PDA

View Full Version : North Yuba...GO NOW.

Gregg
06-21-2015, 07:44 PM
It's about as good as it gets on the North Yuba right now. We fished all day in multiple runs, never saw anyone else on the water. This is one stream I don't have a problem with advertising. There's plenty of room, plenty of access, and Downieville is a killer little town to R&R in. I can't say enough good things about Two Rivers Cafe btw, owner/manager was super nice and stayed open late for us when we got off the water. The garlic chicken pizza was one of the best I've ever had. Take plenty of yellow/orange stimulators in a 12 or 14, they're gonna get chewed up fast. Easily over 100 hits, most on back to back to back casts, probably 20 fish to hand, and they're feisty and jump and generally freak out. Doesn't get much better in the summer.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/661/ZPZmAC.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/idZPZmACj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/633/veRZ29.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/hlveRZ29j)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/540/Ll3Cug.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/f0Ll3Cugj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/661/pMP2IX.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/idpMP2IXj)

cdevine
06-22-2015, 04:35 AM
[QUOTE=Gregg;157725]It's about as good as it gets on the North Yuba right now. We fished all day in multiple runs, never saw anyone else on the water. This is one stream I don't have a problem with advertising. There's plenty of room, plenty of access, and Downieville is a killer little town to R&R in. I can't say enough good things about Two Rivers Cafe btw, owner/manager was super nice and stayed open late for us when we got off the water. The garlic chicken pizza was one of the best I've ever had. Take plenty of yellow/orange stimulators in a 12 or 14, they're gonna get chewed up fast. Easily over 100 hits, most on back to back to back casts, probably 20 fish to hand, and they're feisty and jump and generally freak out. Doesn't get much better in the summer.

Awesome pics. How were the water temps? I've taking it from the results pretty much perfect?
Thx even sharing this most people still have to make a big drive and a lot aren't comfortable boulder jumping. I doubt the masses show up.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-22-2015, 05:10 AM
Thanks Gregg

This is very important information.........go very soon.

There is a short time (two weeks?) every spring/summer that a fishery is peaking.

Going at that time is very important.

It varies every year with the snow pack/weather.

PMD
06-22-2015, 10:34 AM
Just make sure the water isn't too warm.

PV_Premier
06-22-2015, 12:45 PM
i was out there on Saturday from 10:30am-5pm

landed over 50 fish, it was an epic day. including some nice ones over 12". they are literally everywhere including in very skinny runs.

tied on the parachute adams and didn't change flies all day except replacing as they were getting torn up and destroyed

Gregg
06-22-2015, 10:51 PM
That's killer, it should have a couple more solid weeks left until temps start to spike. I checked in a handful of different spots and averaged about 58. Surprised it was so productive mid-day, we went through a couple hours from 1-3 of nothing, then was on fire from 5-8. Can't wait to get back there next week!

PV_Premier
06-25-2015, 08:04 AM
I went out again yesterday afternoon for a few hours, from 3-6:30. Not quite as good as Saturday, but it was a hotter day. Orange stimi with a psycho prince dropper was the hot ticket. Landed two nice ones over 12" and lots of the typical 6-9".

motosacto
06-25-2015, 09:41 AM
I went out again yesterday afternoon for a few hours, from 3-6:30. Not quite as good as Saturday, but it was a hotter day. Orange stimi with a psycho prince dropper was the hot ticket. Landed two nice ones over 12" and lots of the typical 6-9".

Just curious -- what was your stimi vs dropper take? Mostly on the dry, or mostly on the dropper?

PV_Premier
06-25-2015, 11:57 AM
Just curious -- what was your stimi vs dropper take? Mostly on the dry, or mostly on the dropper?

i have had bigger numbers on the dry fly, but most of my larger fish have been coming on the dropper. however, i did stick a real nice one on Saturday on top.

jrib
06-26-2015, 08:33 AM
Where is the best place to start on the NF Yuba? Downieville or Sierra City? I havent been up there since I was a young man.

EricO
06-26-2015, 11:30 AM
Where is the best place to start on the NF Yuba? Downieville or Sierra City? I havent been up there since I was a young man.

I'd venture towards Sierra City and hike a bit. There are plenty of places to pull off by the road, but
those will get hit the hardest because it's easy access.

I was just up there last w/e...lots of people at the turnouts.

EO

cdevine
06-26-2015, 06:56 PM
I'd venture towards Sierra City and hike a bit. There are plenty of places to pull off by the road, but
those will get hit the hardest because it's easy access.

I was just up there last w/e...lots of people at the turnouts.

