PDA

View Full Version : The other Big T and feeder streams???

RaffiB
04-22-2015, 03:33 PM
Anyone have any experiences fishing or exploring the other Big T, aka Tuol, and small side streams below Hetch Hetchy and above the Clavey River. Curious how the huge fire from a few years ago may have affected or is still affecting the fish through there. I know it was burned out good up by Cherry Creek, but didn't know how much of the Tuolumne canyon was affected

Was thinking of an early season trip up that way

Rafdawg_34

JasonB
04-22-2015, 03:48 PM
I haven't fished it since the fire, but tbh I don't think that it likely will have had too bad of an impact on the fishing down nearer the Clavey. Could be wrong, just a guess. The tribs are another story, and a bit harder to say how well they fared. Water is warming up fast this year! Check the flow schedule for this year as things will be changing around in terms of release hours and such. Some tough going in that part of the world, not easy fishing by any stretch.
JB

P.S. I'll know a bit more in another week, as I'm heading down there on Tue-Wed.

dsfj40
04-23-2015, 05:23 AM
Fished the Tuolumne about 2 months ago at Lumsden bridge. Hard moving around down there. Big boulders and big water caused me to have to hike back up to road then back down to river to get around obstacles. Was able to coax some fish with small green wooly buggers. Fish were strong and good looking. Fished a feeder stream right off the road that was burned to water and had 1 four incher come up for a dry. Only testing the water there. Fished for about 15 mins. Good luck!
Dave

JasonB
04-30-2015, 11:39 AM
So I just got back from two days down on the Tuolumne, and the word is: mixed. There is a lot of sediment being mixed into the flow when the release comes up during the day, quite a lot more than I had expected. When the release is down the slower flows are allowing the sediment to settle and the water clarity is quite good, just enough to make the fish not at all spooky, but quite eager to rise to the surface. The Clavey is in great shape right now, but will likely be dropping and warming within days. Did not have a thermometer with me, though I am usually not too far off in my guestimates on water temps (take it fwiw): Main T was probably in the low to mid 50's and the Clavey was probably very close to 60 degrees at the confluence with the T. A bit of a mixed bag in terms of bugs, even saw a few salmon flies out and about. Also saw a few rattlesnakes uncomfortably close. Looked quite healthy, and had apparently just shed their skin as I have never seen rattlers look so shiny, and with such bold marking. Poison oak also looked quite healthy, if anything it seems more plentiful than ever in that canyon. Saw exactly 1 other person angling. Very difficult going, both on shore and in the water. Not recommended as a good place to go to catch some fish (though there are fish!), really only recommended for the true anti social type who wants some solitude and doesn't mind paying for it with a little blood, sweat, and tears (and some itching if you get P.O.).

JB

RaffiB
05-07-2015, 07:53 AM
Thanks all for the replies. Pretty much what I figured. Hoping to get up there middle of this month to give it a whirl and will report back if I go. Scary that the Clavey is already at 60 degrees .Just got to check dreamflows to see the planned release schedule for the rest of the month

Rafdawg_34