PDA

View Full Version : Dunsmuir help

Scott V
06-12-2015, 07:33 PM
I'll be in Dunsmuir this weekend and was wondering where do I fish? Staying at the Railroad RV park. Never really fished that area. I have my car so I can travel if needed.

DLJeff
06-12-2015, 08:23 PM
Nearly every exit off I-5 leads to the river, or at least to other access points. There are many dirt roads off I-5 that the railroad uses for access as well. Some have gates, some don't. Sometimes they're locked, sometimes not. A little simple exploring will find you access points. Another suggestion is to go to the little bakery on main street for a delicious breakfast, then go across the street to the Ted Fay Fly Shop and ask for suggestions.

And if you walk the railroad tracks be cautious of trains. They come upon you faster than you think. Don't get caught on a trestle or in a tunnel.

Jimmie
06-12-2015, 09:01 PM
Scott, be sure to go to,Ted Fay's Fly shop. Bob Gracy can give you details. I go often (and stay at RR RVPark. In fact will be there the 23rd for a week. There are many choices in addition to ones off I-5. At the city park is often good as well as the Prospect street access. I often fish under the freeway bridge and up (another city park. Also ask Bob Gracy about Financial Street. I have also fished just below the RV Park where S. 1st Street crosses the River.

Good Luck and Tight Lines,

Jimmie

cyama
06-12-2015, 09:31 PM
The access areas around Dunsmuir should be considered last chance areas… It is fun to hike about a mile or two above and below Conant or Simms exits. Hiking above Dunsmuir will get you to the falls and more wild fish. Have fun out there! Goldens and Salmonflies are about. Stimis and E/c caddis work in the evening, during the day fish the fastest water you can find with rubbberleggss and green caddis.