PDA

View Full Version : Smallies--Jenkinson Lake

JAWallace
03-30-2015, 07:20 PM
WT was only 56°, but went up yesterday and worked hard for two nice smallies. One male, one female, and the female was on the bed. Both terrific fighters, better than the average smallie. Don't be afraid to go deeper than you might expect, that's where they are now. Strip, strip, crack a beer, strip, strip, etc.

David Lee
03-31-2015, 07:27 AM
Nice !!

I've had some epic topwater fishing there in mid-April , hope this year is good !

D.~

JAWallace
03-31-2015, 07:55 AM
The water was lower this weekend than it was last June. We had no interest in topwater, and we pounded the known spots--probably too cold still Noted that Gene reported Scotts Flat at about the same temp over a month ago. I'd think they would be about the same as the elevations are very close. Pardee is certainly warmer--time to hit it.

gene goss
03-31-2015, 09:24 AM
LC......i was at Sly Park yesterday, i fished the same area as you for no grabs, i did see some empty nest, and my thermometer said that the water was 60 degrees at noon, and its the same one i used for scotts flats????? .......i think that the smallmouth has spawn already at Sly Park..... I'm chasing the water temp up the hill, going to be fishing Union Valley in a couple of days....then Stampede Reservoir. I'm no expert on smallmouth fishing, but all the smallmouth will not spawn in a given year, if you have low water condition.
Here a little info on smallmouth http://www.bassmaster.com/tips/spawn-time-smallmouth

JAWallace
03-31-2015, 10:12 AM
Good article. Apparently it's time to break out the Deep Six. I did prowl the shores and drop offs down to about 30' and didn't graph anything that looked like a bass though. I don't expect to see them in the sonar at shallow depths, but beyond 15' or so they should show up, and didn't.

I can't account for the difference in water temp, but it did get to 58° when we left around 1:30 PM. I'll bring the pool thermo to test against the Lowrance reading next time.