PDA

View Full Version : Any NFYR reports?

PV_Premier
05-09-2015, 09:09 AM
Thinking of heading up to the NF Yuba tomorrow. Anyone been up there yet this year? Flows look reasonable for fishing. I have heard reports of "fair" action as of 3 weeks ago in the stretch from the 49 crossing to Downieville. Might also make a quick hike into Lavezzola. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Troutstalker55B
05-09-2015, 03:58 PM
Almost there....http://www.blog.lostcoastoutfitters.com/post/118350373366/mf-feather-nf-yuba-and-more-fly-fishing-report?utm_source=Website+Sign+Up&utm_campaign=4128a8aa77-Lost_Coast_Outfitters_Fish_List_349_25_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_5f6a219c41-4128a8aa77-92919861

Escape, explore, and lose yourself in the NFYR - J.

Ralph
05-10-2015, 07:33 AM
Yesterday the water was perfect, it came up a bit with the last rain but will probably drop quickly. Blizzard hatches of #18 termites in the late afternoon and evening. Small ant will work.

PV_Premier
05-11-2015, 06:46 AM
Went out yesterday for a few hours just above the 49 bridge. Slow start but eventually found a few nice groups of small, eager fish willing to take dries. Another week or two of warmer weather and it will really take off.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-11-2015, 07:29 AM
If the water is still cold, around 50 degrees, then the afternoons could be the way to go.

PV_Premier
05-13-2015, 08:24 AM
If the water is still cold, around 50 degrees, then the afternoons could be the way to go.

i was getting readings of 52-56 degrees. so not bad, but the fish definitely got more active as the day went along. if i go back next weekend i'll probably aim to arrive up there around noon-1 instead of 10am

cdevine
05-15-2015, 08:13 AM
With the truckee/Tahoe basin pretty dismal this year (understatement) I'm getting out to some other streams/creeks with some water. The NFYB and that watershed is in much better shape and because the terrain isn't has user friendly it will keep crowds away. Some people just aren't fit to explore a watershed like this.

I fished Battle Creek (via Fly Shop in Redding) and what awesome terrain that is. If you aren't in shape don't even think about it. That is some gruesome walk and wading in steep canyon. It will test you to the limits. I'm convinced most of these fish rarely see a fly because it was game on yesterday and I'm by no means an "expert." Most of these fish are in the 10-12" range but they are wild and fight like crazy. Add to the fun they were all on top. Fishing before and during a T Storm didn't hurt either. That is some of my favorite weather.

Explore some other water and creeks this year and leave Truckee alone. Nice thing is we are getting more rain and snow in the upper elevations! Hell, some areas of foothills yesterday got 2.5 inches of rain in about 1 hour. Mammoth and Kirkwood have gotten a nice spring snow and its coming again. We just might make it.

cdevine
05-15-2015, 03:19 PM
" T Storm didn't hurt either. That is some of my favorite weather."

Best be in a cave, we had 20 people in Colorado hit by lightning last year in Rocky Mtn. Nat. park. some in one weekend...

fortunately Tstorms aren't as frequent here. Then again I'm not in the Serra's as much as I'm in the park in the summer.

let me add, 3X as many fisherman are hit by lightning than golfers in the US a year though the odds are 1 in 12000 in a lifetime.

Good point. I should have said fishing before the buildup and thunder/lightning is what I like. The contrast of dark and light on the water does wonders. I'm not anywhere near the water during the T storms. More like waiting in my car or in cave like you said. Sierra's can be really tricky during the summer so pay close attention. Storms come out of nowhere. But sadly we are more like to be killed driving home or too the river than ever getting hit by lightning.