PDA

View Full Version : McCloud PUP Camping

TyV
05-11-2015, 07:18 PM
Hey All

Looking to head up to fish the McCloud in the coming week. I have a small Pop Up trailer/camper that I will be taking. From what I have read, it isn't a good idea to try to get to Ah Di Nah in a lot of vehicles, let alone towing a small trailer.

So unless that is bad information and Ah Di Nah might work after all....Can anyone recommend a place to set up camp with a PUP camper close to Ash Camp or Ah Di Nah? If not, anywhere close in the vicinity on the way into the river?

Any and all advice appreciated. Feel free to PM me as well. Thanks in advance.

Fish_ON

JasonB
05-11-2015, 08:07 PM
Not sure about Ah-Di-Na, as I've not yet been there, but I don't think you'd have any issues whatsoever getting into Ash camp. Some good water there, and the PCT trail crosses the river there and heads downstream... lots of access if you want it.
JB

P.S. obviously I didn't make it out of town yet, but we are still headed up that-away and it would be fun to meet you up there somewhere...

Alosa
05-11-2015, 08:26 PM
I've driven my VW Golf into Ah-Di-Na, albeit slowly. No troubles, but took quite a while. It was worth it.

drdan
05-11-2015, 09:14 PM
I've driven my VW Golf into Ah-Di-Na, albeit slowly. No troubles, but took quite a while. It was worth it.

Ditto in my BMW 3 series Ultimate Fly Fishing Machine

PDills
05-11-2015, 09:45 PM
You might be able to make it to Ah DI NA if you are careful and go really slow in the bad spots. its about 10 miles down a dirt road... one time I helped a family out that managed to poke a hole in the oil pan of there Volvo station wagon. AAA would not come down the road to Ah Di NA. Ash camp's road is paved all the way up to the camp ground but there isn't a water spigot like at normal forest service campgrounds.

TyV
05-11-2015, 11:00 PM
Anyone know if there is room for me to pop up my tent trailer at Ash Camp? I am 100% self contained. Just need space enough to pop up and camp. I don't think I would risk my trailer on the road to Ah Di Nah. Thanks!

KJE
05-12-2015, 08:43 AM
I've seen plenty of pop ups down there, a little caution on the way in and you should be fine. Tip: concentrate on not spilling the Mt. Shasta Brewing Mountain High IPA in your hand, and that will keep you going pretty slow. ;)

Honestly though, I've seen plenty of non-high clearance vehicles down there, even in years when the road was pretty bad. It's absolutely doable, and Ah Di Nah is worth the extra time.

Bob Loblaw
05-12-2015, 12:18 PM
You should be able to make it unless the road was badly rutted over the winter, but I doubt that. The worst part of the road is between Ah di Na and the Nature Conservancy. Don't try that without a lot of ground clearance.

GeoB
05-12-2015, 03:16 PM
...space enough to pop up and camp...I was up at Ash Camp right after opening in my 19' Roadtrek. Avoid the weekends if you can - it gets pretty busy. Best spot (but possible challenge for backing-up) is the third (of four) site. First is not level, second and fourth prevent parking next to fire ring. Even better - the fishing was good! (At least from the perspective of someone who mostly fishes the Truckee.)

Bitter Dave
05-12-2015, 07:39 PM
Take a look at this thread...

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?30737-Ash-Camp-or-Ahi-Di-Nah

TyV
05-12-2015, 09:37 PM
Take a look at this thread...

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?30737-Ash-Camp-or-Ahi-Di-Nah

Thanks, I read that entire thread before I posted. Seemed a great deal of disagreement in what everyone felt was passable to Ah Di Nah. If that many people say they wouldn't take a beater down the road without clearance, I sure as heck am not going to risk ruining my trip and camper getting it stuck down there. If there is even a 10% chance, it isn't worth it to me....and I have been known to take vehicles I shouldn't down roads I shouldn't many times lol.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I think I will hit the Pitt for the weekend and Ash Camp on Monday...hoping the crowds aren't quite so bad. Hell, I don't mind hiking...I can hike the PCT all the way to Ah Di Nah and fish back in a day I suppose.

Thanks again!!!

Fish_ON

Randy B
05-13-2015, 09:25 AM
We've towed a tent trailer into Ah Di Nah before. It's not that bad. I've even seen a class C motorhome in there. Just take it easy on the heavily rutted sections. Also, make sure your tow vehicle has the torque to pull it back up that rutted road on your way out.