in Port Orchard is another tough one to beat. Great seafood, and opened to the bay right behind it with the battleships and aircraft carriers in Bremerton in the background.

The OP is magic. Enjoy the trip!

Bluegrass Bill
07-06-2015, 11:52 AM
Many hanks for your terrific recommendations hw, they are going into my "book" on must see/do items for our trip :)