PDA

View Full Version : Fishing near Downieville

Bitter Dave
05-27-2015, 12:51 PM
Hi guys. I'm heading to the Downieville area this weekend for the first time. Anyone got any suggestions/tips/reports on the fishing around that area? I'd prefer to fish moving water but I heard that the NF of the Yuba isn't fishing so well and Sardine and Packer lakes are doing pretty well. How about Lake Davis? Thanks!

PMD
05-27-2015, 02:48 PM
I fished the North Yuba over the weekend and it was fishing very well. Small fish but eager to take dries or nymphs for that matter. It's a fun and beautiful river. Flows and water temps were really good too.

BobVP
05-28-2015, 12:10 AM
Dave,
My favorite place to fish in that area is Lavazolla. I have not made it there yet this year but it is a peaceful and very solitary experience.
Have a great time.

JasonB
05-28-2015, 08:52 AM
Not sure how relevant a fishing report for that section of river would be in the early/mid season, as conditions change with the weather. To me the NY is a great fishing experience, in the total sense; if I were after a "numbers" thing I would go elsewhere. FWIW my wife and I had a very brief window fishing there on Monday evening, and while we didn't exactly land any trophies; we did have quite a lot of action during a strong salmon fly hatch...
ymmv,
JB

Bitter Dave
05-29-2015, 06:36 PM
Thanks everyone for the info. Looking forward to some exploring. Any recommendations on places to eat and girlfriend friendly places?

Bob G
05-29-2015, 07:59 PM
This Summer the site of the old Mountain Creek Restaurant in Sierra City is open again, now as the Buckhorn Restaurant...call [(530)862-1400] ahead and request a table next to the creek.

Enjoy!

Bob

SB Gaucho
06-05-2015, 11:50 AM
Any ideas regarding how the thunderstorms this weekend will affect the fishing on the NFYR? Thinking about heading up there for the first time on Sunday.

Bitter Dave
06-26-2015, 05:07 PM
Thanks everyone for the info. I though I'd add some info for those who will be in the area...

Lodging:
We stayed at Sierra Streamside Cabins, which was decent but a little too "rustic" for the girlfriend. The hosts are friendly and they even have a sluice box and gold pan that you can borrow. The cabins are pretty much next to the water with a small fishable area just upstream a little.

Food:
Cocina De Alma - Mexican food that is ok, but both dishes had "foreign matter" in them. I'm hoping that it's just bad luck. Closed on Mondays.
Grubstake - It was closed when we went there. Rumor has it that the owner was having health issues.
Two Rivers Cafe - Closed on Mondays.
Buckhorn Restaurant in Sierra City - Yum. Nice setting and good food.
Didn't go there, but there is a deli/grocery store in Sierra City that was recommend to me.
I think that Coyoteville Cafe might be the only restaurant that is open on Mondays in Downieville. Closes at 2pm.

Gold mining:
I haven't quit my day job yet.

Fishing:
I actually didn't get to fish that much due to the girlfriend. I fished just a little upstream from Downieville and managed to catch a few. Also did a little bit of fishing around the Sierra Streamside cabin area (private property), but only manged to hook one small fish. Watch out for bats during the evenings. I explored a little between Downieville and Goodyears Bar but didn't find any easy access not too far away from parking areas. We also explored Lavezzola creek, but ended up hiking instead of fishing.

Others:
Kentucky Mine Museum - A neat little museum with a pretty good guided tour.

Black Cloud
07-25-2015, 10:45 PM
Bitter Dave , keep exploring