PDA

View Full Version : spey lines

beachbum2
04-04-2015, 02:44 PM
Hello All,

I know each one has their pros and cons, BUT I was curious and wanted to take a poll. Do you prefer a shooting line where you can attach a scandi, skagit or other shooting head? OR do you prefer an integrated running line that incorporates both? What does everyone think?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-04-2015, 03:44 PM
Spey expert Doug Duncan told me that one of the advantages of a separate loop to loop head and running line is the fact that you can choose the running line type and diameter that you prefer.

It is getting hard to find an integrated Spey line now.

*Integrated lines are good for single handed Spey casting because you haul with them some.

beachbum2
04-04-2015, 03:49 PM
Bill....let me ask this: if u wanted to primarily use spey casting techniques with a single handed rod, Jeff Putnam's class is great, would you line a single handed rod with an integrated spey line? I know the line difference is 3, so say an 8wt single hand rod with a 5wt RIO Switch Chucker or a 5wt RIO switch line?

hwchubb
04-04-2015, 03:51 PM
Loop to loop also means fewer spools. I just switch between skagit and skandi lines, looped onto the running line. Takes all of five minutes (frozen finger times may vary).

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-05-2015, 09:45 AM
Bill....let me ask this: if u wanted to primarily use spey casting techniques with a single handed rod, Jeff Putnam's class is great, would you line a single handed rod with an integrated spey line? I know the line difference is 3, so say an 8wt single hand rod with a 5wt RIO Switch Chucker or a 5wt RIO switch line?

For Single handed Spey the Wulff Ambush line is very popular with Versi/Poly leaders.

http://royalwulff.com/products/ambush-fly-line/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROWYZPaiNd4

I am sure some of the other lines will work as well.

I would talk with Jeff Putnam about getting the right line for single handed Spey casting for your fly rod.

troutless
04-05-2015, 10:22 PM
With an integrated runner you are really wedded to that line, full lines are a pain to switch out. With a shooting head/ running line system, on the same reel, same rod, you can fish anything from a short skagit (20 ft head), scandis (30+ ft head), short speys (40-50ft), mid-bellys (50-60 ft), and long heads (60-70ft+). Full floating, intermediates, full sinking, whatever, just switch out the head. On-the-water or in-the-boat swaps are not a big deal.

What you lose is... you will have one more loop running through the guides when you strip line in/out and bring in a fish. This really annoys some people. If you are swinging flies it is not a big deal. If you are stripping flies, it probably is.

Some people like the ability of an integrated line to precisely tailor length/load of the head outside the rod. You can achieve some of this effect by varying overhand in a shooting head system but not all. I'm more with Doug (via Bill), the ability to choose the specific runner you want is a bigger advantage.

As far as hauling...you can absolutely haul with a shooting head + running line system. Yes, it is a bit trickier, and yes, you must have the skill and timing to manage the proper length of line outside the guides, and not strip that knot back up next to the guides. But to be perfectly honest/blunt, if you can double-haul on a single-handed single-spey, neither of which are trivial skills to master, you probably have the control and line awareness necessary to haul a shooting head with a big fat loop junction in the middle and not get it tangled in the guides.

briansII
04-27-2015, 01:36 PM
I bought a white 20# mono running line for a switch rod, What type of a knot is used to make a large loop on the mono for attaching a head. I've seen the airflo ridge line that have a loop large enough to pass the whole shooting head through for ease of changing. Will this be a problem having that large loop on stiff mono? Has anyone used a slip knot for this (hang mans knot)? With the hang mans knot you could put a overhand knot in the line so the knot won't close all the way and trap the loop on the head to tight. Hollow Braid loop?

I've never heard of a "white", mono running line, but if that's what it is, this knot should work well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrDseHoMq6I

briansII

Terry Thomas
04-27-2015, 09:13 PM
bb,
For single hand Spey casting, a full line would be preferable and the Ambush line is a reasonable choice. Another good choice is the Rio Grand line up sized by two. If you are not in a major hurry, I have heard that Rio may just have what you and many other single hand casters are looking for....in the near future. I don't know the time line, however, there is a demand and if you can produce a carp line, one would think you could produce a single hand Spey line.