EO

100% agree. Cooler water up toward Sierra City. Walk a little and you will be in total isolation.

left field
06-27-2015, 06:15 AM
The water above SC is fairly untouched. None of the 12" monsters you find downstream, but there are fish in every place you think they should be. Haypress Creek which flows through the Wild Plum campground has some nice little fish.

JFinrey
06-28-2015, 04:20 PM
Fished the NF this weekend (Saturday PM and Sunday AM), wild trout section beetween sierra city and ladies canyon. LOW and WARM water, lots of smalls in the evening but nothing over 8. In my opinion, its done for the season.

motosacto
06-30-2015, 09:53 AM
Fished the NF this weekend (Saturday PM and Sunday AM), wild trout section beetween sierra city and ladies canyon. LOW and WARM water, lots of smalls in the evening but nothing over 8. In my opinion, its done for the season.

I was there in the same stretch (1/2 mile upstream from Ladies Canyon) on Saturday afternoon/evening. Agree that it's probably done for a while, especially with the heat hitting NorCal this week. Really pretty stream... I want to see it after the drought ends...

PV_Premier
07-04-2015, 02:02 PM
was out there yesterday morning. started at about 8:30, water temp was 62 between SC and Downieville. slow action. found some more eager fish near the inlet of a few springs, which held the temp down a bit. i was off the water at 2pm when my thermometer read out 67 in the area i was fishing.

outside of the areas around cooler inflows/springs, the river is probably done for awhile. however, they are calling for lows in the mid-40s in SC this coming week, so that will help. up near Bassets yesterday the air temp was 70 and they had some nice showers which will also help the area above SC hold on for a little longer.

cdevine
07-06-2015, 11:17 AM
Good reports guys. Thx. I was up in Truckee/Tahoe basin last week and thank goodness for those afternoon storms. Weather is suppose to be much cooler with rain daily over next 5-7 days. This is going to help keep flows up and temps down. We need this to happen for most of the summer in the mtns.

Troutstalker55B
07-06-2015, 07:05 PM
was out there yesterday morning. started at about 8:30, water temp was 62 between SC and Downieville. slow action. found some more eager fish near the inlet of a few springs, which held the temp down a bit. i was off the water at 2pm when my thermometer read out 67 in the area i was fishing.

outside of the areas around cooler inflows/springs, the river is probably done for awhile. however, they are calling for lows in the mid-40s in SC this coming week, so that will help. up near Bassets yesterday the air temp was 70 and they had some nice showers which will also help the area above SC hold on for a little longer.

The river is done? Today's water temps was 56 at 8am and when my guests and I got off the water today at 1pm is was 61. keep in mind I'm fishing a upper section of the watershed few venture to that has colder water from over 13 spring fed feeder creeks or springs. There is still no new foreign footprints on beat 16. You can always check on my blog for current, truthful, and reliable fishing reports. I had to chime in because of the numerous inaccurate reports. I saw this drought situation coming from long ago, mostly my experience with fly fishing in 76 and 77. The reason I chose the venues I guide at now during the summer months. The NFYR will be very low,but it will still be cold. I'm the most open guide in the business, just PM me, I'm always willing to share - J.

cdevine
07-06-2015, 08:19 PM
The only river I would say is "Done" that I'm aware of is the Truckee right now. I haven't fished her since May and she needs to be left alone. Water temps there are in the low 70's during hottest point of day. The LT is probably a close 2nd because flows are so low and it gets tons of pressure but it does have cool water. A few of our other streams should be left alone after 2pm on hot days but best to take a temp reading.

Jon, I know you are so close to the NFYR and you follow the fish up to those cold tribs and springs as the summer goes on like a smart man. Dialed in is an understatement. Thx for sharing all the pics and knowledge. Really has helped me.

PV_Premier
07-14-2015, 06:35 PM
The river is done? Today's water temps was 56 at 8am and when my guests and I got off the water today at 1pm is was 61. keep in mind I'm fishing a upper section of the watershed few venture to that has colder water from over 13 spring fed feeder creeks or springs. There is still no new foreign footprints on beat 16. You can always check on my blog for current, truthful, and reliable fishing reports. I had to chime in because of the numerous inaccurate reports. I saw this drought situation coming from long ago, mostly my experience with fly fishing in 76 and 77. The reason I chose the venues I guide at now during the summer months. The NFYR will be very low,but it will still be cold. I'm the most open guide in the business, just PM me, I'm always willing to share - J.

Managed to find some colder water on Sunday after last week's cooler weather and storms in the Sierra, plus seeking out a few of the springs. The water was running under 60 for me all day fishing between 3800-5200' elev. The bite was slow in the morning with cloud cover but picked up as the day warmed. Landed about 15 fish in 3 hours worth of effort. Far from a banner day but still beautiful fish, beautiful scenery.