PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Suggestions

johnsquires
04-11-2015, 04:53 PM
I'll be picking up my raft/pontoon trailer next weekend (in Oregon, so, unfortunately for me, I may miss the function at Kiene's). My plan is to do more camping this year in NoCal, leave a day or so early and get a nice spot, then have my wife join me after she gets off work on Friday.
So keeping in mind that I don't like crowds or noisy neighbors, I'm looking for suggestions on where to go. Tough year, I realize, because of the water situation, but it is what it is. Good fishing would be nice, but I'm all about the total experience, so peace and quite and a view are just as important.
I camped a lot when I was younger, so I'm pretty familiar with most areas in NoCal, but I got away from it in my older years because of the crowds. Now there's the grandkids that should have that experience.
Thanks for any help.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-11-2015, 10:21 PM
Streams or lakes for trout?

SeanO
04-11-2015, 11:41 PM
McKenzie river in Oregon has a few places to pitch a tent and fish once you're up there.

Rogue river is also on the way.

Have a good trip, John!

johnsquires
04-12-2015, 07:33 AM
Streams or lakes for trout?

I'd like to start using my inflatable more, so I'm thinking lakes.

johnsquires
04-12-2015, 04:48 PM
McKenzie river in Oregon has a few places to pitch a tent and fish once you're up there.

Rogue river is also on the way.

Have a good trip, John!

I should have made myself more clear. For most of these trips, I'm looking to find places in NoCal, something in the 4-hr drive range from the Bay Area.
But thank you for responding, Salmonid. I'm guessing others are not responding because they're afraid I'll catch all the fish at their favorite place.

johnsquires
04-12-2015, 06:37 PM
Or the lack of response may be due to the fact I set forth the caveat "keeping in mind that I don't like crowds" there's nothing to recommend, in which case that would be pretty sad.

John H
04-13-2015, 09:00 PM
Manzanita is a good lake with a nice campground. Lewiston Lake also. Both are probably 4 hours from the BA. Everything is crowded now in the summer. No getting away from the 40 million other Californians.

johnsquires
04-15-2015, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.
Thanks especially to those who sent private messages telling me their secret spots. I promise to keep them secret.