PDA

View Full Version : Yuba River Pontoon Drift Workshop

Lance Gray
05-11-2015, 01:49 AM
The Yuba River Pontoon Drift Workshop is designed for fly fishers looking to learn how to use their personal watercraft on the river. It’s about learning how to read the water, control your boat and gain confidence with your oarsman skills.

The workshop is held on the Yuba River. The Yuba is a perfect learning location with its different riffles and runs. We will show you how to transverse the riffles and runs with hands on training. Training will include reading water, setting up for runs, back rowing, front rowing and using sliding techniques.

Demonstrations will include the boats, comparing boats. Going over safety gear with hands on safety skills. Other boating equipment will be covered and demonstrated.
Attendees of the event need to have their own pontoon boat and PDF (personal floatation device). We will provide a BBQ lunch and all the drinks you can drink.
Instructors Lance Gray and Jon Baiocchi
Yuba River Pontoon Drift
September 28, 2015
Special Price $175

Call or email me for more information!

Troutstalker55B
05-11-2015, 06:29 AM
The Yuba River Pontoon Drift Workshop is designed for fly fishers looking to learn how to use their personal watercraft on the river. It’s about learning how to read the water, control your boat and gain confidence with your oarsman skills.

The workshop is held on the Yuba River. The Yuba is a perfect learning location with its different riffles and runs. We will show you how to transverse the riffles and runs with hands on training. Training will include reading water, setting up for runs, back rowing, front rowing and using sliding techniques.

Demonstrations will include the boats, comparing boats. Going over safety gear with hands on safety skills. Other boating equipment will be covered and demonstrated.
Attendees of the event need to have their own pontoon boat and PDF (personal floatation device). We will provide a BBQ lunch and all the drinks you can drink.
Instructors Lance Gray and Jon Baiocchi
Yuba River Pontoon Drift
September 28, 2015
Special Price $175

Just did a pontoon clinic a few days ago and I must say for you rookies, practice your back strokes, and your forward strokes in stillwater first. Oar placement, depth, and stroke is crucial.

Shout out to Outcast and their boats, my camo cat 9 is 17 years old and still navigates the water like a Ferrari. Awesome machine.

Get in on this tour, learn, and explore the big valley water in the ultimate taxi.

Cmcculloch
05-11-2015, 12:37 PM
I have a Dave Scadden "Escape", a so-called frameless pontoon with oars, anchor, and PFD.Would this work safely on the Yuba?

Troutstalker55B
05-11-2015, 03:18 PM
I have a Dave Scadden "Escape", a so-called frameless pontoon with oars, anchor, and PFD.Would this work safely on the Yuba?

The escape could work, but you really need 9 foot chambers for the bigger rapids. One technic I teach is to walk your craft down stream if you are uncomfortable or question the area with a leash. A PWC is a taxi in a river situation, anchoring is a bad idea In moving water.

Lance Gray
05-11-2015, 03:24 PM
The escape could work, but you really need 9 foot chambers for the bigger rapids. One technic I teach is to walk your craft down stream if you are uncomfortable or question the area with a leash. A PWC is a taxi in a river situation, anchoring is a bad idea In moving water.

Thanks Jon - I was just going over the "Escape" online to see the specs. I would like something bigger also. Also a boat that has longer more grip on the oars. It will work as Jon says and you can walk it through the rough spots. As Jon says anchoring on fast water is highly dangerous, many people make the mistake and loss their boats. Even us guys in Driftboats pull over to the side of the river to drop anchor.

Craig - I would like to see you in a bigger boat personally. You would be safer and more confident!

fishnbeatsworkin
05-11-2015, 07:46 PM
We will provide ........ all the drinks you can drink.

Awesome!! Sounds like my kind of outting. Sign me up

kylgrn
05-12-2015, 09:31 AM
I've been thinking about making this plunge for a long time now, does a pontoon open up much more water on the Yuba? I have a love hate, OK mostly hate, with the highway 20 bridge area.

Troutstalker55B
05-12-2015, 09:49 AM
I've been thinking about making this plunge for a long time now, does a pontoon open up much more water on the Yuba? I have a love hate, OK mostly hate, with the highway 20 bridge area.

Absolutely, drifting downstream allows an angler to cover vast amounts of water, and also to get away from the crowds. As I've said, your ride is taxi, giving you the freedom and the delight that only a drift on the river can provide. If you don't own a drift boat a pontoon is the next logical choice for exploring our grand valley tail waters. - J.

