PDA

View Full Version : Poor Truckee River

baldeagleflyfishing
06-29-2015, 01:38 PM
Hi , I went up to fish the Truckee on friday morning and it looked almost dry under the 267 bridge. I ended up going down to the Hirshdale exit and fished in the Canyon and caught about 10 fish on a dry / dropper set up (big fish was approx 14) , but the water got really warm before noon, so I stopped and probably won't fish it again till late fall.( when we get cold water again) looks like another good season for stillwater fishing or motorcycle rides.

Dave E.
06-29-2015, 03:58 PM
Hi BaldEagle,
Our small group of angling friends reached a consensus in the spring of 2014 that we’d layoff the Truckee’s and a few others, until the drought ends. " One less guy ". We’ve all held to it as far as I know. What’s great about California is the diversity of our fisheries. For us it means more trips to the coast for surf fishing and like you, more time on lakes ( not those typically thought of as fly angling destinations ) and that big silver bird to places with trout, not plagued by drought.

Enjoy your season, Dave

Morgan
07-01-2015, 04:33 PM
The river cant officially close quick enough.
Please leave it alone folks. Plenty of other waters out there.
The fish need our help now to get the best fighting chance possible.

Randy Lee
07-01-2015, 06:04 PM
The water past Verdi looks like a slow trickle at best! They are pumping water out of Tahoe to Keep theRiver/Reno alive. There are diversions on the river above Verdi taking water out of the Truckee. Leave those fish alone!. Its not going to get any better for a year. Sorry, read em and weep.

cyama
07-01-2015, 07:21 PM
It is good to see the local guides and TU are working with CDFW to make a closure happen. I am guessing Mikey Weir, Dan Le Count, and Gilligan will be the first ones out there to help with posting signs. Look at the Truckee down in Nevada… A sad sight http://www.truckeeriverkeepers.com

cdevine
07-01-2015, 08:16 PM
It is good to see the local guides and TU are working with CDFW to make a closure happen. I am guessing Mikey Weir, Dan Le Count, and Gilligan will be the first ones out there to help with posting signs. Look at the Truckee down in Nevada… A sad sight http://www.truckeeriverkeepers.com

I went down to truckee in canyon section to take some temp readings and just see how things look. I haven't fished the river since the end of May. People need to leave it alone!!
Temps were 72 around 3pm today. Not healthy for catching fish and this was in some of the cooler water areas.
I was creek fishing today higher up for some little bookies on a fiberglass rod.
Fun stuff. Try other things. Honestly if you fish the river don't be surprised if your tires are flat or somebody tries to kick your ass. Not saying I would do that but I know others who are that passionate.

njbeast
07-02-2015, 09:11 AM
Just spent a week up there. Truckee is low...news had a story about not fishing...My friend is 80...been going to Tahoe all his life...family had a cabin near Tahoma since the 30's...said the lake is the lowest he's ever seen...decided to kayak instead of fish...Caples and Silver are full...Bear is way down...Red is the new green...

VinnySteel
07-02-2015, 06:16 PM
The worst part about this whole thing is that it's only the beginning of July! Most of these fish don't have a fighting chance. I wish there was some way to rescue all these suffocating trout and move them to one of the Lakes up there. An official closure is a MUST and as far as I'm concerned, any angler out there targeting these fish on the Truckee is a real POS!!! If you haven't seen some of the recent videos and pictures that Arlo Townsend has been posting out of the Reno area lately, you need to. It's hard to watch... https://www.facebook.com/arlosflyfishing/videos/1147144801978560/

NVTrout
07-04-2015, 02:19 PM
I was out east of Reno chasing carp, and I came across an out-of-stater fishing. I asked him if he was fishing for carp.....He says he's fishing for trout. I politely informed him of the situation......He continued to fish. Luckily, I don't think he really knew what he was doing. He was still in the same spot over an hour later when I was coming back down stream.....Not a spot a bunch of fish would congregate in these conditions anyway.

I think there are a lot of fly fishers who are truly ignorant as to how high water temps can adversely affect cold water fish.

Good to see some weather on this 4th of July!

Edit to clarify:
The out-of-stater was not from Cali....He was from another western state.....I know I'm hard on Cali, but it's truly an awesome state! I'm just a small town guy, and my wife likes to visit the "City" from time to time.....Traffic and congestion stress me out! haha.

John Sv
07-16-2015, 09:46 AM
My office is about 40 feet from the river. Left a window open last night and there are a bunch of size 12 grayish, speckled caddis flies flying around. River looks even lower today than it has.