PDA

View Full Version : Towing travel trailer and want to bring drift boat, any ideas?

Brad Juan
06-20-2015, 03:12 PM
I have a few vacations planned this year where I will be taking my travel trailer AND would like to bring my drift 16' drift boat. Any creative ways of doing this so I do not need to make multiple trips? Looking into making a rack similar to a lumber rack for my truck. Truck is a long bed, extended cab dodge. Any suggestions would be great, thank you!

Brad

Cmcculloch
06-20-2015, 06:27 PM
Any chance the boat can fit in the truck bed? Even its its long, just tie it in well with a red flag on longest point. Or perhaps put the bow over the truck cab, and stern against tailgate.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-21-2015, 07:48 AM
They tow three in a row in many states but maybe not in CA?

B Kane
06-21-2015, 12:47 PM
Eide boat loader might work.

Randy B
06-21-2015, 10:20 PM
You can tow doubles (two trailers) in CA.

CA Vehicle Code 35401 - No vehicles in combination may measure more than 65 feet in length (60’ in designated areas)

pgw
06-22-2015, 11:27 AM
Randy B is correct, if the driver holds a Commercial License (Class A now, used to be class 1). I had one when I was a commercial officer and drove a friend's travel trailer and boat trailer behind it. I got stopped in Fairfield after passing the scales and it took the officer a couple of minutes to realize that my license allowed for the operation of any combination of vehicles up to 65'. It wasn't fun to drive and I made up my mind before I fired up the rig that I was NEVER going to put it in reverse.

Rockman
06-22-2015, 01:39 PM
I have been told by someone" lying fisherman" that the middle trailer that is hooked to the truck has to be either a 5th wheel or gooseneck set-up and that the last trailer has to be equipped with trailer brakes. Not sure if this to keep the length limitation legal or its just a safer set-up or both. Anyone know how true this is? I have a commercial lic. with a doubles endorsement. I was planning on selling my pop-up truck camper to make the wife more comfortable when we do our Klamath trip. I plan on hauling my jet boat with it.
I am curious PGW, was it like pulling any other doubles? Or was it nerve racking? And not only will I not put the rig in a place that I have to back up, but I am going to put a receiver up front.
Anyone know the real "doubles" rules?
Thanks

Lance Gray
06-22-2015, 02:36 PM
I have been told by someone" lying fisherman" that the middle trailer that is hooked to the truck has to be either a 5th wheel or gooseneck set-up and that the last trailer has to be equipped with trailer brakes. Not sure if this to keep the length limitation legal or its just a safer set-up or both. Anyone know how true this is? I have a commercial lic. with a doubles endorsement. I was planning on selling my pop-up truck camper to make the wife more comfortable when we do our Klamath trip. I plan on hauling my jet boat with it.
I am curious PGW, was it like pulling any other doubles? Or was it nerve racking? And not only will I not put the rig in a place that I have to back up, but I am going to put a receiver up front.
Thanks

I have a call to my friend at CHP I will let everyone know as soon as I here from her!

By the way Almanor Hex Hatch is awesome!

pgw
06-23-2015, 06:23 AM
Thanks

The travel trailer was a 5th wheel with electric brakes and the boat trailer had surge brakes, and it was not like driving a set of doubles, even though the boat was a 19 foot Bayliner, that trailer bounced around back there and could be seen in my mirrors using almost the entire lane. What I had was a power unit (the pickup truck) a 5th wheel travel trailer and a pull trailer...may have been a less hectic ride if everything had combined trailer brakes and maybe a dolley connecting the travel trailer to a 5th wheel boat trailer.

Brad Juan
06-23-2015, 12:16 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys! I've done re search on the getting a commercial license and with a doubles endorsement but found out that since I'm a type 1 Insulin dependant diabetic that I will be un able to obtain a commercial license...damn, back to the drawing boards!

Great news on the Hex Lance I will be there Thurs-Mon!

Brad

BumpBailey
06-23-2015, 03:43 PM
Sell the travel trailer and get a motorhome. Then get an extra long flatbed trailer, long enough that you could put a Jeep or a Suzuki at the front sideways and the drifter and trailer on the rest of the trailer.... Or, if the jeep and drift boat combined aren't too long just, back the drift boat attached to the jeep up the trailer and there you go. Motorhome and a spare vehicle with you to tow the boat around once at destination....

Rossflyguy
07-21-2015, 12:55 PM
Sell the travel trailer and get a motorhome. Then get an extra long flatbed trailer, long enough that you could put a Jeep or a Suzuki at the front sideways and the drifter and trailer on the rest of the trailer.... Or, if the jeep and drift boat combined aren't too long just, back the drift boat attached to the jeep up the trailer and there you go. Motorhome and a spare vehicle with you to tow the boat around once at destination....

That's ridiculous. A cab over and boat is what you need.

BumpBailey
07-22-2015, 09:37 AM
Go big or go home!;)

MichaelRichards
09-08-2015, 12:39 AM
For transporting boat you can think of We Will Transport It (http://www.wewilltransportit.com). Here you can get best services with reasonable hauling price. I have hired them for hauling my boats.