PDA

View Full Version : WTB: 11 or 12-weight rod and line for tarpon

SFMike
05-06-2015, 09:52 PM
Anyone have an 11 or 12-weight rod and the right line for it that they're not using? I'd like to pick up a rod for tarpon and get some practice casting it. Thanks for letting me know what you have and what you want for it. I don't need a reel (unless you have a great deal on a Tibor Gulfstream!). I think I'd prefer a 4-piece, but a 2-piece rod would probably work fine too. Just a bit harder to ship and travel with.

Thanks a lot,
Mike

DLJeff
05-07-2015, 09:32 AM
I have two 12wt rods I built from blanks I got from Larry at Chico Fly Shop. They're dark green in color - one has darker green wraps, one has goldenrod wraps. Milled aluminum reel seats built to Pres Powell's old design specs with two lock rings and 2 inch threaded fighting butt. Gunmetal TiCh guide set, all from Pac Bay, strippers have Hialoy rings. I built them to take to the Seychelles and they worked great for big GT's, even teasing up a sail or two. That's the only place they've been. I'm willing to sell one now. Probably won't be going anywhere soon that I need 12wts anymore. Oh, these cast smoothly and pretty easily for a 12wt. I guess I have about $240 invested in the rod (not factoring in my time). Willing to go half.

Ted S
05-07-2015, 10:37 AM
I have a TFO BVK 12wt, new with the plastic still on the grip. These sell for $300 new now. I would sell this one for $240, shipped including PayPal fees. Comes with a sock, but no tube.
Thanks,
Ted

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-07-2015, 10:48 AM
I have a TFO Jim Teeny 9' #12 line 4 pc in a rod sock that I use to bring along on salt water trips as a backup rod.

Never used it....so it is pretty much like new. Green in color with cork fore grip.

Would sell it for $100.

SFMike
05-07-2015, 11:38 AM
Hey Jeff,
Sounds really tempting. Can you shoot me an email with a picture or two just so I can see the rod and give me some more info on the blank? Who makes the blank and is it a 2 or 4-piece? Would you have a line to go with it or one that you recommend for it if you don't want to part with one?

Thanks for letting me know,
Mike
calciobland@gmail.com

chiefstout
05-07-2015, 11:52 AM
Anyone have an 11 or 12-weight rod and the right line for it that they're not using? I'd like to pick up a rod for tarpon and get some practice casting it. Thanks for letting me know what you have and what you want for it. I don't need a reel (unless you have a great deal on a Tibor Gulfstream!). I think I'd prefer a 4-piece, but a 2-piece rod would probably work fine too. Just a bit harder to ship and travel with.

Thanks a lot,
Mike

I have a like new Winston XTR 3piece 12 weight with sock and tube: $250 plus shipping.

DLJeff
05-07-2015, 01:56 PM
Hey Jeff,
Sounds really tempting. Can you shoot me an email with a picture or two just so I can see the rod and give me some more info on the blank? Who makes the blank and is it a 2 or 4-piece? Would you have a line to go with it or one that you recommend for it if you don't want to part with one?

Thanks for letting me know,
Mike
calciobland@gmail.com

Mike -
Here's a couple shots of the one with tan wraps. I don't know the actual blank manufacturer. Larry at Chico Fly Shop was getting them made (this was back in the mid-2000's). I trusted Larry's advice when it came to rod building and the price was right for a rod I wouldn't be using a lot.

Note I under wrapped the larger stripping guides to prevent wear and tear on the blank from the guide feet when the rod flexes. All wraps have minimum two coats of rod wrap epoxy plus the coat on the under wrappings on the stripping guides. Handles are 13 rings of extra fine cork shaped to a full wells. I have medium size hands and I'm 5'9".

I'll post pics of the other rod in a second post.

DLJeff
05-07-2015, 02:03 PM
Here's the one with green wraps.

Regarding lines, I used these two in the Seychelles and liked the way the rod cast. I'd rate them as fast (not as fast as a Sage Xi2) but definitely not medium or full flex. I don't have a line to spare tho, sorry. In fact, the Rio Tarpon line is still somewhere in the Indian Ocean. A monster GT took it and just kept on going and cut me off on a corral bommie. Our boat driver was too far away to get back to us in time to chase the fish. Would've liked to have seen that fish up close.

SFMike
05-07-2015, 09:48 PM
Hey Jeff,
I shot you a PM with some questions. I'm interested in the one with the green wraps.

Thanks to everyone else who offered up rods too. I have a friend that might be interested in one as well, so I'll pass on the info to him.

Does anyone have a tropical, floating 12-weight line that they'd part with?

Thanks,
mike

richarde206
05-20-2015, 12:28 AM
Hey Jeff,
I shot you a PM with some questions. I'm interested in the one with the green wraps.

Thanks to everyone else who offered up rods too. I have a friend that might be interested in one as well, so I'll pass on the info to him.

Does anyone have a tropical, floating 12-weight line that they'd part with?

Thanks,
mike

What have you obtained so far? What else do you need? For you and your friend?

John Reese
05-20-2015, 08:16 AM
What have you obtained so far? What else do you need? For you and your friend?

I have a brand new in the box 12 wt Cortland Tarpon line I would sell for $40.00 plus shipping...PS Mike buy Kiene"s 12 wt TFO, that's a killer deal.

John