PDA

View Full Version : what lines?

Frank Gonsalves
06-10-2015, 04:34 PM
I have a sage z axis 11' 6 weight and an orvis hilos 11' 6 weight switch rods and am wondering what are the best scandi and Skagit lines for these rods? please help!

TaylerW
06-10-2015, 05:50 PM
Get the airflo rage or rio scandi body. Cast before you buy. The shop has full kits of many lines. As for skagit, you'll want a shorter line for those rods. Not sure the weight, probably in the range of 425 +/-. Skagit max short, compact skagit ect

Rmacneil656
06-11-2015, 11:58 AM
Rio has a really good line recommendation PDF of their website. I think for the z axis you'll need to load the older model rod PDF. When I was beginning spey casting I just bought their recommended lines, nothing but good things to say about them. Once you learn your rod and cast other you may decide you have a preference ( faster or slower rod action) and you can play with heavier or lighter combos to suit your desires. I love my scandi as is, but ended up going with two skagit lines: one skagit long in the recommenced weight, and one skagit short on the heavier than recommended side for when I really want to throw the biggest nastiest flies with ease.

DAVID95670
06-11-2015, 12:40 PM
Kiene.com used to have some great info but it is gone now

i was looking the other day oh well

briansII
06-11-2015, 03:51 PM
Hi Frank,

Back when I had the Z Axis 6110, I was using an Airflo 390 Skagit Switch, and a 330 Compact Scandi. Both worked well, but I didn't try a lot of different lines to dial it in.

briansII

Terry Thomas
06-12-2015, 08:25 AM
Start with the Rio line finder app...free. Choose the current rod closest to the Z-Axis, One. Find your grain weights and choose the brand of choice. In your case, Scandi short @ 390 and Skagit short @425. Remember a business card weighs @50 grains so don't over analyze this whole line thing. As long as you are near these #'s, you will be fine.

Frank Gonsalves
06-12-2015, 09:20 AM
thanks Terry