PDA

View Full Version : Tired of standing on the sidelines

chicowildcat
04-24-2015, 10:00 AM
I feel so frustrated about a variety of environmental issues in our state right now. Frustrated about the health of our state's river systems, frustrated about the lack of water and the fight over it. Without going into too many boring details, several years ago I actually spoke my mind about the how I felt our streams and rivers were being irreparably harmed at the expense big money in the Central Valley... and unfortunately for me, it cost me my career.

As the main source of income at the time, I felt devastated about the position I put my family in. Anyways, beaten, I've just avoided the fight for years now. But, I just feel lately that I can't sit on the sidelines anymore and I want to help in some way. My family history is entwined in our rivers, streams and lakes and they simply mean more to me than I can ever express in words.

Having shut myself off of these past years, I'm simply not familiar with the local conservation groups and their work. I know there are a lot of good people on these boards, with an amazing amount of knowledge...any advice you can give on local organizations I should check out/throw my support behind would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,
B

Darian
04-24-2015, 12:39 PM
As your example illustrates, sometimes speaking out on controversial issues (are there any non-controversial issues these days???) can have unintended consequences. However, you seem to've recovered now. Good for you.

It's not possible for me to try to name all of the myriad NGOs that advocate on environmental causes/issues here. A lot depends on just how much involvement you want or can afford. Do you want to pay attention to high level issues or do volunteer work??? I've been a contributing supporter to Ducks Unlimited and the Nature Conservancy, among others, but I prefer to be involved in reporting/writing about issues of interest to some on this BB or to federal/state legislators on a variety of non-related issues. You'll undoubtedly get a bunch of suggestions (all good, some may be considered controversial) from others on this BB.

You haven't mentioned whether you're a fisherman but that would help those trying to make suggestions. If you are a fly fisherman, there're some clubs up and down the valley that carry out conservation projects that might interest you. For example, Granite Bay Fly Casters in the Sacramento area. There should be a club or two in the Chico area.

chicowildcat
04-24-2015, 04:23 PM
Hi Darian:

Thanks, yes recovered over time. Definitely all worked out for the best, but still missed the idea of my old job. Definitely a fly-fisher, have been semi-active in local club for about ten years now.

Was looking at Cal Trout, Save the Delta and the local TU's website...guess I'm just looking to support a group of folks whose hearts are bigger than their heads, if that makes sense. Would be glad to help an org that's brave enough to take a stand, smart enough to be considerate, with low level of organizational drama and internal politics.

johnsquires
04-24-2015, 06:38 PM
I wish there were people like you, Chico, people who don't put money above all else.
I'll be very honest and say I'm not optimistic about the future of our lakes, streams, fish. Pick out an article on the net about minimum flows, for example, to help fish survive and then read the Comments section and you'll see what I mean. I have no idea who came down from the sky and anointed developers and demoted the environment and the many who enjoy and make their living from it.
The proposed Pebble Mine in AK is a great example of money vs. the environment. The risk is not only to the world's richest salmon spawning area, but to a way of life for the natives. The reward is to make a very few very wealthy. And yet, as with so many other projects that keep shrinking our wilderness, the magic words are: It will create jobs.
Do we have any obligation to our children and their children to ensure they get to enjoy what we enjoyed? Or is it all about covering the planet in cement and vacationing at pretend-wilderness venues?
The victories that have been won by such organizations as the Nature Conservancy, Trout Unlimited, Ducks Unlimited, NRDC are due to people making sacrifices, either financially or volunteering, people like you.

SeanO
04-24-2015, 09:22 PM
Kind of new to this area myself, but still want to welcome you here, chicowildcat!

Anything we can do to help our fish is good. I know TU and Cal trout are always looking for folks to help with conservation events at every possible level.

I'd be interested to hear more about your career and how you were dismissed. PM is cool, sometimes I wonder how much I should get involved in these matters as well, but then I think what is the alternative? After all, discussion is good.

I really appreciate your post,

Darian
04-25-2015, 05:50 PM
This thread raises the issue of the consequences (negative or positive) of speaking out very well. I would add to that the consequences of making/posting comments on-line. It's one thing to voice our thoughts but quite another to post something on-line. Comments voiced are noted at the point they're made and, for the most part, forgotten. Comments posted on-line are there forever and can be retrieved at inconvenient times. :cool:

SeanO
04-25-2015, 07:07 PM
+1 D!

Interesting who may be watching our activities online.

chico, thanks much for the info via PM.

Our fish are well worth discussing and advocating for!

Best,

chicowildcat
04-25-2015, 07:19 PM
Indeed Darian...and I better than most understand consequences. But, there is an argument to be made for a chilling effect that can happen when people are worried about speaking up for what they believe is right. I was thinking the other day about the fallacy of balance in journalism. Having some experience with it, I know many times an issue comes up for discussion where the vast majority of people feel the same way, but for "balance" in the story they insert the counter-opinion, regardless of how much support that opinion may have. I can't say I know how people feel about the state of our environment, but it troubles me that the vast majority may be voiceless either out of defeatism or fear.

Darian
04-25-2015, 10:52 PM
Agreed,.... I wasn't advocating not commenting or speaking out on controversial/personal issues. Just caution, and that we all should think before making overly emotional statements or personal attacks about specific individuals as the consequences of that can be costly. Maybe only loss of membership in this BB community or something slightly more weighty. Lately, there have been reports of several celeb's filing suit against those who've made false and/or misleading statements about them, on-line. In reality everything is a two edged sword.

On the other hand, making a legitimate counterpoint does seem to contribute to making a good discussion/exploration of a topic. Opposing points of view abound in our society (especially on this BB) and reasonable people should be able to discuss their ideas without having to endure personal attacks or retaliation. Although, with the current state of anger in people today, that doesn't seem bloody likely.