PDA

View Full Version : Southern Washington??

BobVP
05-19-2015, 01:12 PM
After 39 years on the Mendocino coast I am considering a move to Vancouver, WA.
I would like to think there are wild trout a lot closer to Vancouver than they are to Fort Bragg (6 hours to The Fall; 5 to NFF; 5+ to NFY...etc)

I don't need long dissertations (but if you are so inclined let yourself go) just some encouragement, positive reinforcement that I won't be in a car for half a day to find a few wild fish in a stream.

As always, Thanks.

Bob

aaron
05-19-2015, 02:32 PM
Why Vancouver? I've spent some time and fished there. There's some steelhead streams scattered in close proximity, and some of those have trout fishing in them, but it's not very inspiring tout fishing. You'd probably find yourself travelling to the East Side or down to Oregon's better water which is going to be 3+ hours. Vancouver isn't the nicest town either.

Rich Morrison
05-19-2015, 08:22 PM
Check out http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php
Nice forum and good folks there...probably lots of good info for you...
Rich

BobVP
05-23-2015, 01:15 AM
Why Vancouver? I've spent some time and fished there. There's some steelhead streams scattered in close proximity, and some of those have trout fishing in them, but it's not very inspiring tout fishing. You'd probably find yourself travelling to the East Side or down to Oregon's better water which is going to be 3+ hours. Vancouver isn't the nicest town either.

In answer to your question: Work for the City.

stonefish
05-29-2015, 11:20 AM
Western Wa isn't great wild trout country.
A lot of the small fish people catch aren't rainbows, but are actually steelhead smolts.
That being said, there is some opportunity to catch some nice fish, though a drive would be required
The upper North Fork of the Lewis has some nice fish, water and scenery. There are other smaller streams that offer some surprises as well if folks are willing to put in the leg work.
There are also some streams that offer good to excellent searun cutthroat fishing in the fall.
You'd need to head west to find those.
Lastly, it is a bit of a drive, but you'd be in the heart of prime searun cutthroat fishing in southern Puget Sound. This area offer year round angling for them in the salt.
SF