PDA

View Full Version : Top Permit angler Will Bauer passed away last week.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-04-2015, 08:00 AM
Will lived most of his life in Redding, CA. He was one of the top salt water fly fishers of our time. At recent count he had landed over 160 Permit on a fly in his life time.

He developed the famous and popular Bauer crab.

He help his old friend Lincoln Westby start the famous Blue Horizon Lodge off the coast of Belize.

Will was very helpful to many of us in our quest for that first Permit on a fly. About 20 years ago or so Will gave me fantastic advice on his method of catching those spooky buggers. After I came home I wrote an article to save those wonderful memorys and great information.

http://www.kiene.com/portfolio-view/will-bauers-method-for-fly-fishing-permit-in-belize/

Thanks Will.....

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

We started fishing down in Belize in 1985, 30 years ago, going first to the famous El Pescador Lodge. We fish pretty much every mile of the Belizean coast in the next 20 years.

Others pioneers, like Will Bauer and Mike Michalak of the The Fly Shop, were down there over 40 years ago.

Famous veteran fly fisher Denton Hill was down there many years ago on an annual basis.

From our guide in Placencia, David Westby, we heard he guided Joe Brooks out of the legendary Belize River Lodge about 50 years ago.

Put Belize on your bucket list.....

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-04-2015, 08:01 AM
Will’s funeral is Wednesday, May 6, 2015, at the Trinity Lutheran Church 2440 Hill top Drive, Redding CA 96002.

Viewing at 10:00 am with services at 11:00.

Refreshments to follow services.

Many of us are meeting after services at CR Gibbs for a celebration of Will’s life. They have a open bar, all are welcome to share in the many stories of Wills adventures.

Hope to see you there.
Judy