PDA

View Full Version : Discounted Outboards

Dragking
03-27-2015, 09:19 AM
I am about to buy a Tohatsu outboard for my drift boat, and I cam across a website called online outboards(http://onlineoutboards.com/tohatsu-6-hp-outboards.html), which seems to be beating the next best price I can find by a few hundred dollars (and shipping is cheap). Has anyone bought a motor from this site or one like it? Is there any downside to doing so (other than not supporting your local outboard salesman)?

Thanks,

B

Darian
03-27-2015, 09:34 AM
I've not used this vendor but I'd say Insurance/shipping costs must be very high. That amount might offset any discount.

Dragking
03-27-2015, 09:48 AM
That's what I would have thought, but they seem to offer free shipping and home deliver shipping for $63.

Darian
03-27-2015, 10:04 AM
Home delivery??? I can just see the UPS guy off-loading the outboard and dragging it up to the porch, knocking on the door and then leaving before anyone answers.... ;)

Actually, it sounds like a decent deal. Now all you need is some info from someone whose used them before. Sorry I couldn't help there.

markz
03-27-2015, 10:24 AM
Hi,
I actually bought a 3.5 hp Tohatsu from them about three years ago. The motor came in a big cardboard box. No issues on delivery and I still have the motor.

I think they manufacture the motors in TN for Tohatsu and Nissan.

MarkZ

jds108
03-27-2015, 12:34 PM
No downside, just do it. (and use google to find the best price) I bought my 30 hp Merc tiller that way. That didn't include shipping so I paid $400 to a freight company but still came out over $1000 ahead of buying local. My nearest dealer (90 miles away) didn't want to price match or come close, so their loss. Markup on these things has to be ridiculous, particularly if like me you're willing to prepay to get one ordered from the factory so there is no cost to the dealer of having it sit around in inventory.

Dragking
03-30-2015, 02:34 PM
Thanks, all. I ordered the motor online and got a call within 2 minutes explaining that it was out of stock until next week and that it would ship out as soon as it comes in. The motor was $400 less than any dealer has it for, and the shipping (from TN to California) is free. No TN tax either, although I'll like pay tax in CA when I register the boat.

I will reply to this thread to let you know how things pan out.

fishngy
05-06-2015, 09:58 AM
So, How did everything turnout? Looking at the same website and want to get a 10 hp for my boat. Any issues with the delivery? Thanks, Bill

Dragking
05-07-2015, 09:53 AM
Generally, everything turned out well. Within minutes of ordering the motor, I received a call from one of the guys in the TN distribution center telling me the motor was back ordered. I am not sure whether this is standard, but it took the motor a few weeks to arrive in TN, then it took about 4 days to ship to CA (for free, with tracking). The motor was nicely boxed and showed up in good shape. The motor came with all the standard equipment (extra plug, tool kit, manuals, etc.) The motor already had oil in the bottom end, so all I had to do was add engine oil and gas and start her up. I've only run the motor for about two hours, but it runs well, starts right up and seems to be great.

In short, if you have a timing issue (e.g., need the outboard for a trip), I would call in advance to make sure your model is in stock. (By the way, their customer service is really good, and real humans answer the phone.) I would recommend them.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

B