PDA

View Full Version : Looking for drift boat advice

rouleur35
05-04-2015, 10:17 AM
Hi,

Looking to buy my first drift boat and looking for advice. Am interested in opinions on fiberglass vs aluminum vs wood. Also length, is a 14 ft ok for 3 people or would 16 ft be better? Mostly it would be used by 2 people on the trinity and the valley rivers. Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

SeanO
05-04-2015, 01:22 PM
14' is too small for three people. Wood boats need to be stored out of the weather, lots of upkeep it seems.

Good luck on your search,

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-04-2015, 03:53 PM
I guess a fiberglass drift boat or rafts would be quieter on the Trinity River.

High sides are for heavy water.

Low sides are for flat, smoother rivers and great for old clients to get in and out.

dude02
05-04-2015, 04:27 PM
Would not have wood as as stated above due to maintenance (though they can be beautiful).

Also agree that 14' is too short for three guys. A 16 x 54 aluminum is as small as I would go for three people. The rear stands in a 16 x 54 can be a bit close to the rower. For three guys, a 17 x 60 is much more comfortable. I've drifted the Trinity multiple times in both sizes. Both would be fine meaning that there would be no penalty for the bigger boat. The Lower Sac, Feather, and the Yuba are all easily drifted in this size, but I have no experience on rivers further south. I know some rivers are quite small and may be better served with rafts.

The bulk of all Clackacrafts are 16' models and measure more similarly to 17' aluminum boats. No problem on the Trinity. My guess is its the same for Hyde and other glass boats.

Lots of threads on the web on the aluminum vs. fiberglass debate. I've only been in Clackacraft and Willie boats and can't speak for the rest. Both of these manufacturers make great boats. I prefer glass but honestly if I were buying used I would look for the best deal either way. Most used glass boats tend to be set up for fly fishing whereas used aluminum boats see a mix of fly and non-fly set ups. It is not particularly comfortable nor safe to fish without braces and this can add some cost to remedy.

If the budget allows, buy the best oars you can afford. It is a night and day difference between the basic Carlisles that came with the Clack and a set of Sawyer MSXG's with Dynalite blades. Sawyer Square Tops with Dynalite blades would also be a killer set up. Shoal cut if you float lots of skinny water like the Trinity. Seriously, a nice set of oars makes the day a whole lot nicer.

Let us know what you end up with.

TaylerW
05-04-2015, 10:01 PM
Love my clacks. 2nd on the premium oars. Square tops!!

SeanO
05-04-2015, 10:44 PM
Good info, dude.

I will also say lots of older 16 x 48 Aluminum boats for sale for cheap up in OR and WA as folks are upgrading to a larger boat. The 48" wide boats used to be the standard back in the day and one might be good for a first time boater? They are fine for two people, you can squeeze in three people once in awhile but performance will suffer with more weight.

The trend is definitely going towards longer and wider boats.

Would not have wood as as stated above due to maintenance (though they can be beautiful).

Also agree that 14' is too short for three guys. A 16 x 54 aluminum is as small as I would go for three people. The rear stands in a 16 x 54 can be a bit close to the rower. For three guys, a 17 x 60 is much more comfortable. I've drifted the Trinity multiple times in both sizes. Both would be fine meaning that there would be no penalty for the bigger boat. The Lower Sac, Feather, and the Yuba are all easily drifted in this size, but I have no experience on rivers further south. I know some rivers are quite small and may be better served with rafts.

The bulk of all Clackacrafts are 16' models and measure more similarly to 17' aluminum boats. No problem on the Trinity. My guess is its the same for Hyde and other glass boats.

Lots of threads on the web on the aluminum vs. fiberglass debate. I've only been in Clackacraft and Willie boats and can't speak for the rest. Both of these manufacturers make great boats. I prefer glass but honestly if I were buying used I would look for the best deal either way. Most used glass boats tend to be set up for fly fishing whereas used aluminum boats see a mix of fly and non-fly set ups. It is not particularly comfortable nor safe to fish without braces and this can add some cost to remedy.

