PDA

View Full Version : Scadden pontoons - Prices and Resale?

JayDubP
05-12-2015, 10:48 AM
Anyone know what is going on with Scaddens' pontoons? Or is it just because I am now looking and discovering what the market is?

I am looking to buy a Scadd3en pontoon, but am worried they may not be in business or there might not be much of a future resale market. Plus, only thing that makes $ sense is to buy direct from Scadden (www.northforkoutdoors.com) since they have the lowest prices by far or to buy used.

Has this always been the case-- that their "retail prices" seem to be baloney? or is this new now that they are selling through Cabellas and on their own website. It appears to me that the smaller shops are trying to sell at "Retail" but they will not be able.

Plus the resale market is horrible. Has it always been that way? A friend had his X5 on Craigslist for 6 weeks and finally dropped price to $700 to sell it. Another sold his Skynomish Sunrise for $450 after a long wait & last weekend one sold in Novato as part of a garage sale for $400.

For example:
Outlaw X5 Retail Price $2,200 Cabella's $1699 Scadden website $1599
Skynomish Sunrise: Retail Price $1,800 Cabella's $1299 Scadden website $1100

rossbo33
05-14-2015, 09:07 AM
When I bought my Sunrise in 2005, the "show special" price he was selling at the Intl Expo was $200-300 less than listed price.I'm selling mine now for $750 OBO

Ben Kobrin
05-14-2015, 10:14 AM
I had a Scadden for several years before selling to upgrade to a Clack. See my thread below for my resale experience. We had the boat for several years and loved it. Ended up getting about half of what we paid (got $1,400) which I think was fair.

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?29673-Scadden-NFO-Avenger-XX-Two-Man-Pontoon-FOR-SALE&highlight=

dude02
05-14-2015, 10:30 AM
I was interested their boats years ago before they were North Fork Outdoors. The show pricing has become the new normal pricing for most if not all of their boats. There is always a "sale". They have always sold direct. They started advertising a Cabelas a few years ago. Nearly all of the boats ordered through Cabelas ship directly from the manufacturer, so it is more of an advertising thing for the larger boats, with Cableas getting a cut of sales from their website/catalog.

I don't really pay attention to resale prices, but I see their boats here and on Craigslist frequently. I think they are generally discounted pretty hard used as you have found out. I have no knowledge of their financial position, good or bad. I read back in the day that Dave made good boats but the business was a bit overwhelming and North Fork entered the picture to shore this up and to let Dave design boats and travel to shows to market them. Saw him at the Sac ISE show this year.

I think for the price they are nice boats for regular dudes to fish out of. I fished out of a McKenzie Drifter on the Yakima in 2005 and it was a very stable fishing platform. A much cheaper alternative to a top end raft and frame or drift boat and a heck of a lot easier to store if that is an issue.

steveg137
05-14-2015, 08:08 PM
I have an outlaw x5. Wanted smaller model but was ooo and dsve upgraded me.
Little larger than ideal but it's been great on Stillwater and rivers.

I had to contact them for few parts over 5 yrs, sometimes took while but always got me what I wanted and also never charged me a cent.

JAWallace
07-20-2015, 10:24 PM
Odd--I had a Renegade for almost three years. Paid $900 new, sold it on here for I think $650. I bought a Predator for $750 used, new $1100. I don't think those are bad resale figures. However--the older frame models aren't as popular and probably take a pretty good hit. I am a fan. Both boats have been wonderful, and used heavily in both rivers and lakes.