PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Hat

johnsquires
04-30-2015, 09:31 PM
I apologize if this has been, as the lawyers like to say, asked and answered.

A visit yesterday to the dermatologist (paying for the sins of youth) got me going on this. It's kind of like a dental appointment and then doing better on the flossing routine, I guess.

I like baseball hats, but they don't offer much protection to the ears, nose, neck for us pasty types. I bought a nice wide-brimmed hat last year, but it's not packable and is in the way a lot when traveling.

I know fly fishers have an affinity for their hats - I even had a client turn down a hat with my logo on it because he only wears his hat when fishing. So what is your very favorite fishing hat? And pictures would be great, especially of well-worn hats, hats with character.

NCL
05-01-2015, 05:31 AM
It would have to be my Tilly Hat Endurable due to the sun protection.

Ted S
05-01-2015, 07:56 AM
It would have to be my Tilly Hat Endurable due to the sun protection.

Ditto! Tilly makes the best full brim hat that I have found. Great sun protection without being too hot.

Ted

johnsquires
05-01-2015, 08:05 AM
I had a Tilly and now I can't find it. It's probably living with all those half pair of socks I can't find.

Scott V
05-01-2015, 10:19 AM
No favorites for me, whatever is in my car gets used. And since I use a buff on my face I pretty much only use baseball style hats. But no flat brims, I hate those stupid things, they look idiotic.

TaylerW
05-01-2015, 10:36 AM
A nice straw Stetson is hard to beat

BobVP
05-01-2015, 03:02 PM
Tilley! I wore one out and they sent a new one. Best company I have ever dealt with. It floats too!

Spicytuna1
05-01-2015, 03:33 PM
My guide buddies up in redding wear something similar to the Wrangle when they are on the water.

I have a Bora Bora one and I am happy with it, roll it up and pack it away.

http://www.backcountry.com/columbia-sun-rain-safari-hats

I have always been a fan of Columbia myself.

My 2 cents

Charlie S
05-01-2015, 03:38 PM
Look up Sunday Afternoon hats...

mems
05-01-2015, 04:35 PM
I like my Leienekugel's hat, Mems

Terry Thomas
05-01-2015, 07:50 PM
Rivers hats, have had mine for several years. They are western style hats that look like straw, however, they are synthetic and don't lose their shape. In the hot summers I dunk mine to provide a nice cooling effect.

Ed Wahl
05-01-2015, 08:12 PM
What I find in my truck. A Tilley Outback with the foam yanked out is pretty nice. That foam insert may float your hat but won't let your noggin breath enough.

John Sv
05-01-2015, 08:26 PM
I have had some gnarly skin cancer at age 33 and 37 that required multiple surgeries and radiation so take this stuff pretty seriously now. Tula makes some great upf 50 straw hats that are nice and shady and don't look weird. I wear 'em for hiking and fishing if not too windy. They have a chin loop. If it is windy I go for the weird- baseball cap and buff. I run and xc ski in Sunday afternoon hats.
Agree with Tayler, hard to beat a stetson. (although I pimp around in a resistol). Collared shirts are part of the gig too!

Edit: I missed the packable part the fist time... For packable I either a: bring my sunday afternoons hat and resign myself to looking even less cool that usual or b: Bring one of my straw Tula's and wear it most of the time.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-02-2015, 07:59 AM
I like the old Lefty Kreh salt water hat with a chin strap.

Today add a Buff.

Hatch
05-04-2015, 10:18 PM
SIMMS SUN GAITER....... you can where any hat you want and you will be protected AND covered!!!!
HATCH

Mike O
05-05-2015, 05:24 PM
Tilley's are nice and all, but with that price tag, I can buy a lot of hats from the thrift store (including my Tilley)

atavuss
05-07-2015, 10:49 PM
Another vote for Tilly hats here. Don't forget to protect your hands, neck, etc. too!

NVTrout
05-09-2015, 07:27 AM
I've got 3 options I use.

Oregon State ball cap with a buff...This is my typical, everyday hat
Outdoor Research Sombriolet.....awesome, breathable sun hat
Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero....awesome bwo weather hat

I always have the buff....very versatile.

johnsquires
05-09-2015, 11:16 AM
I did a lot of looking around. Eventually I ordered (and returned) a Patagonia Tenpenny hat that should more appropriately be called a Dufus hat.
Ended up using my REI dividend to get a Tilly Air-Flo. I'm happy with it - and I know it will outlast me.