If the budget allows, buy the best oars you can afford. It is a night and day difference between the basic Carlisles that came with the Clack and a set of Sawyer MSXG's with Dynalite blades. Sawyer Square Tops with Dynalite blades would also be a killer set up. Shoal cut if you float lots of skinny water like the Trinity. Seriously, a nice set of oars makes the day a whole lot nicer.

Let us know what you end up with.

rouleur35
05-04-2015, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the info, now I will keep searching for a good used one.

Tom

pgw
05-05-2015, 03:03 PM
I have a 14 ft Clack. with me and a fisherman up front, it does well however, when there's a 2nd angler in the rear seat, the stern rides in the water preventing the current from flowing under the stern and instead the current pushes on the stern...causing the boat to "want" to travel faster and forcing me to back row harder to maintain control (and slow the boat to a better fishing speed). It's been my experience that if the rear fisherman in a 16 ft boat stands in the knew braces, his weight moves far enough forward to keep the stern out of the current flow. And on the Trinity, nothing beats an inflatable for riding higher in the skinny water...most of the scrapes on my boat are from the Trinity with just me in the boat.

Have fun, and try to find copies of "Driftboats" by Dan Alsup and "Drift Boat Fly Fishing" by Neale Streeks (Both from Frank Amato Books).

Dragking
06-01-2015, 01:48 PM
I bought a used Clacka WF last fall, and I have a fairly useful tip for searching for used boats. I searched Craigslist and other used boat sites for a long time, and I talked to a lot of people selling their boats. It became very clear that used boats in California (and on the west coast (as opposed to interior west)) are very overpriced. Out of frustration, I called Clackacraft to inquire about a used boat. I asked if they had any used WFs, and the guy said "probably, but none ready to go." I probed that further and found out that they often are sitting on many used boats that they take in on trade. However, they don't list them for sale until they are completely "refurbished." I asked if they could refurbish one of the WFs for me, and voila--8 or 10 weeks later I had a boat.

My boat was in Idaho (I'm in Redding). Clackacraft shipped it to Portland for free, and I drove up to get it. (I think they offered to have someone drive it down for a modest fee, but I wanted to go myself). Clackacraft completely refurbished the hull (fiberglass and gel coat) and resprayed the interior. The only parts that weren't completely new were the seats and interior fiberglass benches and braces. The boat looked basically brand new, and it was a 2001. Also, the boat came with a 100 year hull warranty. I got the refurbished boat and a new old stock (never used) 2011 galvanized Clackacraft trailer for $4,400 (that included anchor, rope and standard oars). I upgraded to square top Sawyer oars and nicked myself to about $5,000 on other accessories, but I never found anything used in that price range in such good condition.

Sooo, if you aren't finding good used options, call Clackacraft (both Idaho Falls and Clackamas locations) and see if they have something lying around that could be refurbished. I never would have thought buying a used boat from the dealer was a good idea, but I have been very happy with mine. Good luck!

bigfly
06-09-2015, 06:45 AM
I picked up a new Clacka 16 ft LP, with a Mega box in front, at Idaho Falls recently....Love it!
Promptly went about meeting several rocks on the Henrys Fork up in the Box Canyon....sleepers...invisible in low light/shade..
Warm River to Ashton is showing some bones already...(a little lower than average snow pack here as well.)
Wasn't sure about the soft floor before.. now I'm sold!
Where other boats would have stuck, we just slide up/over and off.....(Fear fewer rocks..)
A used boat would be less traumatic to start meeting rocks with...
Great boats, great service...Tell John in Idaho, Bigfly sent you.......
Come see me at Three Rivers Ranch if you guys get a chance....Golden stones have fish looking up....and Green Drakes are starting to show......

Jim

Dan LeCount
06-13-2015, 08:12 PM
To stir up the pot a little more, Ive heard nothing but stellar reviews regarding the new NRS drifter inflatable drift boats. They have a 14 foot and a 17 foot.

http://www.nrs.com/product/84062.01/nrs-freestone-drifter-boat

Brian Clemens
06-14-2015, 09:03 PM
Ill second the NRS IDB's. I have the 14ft Freestone and it is one kick a** boat. Thanks for the info Gilligan. NRS sent me a freestone demo, and only a few days rowing it, I had to get me one. Its that good.

