PDA

View Full Version : The Low Down on the Lower Yuba?

VinnySteel
05-06-2015, 04:05 PM
Hey Guys, new to this forum. I look forward to talking shop and learning from ya'll, looks like fun! That being said, I'm looking for someone to point me in the right direction on the Lower Yuba. I have never fished there before and I was thinking about headed that way sometime next week. Are there specific access areas that are better for the walk/wading angler vs. floating? What's the best set up for this time of year, leaders size, length, etc? Suggestions on patterns to have on hand?

Any help would be much appreciated!

TaylerW
05-06-2015, 04:21 PM
Yuba has been getting tougher lately. Flows are up between 900-1200, still easy to wade but the higher flows make some of the crossings a bit tougher. No specific bugs seem to do at that well besides the birds nest in olive. Park at hwy 20 and take a walk!

TyV
05-06-2015, 11:35 PM
Welcome Vinny. I would say that I find the Yuba is as fickle as they come. Especially with the current conditions: low, clear water for a long period of time makes fish super spooky; covering water(tough when wading on this river) is really important; tons of pressure doesn't help. Honestly, this is a river where you really better just expect to put in your time...and a lot of it. If you want to ease the learning curve, hire a guide...or a few...a few times.

I will second what Taylor said, hwy 20 bridge and take a walk. You can also drive along the south side of the river with a vehicle with some clearance...offers a bit more access. As for flies...take a seine with you and sample every hour or two...match the hatch. A couple of other standards that should help you: red copper john, pheasant tail(I would leave off the flash with these conditions)...maybe swing an Olive Wooly Bugger.

Last tip...some very good information at: http://www.flyfishingtraditions.com/ including a hatch chart. I would bet that you could put a couple/few weeks earlier with most hatches with this year's weather. Again, take a seine, kick some rocks and see what you find.

Good luck and have fun!

VinnySteel
05-07-2015, 12:46 AM
Appreciate the tips guys! You guys have confirmed my suspicions bout the Yuba. Doesn't sound like the place you wanna cut your teeth on! I live down in Tracy and it's one of the last "local" streams I have yet to explore. I've been putting it off because everything I've read seems to accentuate how tuff the Yuba can be! Gotta take your lumps some time and I guess this week is as good as any haha!

kylgrn
05-07-2015, 01:16 PM
I've fished the Yuba on about 8 different occasions, no fish. Had similar experiences with other local rivers, they were all tough until I learned the trick.

alpen glow
05-08-2015, 04:25 PM
My 2 cents is just go and observe. Hike, don't over think it.
If you see me on the river say hi, I'll give you some advice there.
Sometimes the river changes hour to hour...
Don't get discouraged if you don't land a fish for awhile.
Even people that fish the yuba twice a week have more slow days than epic.
Just explore the space and don't have expectations. But at the same time be ready for anything on every cast. Fish are everywhere until something makes them wary. Wade softly some of the best fish I've caught lately have been 3 feet off the bank.
Best T.

PV_Premier
05-09-2015, 09:05 AM
Fishing on the Yuba has been tough for me the last few weeks. The best time to fish right now is in the last 90 minutes of daylight. If you are in the right spots you will see abundant rises, most of the fish keying on caddis or pinkies. I am hearing plenty of reports of people catching fish throughout the day on nymphs, but for me it hasn't been happening. February and March were epic.