PDA

View Full Version : CP, Wickiup, and East Lake area campgrounds

DennisV
05-24-2015, 07:59 PM
I'm heading up to this area for the first time, two weeks from now.

I'd appreciate some imputs on which forest service type camping areas
you guys like. We're in a self contained 2wd camper van and I'm towing
a jeep with a kayak on top and a float tube also.

I'll probably be fishing East Lake and some of the smaller lakes in the area
due to kayak / tube mobility but I do want to check out Wickiup and Crane
for a follow up big boat trip.

Any advice appreciated.

DennisV

fishdoc1
05-25-2015, 06:06 AM
I'm heading up to this area for the first time, two weeks from now.

I'd appreciate some imputs on which forest service type camping areas
you guys like. We're in a self contained 2wd camper van and I'm towing
a jeep with a kayak on top and a float tube also.

I'll probably be fishing East Lake and some of the smaller lakes in the area
due to kayak / tube mobility but I do want to check out Wickiup and Crane
for a follow up big boat trip.

Any advice appreciated.

DennisV

Fished East Lake and Big Lava 3 weeks ago and did well with Zebra midges.Camping available both places.Callabetis should be starting too.Lake Davis was to cold when I was there.Most lakes have nice campgrounds.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-25-2015, 08:51 AM
I think there are some state campgrounds and a private camp ground on Crane Prairie Reservoir.

Be sure to go there.

Davis Lake is another top fly fishing lake in that area.

Charlie S
05-25-2015, 09:38 AM
Go to Recreation.gov and reserve a campsite. Many of the campgrounds up here are now on a reservation system and there are far fewer first come first served sites. You will be getting here at a great time. All the lakes are turning on and fishing should be great. Check you messages as I have sent you my telephone numbers if you want to check in. I can't go fishing due to an injury but I do get up to date info and am glad to share. I live within 45 minutes of all the best lakes here.

DennisV
05-25-2015, 08:47 PM
Thanks guys

Charlie, I'll call you on Tues.

Fishdoc, What depth were they feeding in and what size were they liking?

fishdoc1
05-26-2015, 05:47 AM
Thanks guys

Charlie, I'll call you on Tues.

Fishdoc, What depth were they feeding in and what size were they liking?

The midge pupae were fished 5-6 off the indicator. any black color seem to work. I understand there aren't blood midges in East. Big Lava fishes well with buggers black/olive best. watch the swallows, and start fishing callabetis or sheep creek on intermediate lines. Davis didn"t fish well due to cold water, but should be better now. Fish near the dam.

Scott V
05-26-2015, 08:11 AM
Report please when you get a chance. I am heading up that way in 3 weeks myself.

DennisV
05-26-2015, 09:58 AM
Scott

I'll be there June 7-12.
When are you heading up ?

Charlie S
05-26-2015, 10:55 AM
Forgot to tell you on the phone...I'm going to be in Lincoln, CA, 11-14 June for Grandson's birthday. Scott, what dates will you be up here?

Scott V
05-26-2015, 01:08 PM
June 20th thru 25th I will be at Camp Sherman.

betty
05-27-2015, 09:07 AM
Recommend Cinder Hill campground at East lake. About half the sites are reservable. For the ones that are not, if you arrive on a Sunday afternoon, you should be fine. East lake campground is not as nice, IMHO. Showers can be purchased at the resort. Fishing out in front of Cinder Hill and all along the east side of lake is good, all the way down to the cliffs. Don't need to go out far. I fished last Friday and did fine with chironomids, 14-16-18, fished down 9 feet, black and olive. Check out the discussion on the Westfly bulletin board, Oregon section. Recent discussion of styles of midges, with pics. Come prepared with callibaetis nymphs and dries. They should be happening soon. I live in the area now and am getting to know it and would be glad to hook up. Send me a private message if interested. Charlie Schillinsky has good info and will put you right.
Betty

DennisV
05-27-2015, 10:55 PM
Thanks Betty

That's good info !