PDA

View Full Version : Missoula Area Trip Advice?

TyV
06-04-2015, 03:30 PM
Hello Everyone

I could really use some advice from any and all of you who have had the pleasure of fishing the area waters around Missoula. We will be there visiting friends who live really close to the Blackfoot outside Missoula, first week of July.

I have somehow never made it over to fish in Montana and this will be my first adventure. I would imagine that I will get 4-5 days to fish to my hearts content. I have read all I can about the 5 big named local waters.(Clark Fork, Blackfoot, Rock Creek, Bitterroot and Missouri).

Here is my situation. I will be walk and wading everything that I fish and don't really have a stomach for wade fishing the larger rivers. I also am not in the position to pay $500+ for a guide day. I LOVE to explore on my own and test my skills anyway. That being said, pointers in the right directions are always greatly appreciated. I am not looking for anyone's honey holes. Though if you found great water and want to share an area...I won't turn you down on that beta.

I prefer to avoid crowds and don't mind not being in the best stretch of rivers...not opposed to that either. I like smaller water as I said. VERY open to other smaller creeks. Have heard that the Little Blackfoot might be a good place to set out.

Anyway, feel free to pm me anything you have to share. With 4-5 + days to fish, I have time to hit numerous options. Greatly appreciate any and all help or advice anyone can offer.

Last, if you were there the first week of July and had to tie a bunch of flies before you went...top priorities? Looks like Salmonflies likely will be waning but Golden Stones may still produce splashy top action from big fish? What else? You have favorite nymph over there?

Help a fellow long time fisher out if you please. I have two young children that don't allow me to get out much these days. Eternally grateful. Thanks!

johnsquires
06-04-2015, 05:22 PM
I fished the Missouri with a guide years ago and it was amazing. Lots of big fish, especially in the evening. I'm sure this is something you can do on your own, with a few suggestions from nearby fly shop.

On a different trip, a friend and I were headed to Rock Creek, stopped at a fly shop and get persuaded to go to the Blackfoot instead. Big mistake. The few fish we caught were peckers. Lots of people floating through recreationally (inner tubes, etc). I wouldn't do that again without a guide.

Bryan Morgan
06-04-2015, 06:48 PM
I fish the Missoula area a couple of times every year. By that time the flows should start receading on the East and West Forks of the Bitterroot. A lot of Cutts, Brookies, Browns and Rainbows in those sections south of Missoula. A few Bulls on the East Fork also. A lot of access along Hwy. 93 S. Make sure you try a nice little Clouser. PM me if you have any questions. We have a few acres south of Missuola. So., I am a little passionate about the area.

Garrett S
06-04-2015, 09:51 PM
Sent you a pm with some areas to try out, moved out there for school last August and really love it up there

mems
06-05-2015, 01:14 AM
Aloha Fish On, my mother in law lives on the bitteroot in Hamilton. Lots of good water there. Rock Creek is fun to wade and has a variety of fish and types of water. The upper stretches have more browns and the lower has more cutts, bows. The Mo and clark fork have big browns, but it would be hard with out a drift boat. I don't really like the main stem of the bitteroot. The West fork is my favorite to fish above ditch creek. It is easy to wade and loaded with fish. It is a tailwater and has pretty consistant flows. I haven't fished the blackfoot but the north fork is supposed to be fun to wade. The Ruby has fish, but tons of mosquitos, reminded me of alaska. I love the feeder creeks like skalkaho and the blue joint. I fish those with a TFO 1/2 wt and have a blast. Flies, purple haze, number 1 dry fly. Wet fly, olive, or black wooly bugger. That gets the largest fish. Rubber leg prince will get a lot of love during the mid day. I will be there next september when the big browns, doo doo browns come up to spawn. You can check out some of my posts about fishing there. I love Montana, I am sure you will too. Mems.

Fly Guy Dave
06-05-2015, 07:09 AM
The previous posters covered a lot of the waters I would recommend, but as far as flies and the time of the year when you're going to be there, I would suggest you stock up on your caddis patterns (the EC caddis comes to mind), as well as PMD patterns. Hoppers are good for late morning and early afternoon. So much good fishing to be had in that part of the state. I'll be passing through that area shortly after you're there, heading north for The Bob.

Spicytuna1
06-05-2015, 11:38 AM
Beaverhead is always a good time

Blackfoot should have Salmon flies at that time

Bryan Morgan
06-05-2015, 01:33 PM
Go down and dirty my friend. Big fish always eat little fish. Hit the bigger holes, they are either resting or ready to pounce for another bite. Forgot to mention Rock Creek, if nothing else, you should see some Bighorn up that divide.

MickeyFinn
06-05-2015, 04:41 PM
You should be tying or plan to purchase a fly called the Purple Haze. It's essentially an Adams with purple dubbing. Some have a multi colored parachute. It's a great all purpose dry fly.

Don't tell anyone I told you but check out Fish Creek...

