PDA

View Full Version : 4 hour radius of Sac, 3 days...best trout fishing. Go.

Gregg
06-08-2015, 02:45 PM
The common law wife and I somehow came up on a few days with no kids at the end of this week, and want to get into some solid fishing. We're gonna camp, don't mind a bit of a hike or somewhere a bit out of the way, but really want to get into some solid 14"-16" fish. Was thinking Hot Creek, but 5 hours might be pushing it. Walk and wade only, so Fall River is probably out. We'll come back with pics and a report. The Pit is a maybe, possibly McCloud...down for almost anything, stillwater included.

If you wanted to make the best use of 3 days, where would you go?

KJE
06-08-2015, 06:33 PM
10864I'd head North, swing by and see Bob Grace at Ted Fay, then cruise down to Ah Di Nah. Pop a brew when you hit the dirt road - if it ain't spillin' then you're not going too fast. Put in some hiking and have the river to yourself, aside from the stones that should be buzzing around right now. Drop by CalTrout's Mt. Shasta office to say hey, then fish the Upper Sac on the way out. Mossbrae would be a good escape from the heat wave in Sac. Disclaimer: the Upper Sac above town was very friendly last weekend. We even ran into a nice brown that had no business being up there.

cdevine
06-08-2015, 06:34 PM
Gregg, I would hit the north state. (Pitt, McCloud, upper sac). You can fish a lot of water where we still have "some." Some decent fish in those neck of the woods as well. You could fish some creeks and still water in the greater truckee tahoe basin. The Truckee is pretty much done. I would leave that water alone. I think your best bet is your first choice. Take me! Jk.

kylgrn
06-09-2015, 09:26 PM
I second the Pit, lots of water and not so many people (at least in my experience), fish all over the place. Though I hear good things about the upper sac, which I haven't gotten an opportunity to check out.