PDA

View Full Version : Delta 3 wt Smorgasboard

TPO
05-16-2015, 09:16 PM
I've been having a ball fishing my 7.5' 3 wt rod with panfish flies on the Delta the last few weekends. The fishing has been pretty good, an not only for panfish. Today I was out fishing from my float tube with my fishing bud Ray and between us we caught six different species of fish. Pictures of four of them are below; in addition we caught a bunch of bluegill and I caught one small striper. We caught about half a dozen crappie, the one in the picture went nearly 13", a very nice fish. Ray was cracking up to see his bent in half 3wt rod had a nice catfish on the end! I also caught several largemouth, the one below, the best of the day, went 18"/ roughly 3.5 lbs, a great fish on a 3 wt. This is a far cry from my usual 7/8 wt rods with big top water deer hair flies I usually fish, but I'm having a blast with this change of pace, its pretty addictive!

Tom

Ed Wahl
05-16-2015, 09:48 PM
Way to go Tom! That catfish is icing on the cake.
Ed

Ryan
05-17-2015, 10:28 AM
Thats really cool! Awesome bass on a light rod. Catfish must have been fun too! I've taking a youngster out on my boat lately who regularly fishes a 3 wt for bluegill. Even though he can fish any of my heavier rods already rigged with a big bass fly, he prefers throwing his 3wt with a small bluegill popper. He gets lots of nice bluegill and allot of bass up to 2lbs and has an absolute blast. His light rod handles the bass just fine for the most part. He's got me doing the same with my 3wt now occasionally when I go out. That really is fun stuff. Thanks for the report and great fish! 3.5lb bass on a 3 weight must have been too much fun!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-17-2015, 11:11 PM
Warm Water Super Grand Slam = Blue Gill, Crappie, Channel Cat & LMB