PDA

View Full Version : Yuba heat

yubaman
06-18-2015, 03:13 PM
Made it up to the Yuba yesterday in the mere 104 degree heat. With the drought, and stream conditions from many of drought stricken rivers, I thought any tailwater would provide a better option. I am not sure I have ever seen the water temps on the Yuba hit 60 degrees, but they did yesterday. DF & W was monitoring the water temps for a Chinook Salmon mortality study as the first few have begun staging in the deep pools. Apparently they are very concerned about the salmon making it through this summer process in 2015.

Anyhow, with tons of Gatorade, and a little early afternoon cover from the sun under an oak tree, it wasn't too uncomfortable. We did have the river to ourselves. The fish are definitely concentrated in well oxygenated and deeper water to avoid the heat. Fishing was actually pretty good. There were places you fished, and places you just didn't bother. By the time we got back to the East Bay, there was a temperature drop of 46 degrees, down to 58 degrees . . . wow!

Rubberlegs was the big bug of the day. There was 0 hatch activity during the day, all fish were taken subsurface.