PDA

View Full Version : Squaw Valley Creek near McCloud....Not Tahoe

BobVP
05-23-2015, 01:31 AM
Has anyone fished this stream near McCloud or is it just passed by on the way to the McCloud River?

I will be in that area in June and thought it might be nice to try someplace different. I have read there is an access just beyond Friday's RV Park that leads to the trail and creek.

Any information appreciated.

Frank Alessio
05-23-2015, 12:23 PM
Check the Regs... Closed down to Cabin creek....

StevenB
05-24-2015, 04:31 PM
Ah, I do not think that is correct. As I understand, it is open during general trout season.

StevenB
05-24-2015, 04:40 PM
Yes, just past Fridays, (right at the end of his model airplane runway), you take a right on a good dirt road
and that will get you to the parking area.
Been a few years since I was over there last so I do not remember exactly how far it is down that road.
I think about 5 miles to the parking area but I may be off a bit.

-edit-
Just drove by the road yesterday (05/27/15) on the way to Ash Camp, sign on the road says it is 2 miles to creek
so my 5 mile estimate above was incorrect. call it 2-3 miles.
------
Nice small stream with a trail along it for access. Narrow and brushy in a lot of spots but fishable.
empties into the McCloud about 8 miles downstream.
there are some other interesting facts about that stream, you can PM or call me for more details.
I am too lazy to type it all out.

Frank Alessio
05-24-2015, 05:46 PM
Steve... I will

(185) Squaw Valley Creek and Tributaries (Shasta County)
Only from the Bridge crossing on US forest Service road (#39nz1)
located 1/8 mile up stream of Cabin Creek (Northwest 1/4 of section14,
T38n, R3w) Downstream to and including Tom Dow Creek...

Where is this in relation to Fridays...Thanks Frank

Siskiyoublues
05-24-2015, 09:27 PM
Cabin creek and the parking area Steven references are one in the same and is a couple miles downriver of Fridays.

StevenB
05-24-2015, 10:05 PM
Ya, what he said.
I actually was not sure where Cabin creek came in, but a quick look at google maps shows it right at the parking area
as Syskiyoublues states.

BobVP
05-26-2015, 09:50 AM
Thank you all for the information.
I may take the new fisher to the upper Sac for her first go, but will keep Squaw in mind as she is staying at Fridays.

Bill Markwood
05-27-2015, 07:21 AM
I fished it two years ago. The creek is 3 miles in from the road. Just get out of your car and start walking down the trail. I think my wife and I walked for about a half hour or so, then I fished my way back up. The trail and creek are beautiful and the trout are great fun on a 2wt.