Lance Gray
05-12-2015, 10:29 AM
Awesome!! Sounds like my kind of outting. Sign me up

Email Me please?

Or PM me. I will get the info to you.

Thanks

Lance Gray
05-12-2015, 10:30 AM
Absolutely, drifting downstream allows an angler to cover vast amounts of water, and also to get away from the crowds. As I've said, your ride is taxi, giving you the freedom and the delight that only a drift on the river can provide. If you don't own a drift boat a pontoon is the next logical choice for exploring our grand valley tail waters. - J.

100% agree with Jon!

Cmcculloch
05-12-2015, 12:07 PM
Lance and Jon, thanks for the feedback and quick response.

Craig

Hogan Brown
05-12-2015, 12:28 PM
This is a great idea for a clinic. Good job lance and Jon....I have always said the Yuba is a "deceptively friendly wading river" and to get at the numbers of fish that most would like, having the ability to fish out of a floatation device is key...I routinely look at my top producing spots or a day guiding and where i catch my fish and I bet 90-95% of the spots on most days are not spots that an angler could wade fish but could access from a pontoon while drifting or on anchor.

Travis A
05-12-2015, 12:39 PM
Hey Lance and Jon,

I have an 8ft Creek Company ODC 816 Pontoon, is that going to be to small for this clinic on the Yuba? I have yet to use it because I'm not confident in my skill to maneuver it through tight situations on a river.

Lance Gray
05-12-2015, 01:49 PM
Hey Lance and Jon,

I have an 8ft Creek Company ODC 816 Pontoon, is that going to be to small for this clinic on the Yuba? I have yet to use it because I'm not confident in my skill to maneuver it through tight situations on a river.

That will work Travis. 9 foot boats are nice. But I just looked yours up - I see no problems with it!! Do you want to join in the fun?

Lance Gray
05-12-2015, 01:50 PM
This is a great idea for a clinic. Good job lance and Jon....I have always said the Yuba is a "deceptively friendly wading river" and to get at the numbers of fish that most would like, having the ability to fish out of a floatation device is key...I routinely look at my top producing spots or a day guiding and where i catch my fish and I bet 90-95% of the spots on most days are not spots that an angler could wade fish but could access from a pontoon while drifting or on anchor.

Thanks Hogan - you are spot on. I see the same thing over and over in my guiding also!

Lance Gray
05-12-2015, 01:50 PM
Lance and Jon, thanks for the feedback and quick response.

Craig

Craig you are welcome!!! Been fishing the American?

Travis A
05-12-2015, 02:30 PM
Sure sign me up Lance, I wish the class was sooner so I'd be trained enough to use my pontoon throughout the summer, but I guess September is not that far away.

Lance Gray
05-12-2015, 02:56 PM
Sure sign me up Lance, I wish the class was sooner so I'd be trained enough to use my pontoon throughout the summer, but I guess September is not that far away.

Can you call me or email me please.

Lance Gray
07-02-2015, 12:39 PM
Folks,

We still have a couple of spots left for this event. It's going to be a great day of instruction, BBQ and fishing!

Let either Jon or me know if you would like to join us!!

Thanks

Happy July 4th!

Lance Gray
07-14-2015, 02:59 PM
This is going to be such a great event. We have four people for the event and we can use a couple more. In fact we can take four more. There will be three guides for all eight people. With great instruction and great food - this event will turn into a early event. So if you're looking to explore the Yuba and break into drifting with your pontoon or boat come join us.
Instructors Lance Gray, Jon Baiocchi & Ray Narbaitz
Yuba River Pontoon Drift
September 28, 2015
Special Price $175 a person

Thanks Folks!

drdan
07-31-2015, 05:51 PM
Lance,
I just sent my request for the Yuba Pontoon clinic... I'm so excited about learning how to effectively use my new toy. My friend may also be interested (providing we pick up a decent valued pontoon for him....). Please reserve 2 spots for us and I will confirm when he's on-board.

Lance Gray
08-01-2015, 09:33 AM
Lance,
I just sent my request for the Yuba Pontoon clinic... I'm so excited about learning how to effectively use my new toy. My friend may also be interested (providing we pick up a decent valued pontoon for him....). Please reserve 2 spots for us and I will confirm when he's on-board.

I say your booking. Please have your friend book ASAP. We are full. I am on the river today - but I will be going over everthing tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks