PDA

View Full Version : Tahoe

njbeast
06-12-2015, 11:06 PM
Going away for two weeks in my new (used) motor-home. Second week I will be in Tahoe. Any suggestions? I will be staying near the Y, but will have my Jeep. Thanks. Thought about the Truckee, haven't fished it in 25 years.

Ralph
06-13-2015, 06:40 AM
The Truckee is pretty much done for the year. It is running at about 100 cfs below Boca, warm, and choked with green algae and Didymo. Trout are crowded into what available habitat is left and are ripe for disease. Fish there need a break if they expect to survive the summer.

Fly Guy Dave
06-13-2015, 06:48 AM
I would suggest you try some of the higher elevation lakes south of Tahoe, along Hwy 88, in the Hope Valley/ Carson Pass area. They might be rather low for this time of year, but I imagine they will fish better than many of the low and warm streams in the area, especially the Truckee.

mikel
06-13-2015, 08:33 AM
I wish the dfw would be more proactive about just shutting waters down. I know it's apples/oranges kinda, but I believe some other states are pretty aggressive about closing stuff off.

Frank R. Pisciotta
06-13-2015, 10:37 AM
I fully concur with Ralph relative to the big Truckee; forgetaboutit!

There's no need to wait for a mandate from CA D & W; use common-sense and carry a thermometer in the all the other local trout waters. Even then, the other local options for trout are over veeery soon regardless where you fish. I was astounded at some water temps I had taken yesterday at another local venue. Prospect elevation or fish for "alternative" species.

Yes indeed, the health of the fishery is first and foremost and supersedes all other variables.

Frank R. Pisciotta

cdevine
06-13-2015, 10:49 AM
I fully concur with Ralph relative to the big Truckee; forgetaboutit!

There's no need to wait for a mandate from CA D & W; use common-sense and carry a thermometer in the all the other local trout waters. Even then, the other local options for trout are over veeery soon regardless where you fish. I was astounded at some water temps I had taken yesterday at another local venue. Prospect elevation or fish for "alternative" species.

Yes indeed, the health of the fishery is first and foremost and supersedes all other variables.

Frank R. Pisciotta

You got that right Ralph and Frank. Truckee is done for the summer. I was out a couple weeks ago before this hot spell and that is it. I was tossing dries (yellow sallies and Ants) which was fun but I felt it was time to move on. I just hope those big browns and bow's find a deep pool that somehow stays cool and they survive. People just need to stay away.

You could try some of the stillwater stuff like Milton, Independence, Jackson Meadows, or even Donner. Or hit Caples and Silver over on the 88-89 side. East Carson and West Walker are also flowing good with ice cold water.

JasonB
06-13-2015, 03:14 PM
Agreed on all accounts. Truckee a couple weeks ago felt "past done" to me. I concur that we as anglers shouldn't need to wait around for the CDFW to come out and say when it's crossed the line of ethical fishing, it would, however, be a great step to see them do some further regulations due to extreme low flows, warm temps, etc. There would still probably be a few tools out there hammering away at it, but it would help at least reduce pressure from anglers.

Higher up in the mountains is a great bet, and ton of gorgeous places to fish. Can hardly go wrong really.
JB

njbeast
06-13-2015, 04:18 PM
Truckee is out...won't let my desire to fish outweigh the cost to our precious resources. Was thinking about Hwy 88...have fished Bear, Caples and Silver before...maybe the Silver Fork where it comes out of Caples...

Ralph
06-13-2015, 08:13 PM
CDFW is about to blow your socks off. Roger Bloom deserves a statue at the Donner Museum, perhaps even at the Tahoe City round about.

Frank Alessio
06-13-2015, 08:54 PM
I wish the dfw would be more proactive about just shutting waters down. I know it's apples/oranges kinda, but I believe some other states are pretty aggressive about closing stuff off.

Do you mean like Montana does it???

Ned Morris
06-13-2015, 08:57 PM
CDFW is about to blow your socks off. Roger Bloom deserves a statue at the Donner Museum, perhaps even at the Tahoe City round about.

Alongside Dave Lentz

mikel
06-14-2015, 07:32 AM
I was thinking Alaska and the daily (during the runs) decision making on open or closed for commercial/sport take, based on observation of sustainable runs...not sure, honestly what Mt. does....

It just seems to me that that if all of us can see the h2o is 75 deg, prob DFW can as well. If they know...they should act. Joe bait dunker (no disrespect to Joe) hasn't a clue about water temps and mortality...and it's not his job to...

NVTrout
06-14-2015, 09:13 AM
The Truckee in NV is pretty much a free-for-all, regs wise.....Its too bad though, there's some really awesome wild fish in NV. Im sure there's bait/gear guys taking most of the big fish from around Reno. I've seen it before.....There's a certain segment of the population that feels the low water is an "opportunity"........As long as the river is open to fish, there will be people who will pillage it.

On the other hand, if the fish are all gonna die anyway.........I imagine there will be massive fish die-off, especially Reno and east.

KathaarianLifeCode
06-17-2015, 04:29 PM
I will be in the north shore area of Tahoe for 4 days this weekend. I'd been hoping to try out the Truckee River, but after reading these posts I've given up on that. Are the conditions on the upper section of the Little Truckee better? Or on Independence, Sagehen, or Perazzo Creek? Any other suggestions for fly fishing in the area? It crossed my mind to make the trip up 89 and down 49 to the N Yuba, too. Thanks for any advice.