PDA

View Full Version : Crystal basin

cmcdhuibh
04-19-2015, 10:24 AM
Took a drive up and checked ice house its low but not bad the ramp is steep and a longways down.
Wrights lake is posted closed at ice house road but i didn't drive up there. The camp area probably hasn't been cleaned up yet. It's early season although there isn't any snow. Union Valley looks typical to me I don't ever remember seeing that lake full. Gerle creek res. closed and very low, camp ground open.
Loon lake very low and no snow except on top of the peaks but not much. This lake may suffer this summer though it gets some rain all summer.
The NID ditch has a lot of water running into Union Valley.
I fished a little at Loon but didn't see any thing rising on any of the lakes.
You can see some of burnt areas along Wentworth springs rd around Gerle creek area.

cdevine
04-19-2015, 04:22 PM
Took a drive up and checked ice house its low but not bad the ramp is steep and a longways down.
Wrights lake is posted closed at ice house road but i didn't drive up there. The camp area probably hasn't been cleaned up yet. It's early season although there isn't any snow. Union Valley looks typical to me I don't ever remember seeing that lake full. Gerle creek res. closed and very low, camp ground open.
Loon lake very low and no snow except on top of the peaks but not much. This lake may suffer this summer though it gets some rain all summer.
The NID ditch has a lot of water running into Union Valley.
I fished a little at Loon but didn't see any thing rising on any of the lakes.
You can see some of burnt areas along Wentworth springs rd around Gerle creek area.

Thanks for the update.
I hiked down into Silver Creek up near Ice House off Peavine Ridge rd and came away with a lot more cuts and bruises than fish. I only had a few hours so I couldn't make it all the way up the hill. That little creek looked prime right now. Running cold and clear but I didn't get anything. I didn't even see a fish. You hear stories about some small rainbows and browns holding in these creeks but 4 years of drought could be catching up to these little creeks.

TaylerW
04-20-2015, 08:56 PM
Just got back from the crystal basin. Found some larger fish crushing small baitfish in some coves, and found dry fly action during the heat of the day on a smaller creek. Gotta have stable temps for a few days. It's not the daytime highs that make the difference, but the night time lows

cmcdhuibh
06-08-2015, 08:19 PM
Wrights lake area is still closed, I don't know whats up, you can park off the road by the ranger house and walk in though.
I didn't to many cars/trucks there.
Went back down to Ice house but didn't catch any thing.

Fly Guy Dave
06-09-2015, 06:48 AM
Just a heads up about Icehouse Road, after it turns off to go up to Loon Lake: I was there yesterday and there is a road crew there to replace the road. The road is now one way and I was talking to one of the stop sign holders during the 15 minute wait, and she told me that once the pavement is taken up, the delays will be at least a half hour in each direction. Something to think about if you're thinking of fishing Loon Lake or backpacking into the north part of Desolation Wilderness to fish those lakes.

BTW: the fishing was SLOW. No strikes, no cruisers and I only saw one fish rise in four hours of fishing. There was a decent ant hatch, too, but I couldn't hook into anything. Still a nice day to be in the mountains! :)