You will also love the North Fork of the Blackfoot that's just inside the Bob Marshal Wilderness. Fat cutts, huge bull trout. Good camping at the trail head and not far the Missoula.

yubaman
06-05-2015, 07:16 PM
We go every year. As a matter of fact, we will be back there at the same time. Depending on where on the Blackfoot you are staying, could determine where you want to drive. The Little Blackfoot is very nice. There are many small streams just east of Lincoln that fish very well also.

I would highly tout Rock Creek, great wading, and the commercial float season ends on Rock Creek on June 30, so the crowds there will be much lighter. Move around on Rock Creek as there is all kinds of great water. Also, you might look up in the Philipsburg area and fish Flint Creek or the upper forks of Rock Creek. They are East Fork, West Fork and Ross Fork. Again, excellent fishing, and smaller water. There is Blackfoot River Outfitters in Philipsburg that can give you all kinds of great river access info for the Upper Forks.

I agree, Purple Haze is excellent on all streams. Also Rogue Golden and Yellow Humpy for Golden Stones which should be coming off. All caddis and some big attractors like Chubbies or Chernobyls. Have a blast.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-05-2015, 09:19 PM
Check with one of our other fly shops, the Grizzly Hackle, in Missoula.

http://www.grizzlyhackle.com/

If you stop by the shop and get some flies they will direct you to some of the many walk-n-wade streams.

I think July, August and September are good months there.

TyV
06-08-2015, 03:36 PM
So much great advice from everyone here and via pm. Thank you all so much. I will post a report when I get back. Though don't expect much in the way of pics...I dont usually carry one. Really appreciate everyone and the kindness shown.

Fish ON

Bitter Dave
08-28-2015, 09:58 AM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm also heading to Missoula soon and the advice is helpful. I started another thread to gather more info but wanted to link the two for future reference.

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?36128-Visiting-Missoula-Glacier-NP-and-Bitterroot-Valley-in-Montana&p=159626#post159626

Fish_ON, how was your trip?

TyV
09-07-2015, 12:46 AM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm also heading to Missoula soon and the advice is helpful. I started another thread to gather more info but wanted to link the two for future reference.

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?36128-Visiting-Missoula-Glacier-NP-and-Bitterroot-Valley-in-Montana&p=159626#post159626

Fish_ON, how was your trip?

Hello Dave, sorry for the later reply. I have been crazy busy since coming back from our trip and not much time in front of a computer. That said, my trip was as good as you can possibly imagine...considering I had my wife, 1 & 4 years olds along. They were awesome enough to let me get out a few times.

The Hoot Owl closures went into effect the day after we arrived so it was really a crack of dawn until noon deal for me. I had 3 great sessions...2 on Upper Rock Creek and 1 on the NF Blackfoot. Both days on Rock Creek saw me land 5 of 6 species of fish(Rainbow, Brown, Cuttbow, Bull and Whitefish). The only fish I didn't land was Brook trout...not sure there are too many of those but they are on all the signs. The NF of the Blackfoot was my favorite. Up around 4 for the drive out. Then hiked about 3 miles in before finding my way to the water. I arrived on the water just before the sun made it into the canyon. First cast netted the first of an endless number of wild, beautiful west slope cutts...sipping and/or destroying #10-12 ant patterns in crystal clear blue water...a tip from another fisher at the trailhead. It was a day that I will remember for the rest of my life.

On a lighter note, but every bit as wonderful. I took my 4 year old daughter fishing one morning on the main/lower Blackfoot just outside Missoula. I fished spinners and spoons to try to get my daughter a few fish. Third cast, I hooked a 17" fatty rainbow in heavy current. Handed my 4 year old the rod, reluctantly, and she reeled the damn fish in unassisted(I kept my hand in front of the rod, just in case it got pulled out of her hands LOL). Another moment in time I will never forget. She caught another small brown trout, but the squeals, screams and excitement over her first ever trout...a pig no doubt will forever bring a smile to my face. PRICELESS!

I have thanked most of the folks privately who shared some tips and info. To any and all that I didn't, thank you from the bottom of my heart. It was an amazing adventure with my family!!! Dave, feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions. Have a great time.

EricO
09-09-2015, 09:36 AM
Hey Fish_On,

Coincidentally, I am going on a road trip to the Missoula area with my
wife next year. The primary goal is to take in the scenery and fly fish.
Never been to Montana so we are pumped. My wife loves fly fishing which
is a huge bonus.

What rod weight and flies would you recommend? We are probably going
there in June.

EO

TyV
09-13-2015, 07:10 PM
Hey Fish_On,

Coincidentally, I am going on a road trip to the Missoula area with my
wife next year. The primary goal is to take in the scenery and fly fish.
Never been to Montana so we are pumped. My wife loves fly fishing which
is a huge bonus.

What rod weight and flies would you recommend? We are probably going
there in June.

EO

This was my first trip to Montana as well. It will NOT be the last. Actually, planning to head back up next summer. Hoping the weather is a lot nicer and water temps much cooler as well lol.

PM coming your way