I am on my second clackacraft as well. First one a 2004 ffb, and now a 2014 Eddy. +1 on the Square Tops, nothing like them on the market. Definitely upgrade your oars, your shoulders will thank you for it.

rouleur35
07-07-2015, 10:15 PM
I ended up finding a '99 Hyde fiberglass 16 footer. It has a 4 hp 2 stroke motor and is set with front and rear casting braces. Planning on getting on some water this weekend to practice rowing and then doing a drift of one of the sections of the lower sac Monday. Was wondering which section would be the least technical. I've been a passenger from bonnyview to balls ferry before and don't remember anything too crazy.
Also watched the clackacraft videos and picking up a book tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advice
Tom

SeanO
07-07-2015, 10:28 PM
I ended up finding a '99 Hyde fiberglass 16 footer. It has a 4 hp 2 stroke motor and is set with front and rear casting braces. Planning on getting on some water this weekend to practice rowing and then doing a drift of one of the sections of the lower sac Monday. Was wondering which section would be the least technical. I've been a passenger from bonnyview to balls ferry before and don't remember anything too crazy.
Also watched the clackacraft videos and picking up a book tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advice
Tom

Very nice, glad you got a boat!!

Enjoy,

dude02
07-08-2015, 10:05 AM
Current flows out of Keswick are just under 7,100 CFS. Pretty safe middle ground where you can navigate most places and larger side channels without worrying too much about getting stuck. While there are other gauges, I use the following on the lower Sac.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?KES

Always check the flows on the river you are fishing before you go out. Each time you drift you will begin to understand both fishing runs and preferred lines to run at various flows. For example, the island at Wyndham riffle in Redding is not runnable to the left at 3,000 CFS in a drift boat (or at least I wouldn't try it).

As far as least technical at 7,000 CFS, I guess I would say Bonny to Anderson or Anderson to Balls. While anything can happen anywhere, the most dangerous spot on the Bonny to Anderson drift is just down from the boat ramp a 1/2 a mile or so where the river bends and runs nearly due west and then turns south. Before the turn to the south, the channel funnels into a chute with two boils on either side that you do not want to get into. You will be headed for a rock wall, but a few simple backstrokes will keep you out of it as a side channel comes in and will push you downstream.

I can't go on Monday, but if you want to run the river Saturday or Sunday, I would go with you and show you down. We could either fish it down, or do a much longer drift to show you more water. With the motor that would be doable skipping frog water. We could put in at Posse and use my car for a shuttle.

Three other things: bring wading boots in case you get your boat stuck and have to get out and push it. Not that I would know anything about that. Do not anchor in heavy water. If in doubt, move to calmer water to drop anchor. If you free drift (changing flies, landing fish, etc.) pull the oars in until you really know the river. What starts deep can get shallow quickly and catching an oar can be really bad.

Oh yeah: make sure your drain plugs are in! (I haven't done that one, yet). And have fun.

rouleur35
07-09-2015, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the continued advice. Thanks for the offer to go with me. Unfortunately, I can't go during the weekend. Monday will be launch day!!

flyfshrmn
07-13-2015, 10:36 PM
If you're still looking for a boat, I would recommend that you consider the Hog Island boats, built in Steamboat Springs, Co. They are rotomolded polyethylene and are virtually unbreakable, and even if you do damage them are extremely easy to fix. I've had mine now for four years, have used it on the lower Sacramento and the American and have found absolutely no reason to be dissatisfied with any aspect of the boat or fittings. I fish the Trinity, but my skills are not up to the more difficult water in that river, and I don't think it's appropriate to fish the upper section from a drift boat. It's too small, too bony, and far too disturbing to the fish and other anglers to run drift boats on the upper section of the river. You can hear a fiberglass or aluminum hulled boat coming on the upper section for several hundred yards as they drag across the boulders and gravel bars.

To check out the boats: http://www.hogislandboatworks.com/

bg